Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 9:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Just wanting to confirm, if I request a MileagePlus award for a two leg itinerary with one leg international (Polaris) and one leg domestic and only the domestic leg gets upgraded, I get my miles and co-pay refunder, correct?

(Currently waitlisted on the Polaris leg FRA-IAH, but domestic leg upgraded immediately)
Yes this is true for mileage upgrades (and GPUs), more in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-upgraded.html
Old May 1, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes this is true for mileage upgrades (and GPUs), more in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-upgraded.html
Thanks, I knew there was a thread for it, but couldn't find it.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tagshell
Had a booked saver award in business, KRK-VIE-LAX-SFO with the first two segments on OS.

KRK-VIE was delayed and I would miss the LAX flight, so agents at the airport rerouted me KRK-FRA-SFO with the FRA-SFO flight on United.

Would UA refund me the difference between the United Award rate and the Partner award rate since I ended up flying United?
Been a while since I had to do this but I was successful in a similar scenario once before. Call in, explain that you were rebooked and want to be charged the correct rate for the service delivered.
Old May 2, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: United Silver
Hi -

Posting here as a newbie. We are currently booked in economy for a flight in July to FLL. I would like to do a paid upgrade to Business First, but every time I check, the only option for me is to spend 20,000 miles per person to upgrade. What is odd is that the FC section is wide open for down and back. Is it because of the discount fare I purchased that it is not allowing me to cash upgrade? I am booked in G going down and L coming back and have Silver Status. What is also odd is that when I hover over the FC seats, it tells me how much to upgrade, but when I go to the upgrade routine on the site, it says no cash upgrade available. Last data point - if I check the change flight routine, and seach for FC seating, this same flight shows up, but it wants a 200 rebooking fee plus the cost of the FC seat (current $29). (BTW - the cost of my economy ticket that I purchased before the Dao video has dropped from $274.00 RT to $172.00 if purchased today. Any suggestions on what I should do. Wait till closer to the flight or perhaps call United to ask if I can do the cash upgrade?

Last edited by David10225; May 2, 2017 at 6:52 am Reason: Didn't finish
Old May 2, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Hello helpful folks... pretty sure I know the answer to this but just want to double check. As a United Gold (and thus *A Gold), if I book via United's website on a flight operated by Lufthansa, can I choose a Premium Economy seat like when I fly United? I doubt it, but fingers crossed.

Assuming not, is there any benefit to booking via United.com vs booking elsewhere (like Lufthansa) where the flight is slightly cheaper?
Old May 2, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by David10225
Hi -

Posting here as a newbie. We are currently booked in economy for a flight in July to FLL. I would like to do a paid upgrade to Business First, but every time I check, the only option for me is to spend 20,000 miles per person to upgrade. What is odd is that the FC section is wide open for down and back. Is it because of the discount fare I purchased that it is not allowing me to cash upgrade? I am booked in G going down and L coming back and have Silver Status. What is also odd is that when I hover over the FC seats, it tells me how much to upgrade, but when I go to the upgrade routine on the site, it says no cash upgrade available. Last data point - if I check the change flight routine, and seach for FC seating, this same flight shows up, but it wants a 200 rebooking fee plus the cost of the FC seat (current $29). ...
If the FC seat is available for just a fare change of $29, you will need to call. The change fee should be waived for a change of cabin (but only if you call). If agent still wants to charge the change fee, ask them to consult their supervisor about GG BUYUP

See wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-gg-buyup.html

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Hello helpful folks... pretty sure I know the answer to this but just want to double check. As a United Gold (and thus *A Gold), if I book via United's website on a flight operated by Lufthansa, can I choose a Premium Economy seat like when I fly United?
You can not book LH's Premium Economy on united.com (can be done on the phone). LH PE is not like UA's Economy Plus. LH PE is a separate cabin, a separate fare class and not offered for free to elites (even LH's elites).

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Assuming not, is there any benefit to booking via United.com vs booking elsewhere (like Lufthansa) where the flight is slightly cheaper?
Many prefer to book directly with operating carrier (believe easier handling in irrops and sometimes easier seat selection) but to earn PQDs on an LH flight, it must be booked via UA. Also, RDM earning will via based on the ticket stock.
Old May 2, 2017, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
How many miles would be earned by a 1K in M+ for a LH-issued ticket on a LH flight in T class that's 500 miles long: 250 = base miles earned, but would the 1K bonus be 100% of the 250 base earn or the 500 miles flown? Therefore for a 1K, the total M+ award miles for LH T class would be 1x miles flown or 1.5x? ....
Total for 1K on LH non-UA ticket stock would be 250 base miles + 250 100% bonus on base miles == 500

if the LH flight were in C class (ie, 200% base earn), would the resultant award miles be 3x or 4x of the miles flown by a 1K?
200% base miles + 1k 100% bonus of base miles --- 300%
Old May 2, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
If "base miles" are the inventory-dependent award miles provided (eg, 250 for a T ticket and 1000 for a C ticket, when flying 500 miles), then wouldn't a 100% bonus of the base miles lead to a total of 500 for a T ticket and 2000 for a C ticket? The C ticket earns 1000 award miles as shown in the M+ LH earn table.

