Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
Originally Posted by Defendem
Question about Bistro on Board in First...

Yesterday I had the hamburger from Bistro on Board for the first time. It was good. How inconvenient for the FAs if I were to ask for it in First in lieu of the regular meal? If it causes inconvenience I'd rather not do it...but otherwise it would be a nice change of pace occasionally.

Thanks!
Not much of one....most don't mind doing it IME. I avoid it almost all the time because there are never enough loaded and if I'm getting a usually at-worst-decent meal in first I'd rather let an E passenger enjoy the burger.

But that's a personal call
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Lobster mac on IAH-SFO 2:30pm lunch flight ^^
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Lobster mac on IAH-SFO 2:30pm lunch flight ^^
you lucky ducky.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
DEN-SFO 1/11 3:45pm 757

Choice of pretzel burger or arugula salad. FA didn't mention side of chicken to anyone, not that I asked because I figured there was some protein that would accompany it.

Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
DEN-SFO 1/11 3:45pm 757

Choice of pretzel burger or arugula salad. FA didn't mention side of chicken to anyone, not that I asked because I figured there was some protein that would accompany it.

That actually looks appetizing. ^
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
On Jan 11, UA829, DEN-YVR, the FA offered "chicken mac and cheese" or "beef stew". I'd never heard of the first dish before, but since I'm intolerant to poultry, I passed. Unfortunately my seatmate did too, so I never got a look at this concoction. Wonder if it was the lobster mac, but just mis-stated by the FA?
The beef stew was pretty poor - featuring under-cooked potatoes that were raw at the center.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
It was good, I thought it was a good set up for the 2h flight--the crumb breading on the chicken wasn't too heavy/greasy/oily. Of course from what I saw of the burger it looked great as always.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
+1

The United First catering has improved dramatically the last few years. Look back at “Let’s Eat! 2013” and you see a lot of mysterious wraps with Sun Chips.

Nice to see this.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
+1

The United First catering has improved dramatically the last few years. Look back at “Let’s Eat! 2013” and you see a lot of mysterious wraps with Sun Chips.

Nice to see this.
Iceberg bowl and shrimp!! I hadn't done domestic F in a while but I was happy 3:45 was still Lunch.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA 418: EWR to SFO
January 13, 2017
Boeing 777-200 (sUA 3-class, J cabin), Dinner

This was actually my first time flying backwards, which was a little disconcerting on takeoff and landing. The 2-4-2 cabin is definitely cramped, but I can see how it was a big step forward over recliner J. Some nice food and stellar service helped make this a nice flight.

Name:  menu.jpg
Views: 7666
Size:  98.0 KB

As always, the good old menu removes any miscommunications, and also helps avoid problems with the occasional surly FA who offers "steak, chicken, or fish". It's a nice, inexpensive touch with elevates the p.s. experience.

Name:  20170113_200645.jpg
Views: 7258
Size:  170.7 KB

The appetizer continues to be by far my favorite part of the p.s. meal service. This month's duck with potato salad was admittedly a rather strange flavor set in my opinion, but the awesome part about small plates is that you don't get overwhelmed by a flavor monotony. One can comment "oh huh, duck and potato salad, that's weird" and move on. The duck was rich and quite tasty, and the pairing was interesting if not extraordinary. Really, I think UA missed a great idea here - take three of the appetizer plates, add a small serving of each main course, and bingo you have something like a ten course meal service for int'l F. Ah well, one can dream

This month's salad was... interesting. It was a very unique flavor profile with the seaweed providing a deep umami not usually found in a salad. It felt like it had a lot of potential, but it fell a little short. It was either missing a bold flavor accent (lemon olive oil is about the most uninspired dressing for this I can imagine), or the portion was simply about ten times too big. By about halfway through the salad, the edamame had me feeling like I was chewing through the entire Pacific Ocean before I could get on with dinner.

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised that UA food would even get me to think that critically about it. The salad has a lot of potential, but I think it's still missing a few things. At least the front of the cabin means bread basket => pretzel roll

Name:  20170113_203210.jpg
Views: 7218
Size:  150.3 KB

I was not terribly enthusiastic about any of the mains, but I opted for the steak to see how it would come out. The steak itself was actually fantastic. Unfortunately, I don't really care for its accompaniment. I'm somewhat biased by never having liked sweet potatoes, but both of the sides seemed to be vast flavor sinks which overwhelmed the steak and its seasonings. It's one of the only times I've ever opened my salt on a UA flight, and even that couldn't really salvage the beans and potatoes. Too much painfully blank starch, and not enough expression. Something more traditional like garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus would do much better.

Name:  20170113_210425.jpg
Views: 7146
Size:  113.8 KB

Hard to criticize the full sundae cart. I'm a purist, so it's vanilla with a splash of strawberry for me.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
On Jan 11, UA829, DEN-YVR, the FA offered "chicken mac and cheese" or "beef stew". I'd never heard of the first dish before, but since I'm intolerant to poultry, I passed. Unfortunately my seatmate did too, so I never got a look at this concoction. Wonder if it was the lobster mac, but just mis-stated by the FA?
The beef stew was pretty poor - featuring under-cooked potatoes that were raw at the center.
Lobster on UA North American service? They are serving salmon though.

They have been offering Chicken Mac & Cheese for a while. I didn't know there are people who are "intolerant to poultry". The bigotry in this country is just getting worse by the day
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
EWR-IAH
Jan 17

Lentil chili, with polenta and spinach. The bread was on the tray when served. I really enjoyed it. Other option was jambalaya.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
EWR-IAH
Jan 17

Lentil chili, with polenta and spinach. The bread was on the tray when served. I really enjoyed it. Other option was jambalaya.
Be careful about eating lentils/beans on long flights.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by JetAway
Be careful about eating lentils/beans on long flights.
I was in a center (2-1-2) seat.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by username
Lobster on UA North American service? They are serving salmon though.

They have been offering Chicken Mac & Cheese for a while. I didn't know there are people who are "intolerant to poultry". The bigotry in this country is just getting worse by the day
Actually, UA has been serving the Lobster Mac & Cheese since early 2015 when they upgraded the domestic F catering. I've had it a number of times and it's quite delicious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.