UA website says: "Premier bonus award miles for the following tickets and flights, with some exclusions, are based on a member's Premier status, as shown in the table below, and base award miles earned" I interpret this as meaning the award miles earned, which then garner a Prem bonus of 25~100% on top.
Old May 2, 2017, 4:50 pm

If "base miles" are the inventory-dependent award miles provided (eg, 250 for a T ticket and 1000 for a C ticket, when flying 500 miles), then wouldn't a 100% bonus of the base miles lead to a total of 500 for a T ticket and 2000 for a C ticket? The C ticket earns 1000 award miles as shown in the M+ LH earn table..
While you can try to read it as different, what was posted above is what will happen. The key word is "base."

Generally base mileage is the miles traveled or for some airline at least 500 miles.

Award miles are 50% of miles traveled (or 500 miles) for a T ticket. And this reduction also applies to the elite bonus.

The 1K bonus is based on the miles flown (base miles) except if less than 500 miles. If less than 500 miles, you get 500 or the lesser of the mileage multiplier.
Old May 2, 2017, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What just happened? (Rebooked onto full flight during IRROPs)

In short: I was rebooked onto a full flight during IRROPs, and I'm wondering how?

My inbound flight was delayed many hours due by some MX issue, so I missed my connecting flight. I had enough layover that I hoped we'd make up enough time, but I guess once you're over two hours the captain doesn't bother. My connection was to a regional (45min) flight.

So—once we landed (7a), I found I'd been rebooked on the 12p flight. However, I absolutely needed to arrive by 11a, and the app offered me a standby option on the 9a flight, as it was full. So I accepted standby and then approached an agent to request any alternate option to get me there on time (was eyeing an AA flight).

Somehow, though, the agent went ahead and confirmed me on the 9a flight. The flight ultimately went out with one seat empty. Did the agent force an oversale? Or did the agent rebook someone else (e.g., some other misconnect-ers) and then rebook me?
Old May 3, 2017, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
In short: I was rebooked onto a full flight during IRROPs, and I'm wondering how?
Not enough info to know for sure, could have been a dozen different things.

It could have, for instance, been that someone connecting to that flight was still in the air on their own delayed flight and going to miss it. Someone with a confirmed reservation could have changed/cancelled their plans, or gone out SDC on an earlier flight. Or failed to check in for the flight by the T-30 deadline or, if connecting, failed to get on their inbound flight. United may have been saving some seats for deadheading crew and then not needed them. Or, as you suggest, the agent could have forced an oversale and been willing to deal with a VDB situation later if need be (which didn't end up happening).

Was this a gate agent working the flight in question or a customer service agent elsewhere in the airport? They may have just cleared you from standby, vs. booking you confirmed (slightly different). Sometimes they know enough to clear standbys an hour before the flight, sometimes they have to wait till T-15 and the whole concourse paging process.

In short, who knows?
Old May 3, 2017, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
Not enough info to know for sure, could have been a dozen different things.

It could have, for instance, been that someone connecting to that flight was still in the air on their own delayed flight and going to miss it. Someone with a confirmed reservation could have changed/cancelled their plans, or gone out SDC on an earlier flight. Or failed to check in for the flight by the T-30 deadline or, if connecting, failed to get on their inbound flight. United may have been saving some seats for deadheading crew and then not needed them. Or, as you suggest, the agent could have forced an oversale and been willing to deal with a VDB situation later if need be (which didn't end up happening).

Was this a gate agent working the flight in question or a customer service agent elsewhere in the airport? They may have just cleared you from standby, vs. booking you confirmed (slightly different). Sometimes they know enough to clear standbys an hour before the flight, sometimes they have to wait till T-15 and the whole concourse paging process.

In short, who knows?
In short: that's why I'm asking!

The agent was a CS representative not at the gate, and it was just over two hours before the flight, so not fully under gate control yet. I checked the standby list before and after speaking with the agent, and the only change was that I disappeared from the list, i.e. I did not show up as a cleared standby, and no other passengers were confirmed/cleared, and the status still showed full in both cabins.

Thus I'm wondering whether this agent did something extraordinary, or if this is something I can ask for in the future.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: 1K
I have a UA (016) etix from an "issuing agent" 14541785 (issue place: ATL). Is there a way to find out who this issuing agent is (and their contact information)?
Old May 5, 2017, 3:35 pm

Is it worth my partner and I both having status on United, or should we try to split it across airlines?

I'm UA Gold; he's going to be doing a lot of traveling for work this year, and he's got the choice to fly United or Virgin/Alaska. Is there any benefit to both of us having United status, or is it better to split the status so we get benefits whether we fly UA or AS?
Old May 5, 2017, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Shiny Things
Is it worth my partner and I both having status on United, or should we try to split it across airlines?
If you always fly together, I would recommend splitting. The only benefits for two people having status would be if you travel internationally with other people (you could each guest in one person to the lounge) or if you are talking about Platinum or higher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.