Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
DEN-ATL
Boeing 737-800 ex-Guam version
Lunch

PDB of choice! ^

After takeoff, hot towels followed by warmed mixed nuts. As I've been a regular AA flyer for the last few years, I noticed how much better UA's nuts were than AA's, and of course, their towel was way better and scented, too! ^

Drink of choice, followed by taking of the meals orders. Meal choices today were a roast beef sandwich or a shrimp salad. I chose the salad. When the FA brought it to me, she realized that she neglected to place the shrimp on it, telling me that the shrimp are typically loaded separately on this salad. It was delicious, and served over a bed of cabbage, scallops, and large slices of pineapple, with pineapple vinaigrette dressing on the side in a plastic container on offer.

A bowl of mandarin oranges, pineapples, and red grapes was served on the side. Pretzel rolls and butter were offered from the bread basket.

After lunch, chocolate chip cookies were offered. They were also WAY better than AA's.

Later in the flight, United Explorer Card mints were passed out.

Drink re-fills were good throughout the flight.

ATL-DEN
Dinner

PDB of choice! ^

After takeoff, delicious hot nuts and hot scented towels.

FA today was a Salma Hayek look-alike. Yeah...it was a good flight

Drink of choice and meal choice taken. Choices today were a mushroom risotto or a chicken, black beans, and rice dish. I chose the chicken. It was of high quality and the rice and black beans were good as well. There were also some haricots verts on the dish as well. On the side was a good salad with grapefruit in it, and pomegranate acai salad dressing. It was SO nice to get something other than the omnipresent balsamic vinaigrette on AA. Italian rolls and butter were offered from the bread basket. Chocolate chip cookies were offered after dinner.

Overall, a good day of UA flying! ^
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
DEN-ATL
Lunch

PDB of choice! ^

After takeoff, hot towels followed by warmed mixed nuts. As I've been a regular AA flyer for the last few years, I noticed how much better UA's nuts were than AA's, and of course, their towel was way better and scented, too! ^

Drink of choice, followed by taking of the meals orders. Meal choices today were a roast beef sandwich or a shrimp salad. I chose the salad. When the FA brought it to me, she realized that she neglected to place the shrimp on it, telling me that the shrimp are typically loaded separately on this salad. It was delicious, and served over a bed of cabbage, scallops, and large slices of pineapple, with pineapple vinaigrette dressing on the side in a plastic container on offer.

A bowl of mandarin oranges, pineapples, and red grapes was served on the side. Pretzel rolls and butter were offered from the bread basket.

After lunch, chocolate chip cookies were offered. They were also WAY better than AA's.

Later in the flight, United Explorer Card mints were passed out.

Drink re-fills were good throughout the flight.

ATL-DEN
Dinner

PDB of choice! ^

After takeoff, delicious hot nuts and hot scented towels.

FA today was a Salma Hayek look-alike. Yeah...it was a good flight

Drink of choice and meal choice taken. Choices today were a mushroom risotto or a chicken, black beans, and rice dish. I chose the chicken. It was of high quality and the rice and black beans were good as well. There were also some haricots verts on the dish as well. On the side was a good salad with grapefruit in it, and pomegranate acai salad dressing. It was SO nice to get something other than the omnipresent balsamic vinaigrette on AA. Italian rolls and butter were offered from the bread basket. Chocolate chip cookies were offered after dinner.

Overall, a good day of UA flying! ^
You seem to have a rather selective memory. Consider:

AA's warm nuts ramekins are actually larger than UA's tiny ones so overall you get a more generous serving and unlike UA, AA usually loads a bit more per pax so the best AA crews often offer warm nuts refills.

AA has horrible towels, but other than the scent, UA doesn't exactly have the best towels either.

UA offers quite tasty freshly baked cookies vs. AA's odd-tasting "warm cookies" though by a miracle of God AA still serves cookies on proper china, not the economy-class plates UA uses to serve cookies.

If you pay for F or get upgraded more than 24 hours before departure (or of course you can just do a dummy booking) AA let's you see the menu for your flight. AA also has significantly nicer glassware than the ancient ones UA uses--the same ones from the old Continental except they just changed the logo on the glasses.

Last edited by J.Edward; Apr 13, 2017 at 7:24 am Reason: off topic comment removal
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fly747first
UA offers quite tasty freshly baked cookies vs. AA's odd-tasting "warm cookies" though by a miracle of God AA still serves cookies on proper china, not the economy-class plates UA uses to serve cookies.

[Conforming edit by Moderator to reflect edit to quoted text].
Is having a cookie on a china plate over a small plastic plate that big of a deal? They used to come either in paper bags or wrapped in a paper napkin and I can't remember anyone making an issue out of it. It's not even that noticeable quite honestly.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Apr 13, 2017 at 12:23 pm Reason: off topic comment removal
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by gene2632
LAS to EWR on UA899 on 4/4. "Lunch" on a 2pm departure was choice of salmon over rice or brazed short ribs over rice....Wife is allergic to any thing that swims and I hate fish so we chose the short ribs..big mistake. Should have just picked up wraps at Port of Subs. The meat was overcooked, stringy, fatty and pretty tasteless. The rice and chickpeas were bland and the salad was wilted.....oh well, at least we had some leg room and the Direct TV works....so much for meals being upgraded to edible.
Uhm, short ribs are supposed to be stringy because they are (over) cooked for a long, long time to make them very tender. And who doesn't like the flavor of a little fat? Just sayin'.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
Has anyone found it difficult to get first meal choices when travelling with other people? It seems like first choices are hard to come by unless GS/1K. Is this common with United / other airlines?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Is having a cookie on a china plate over a small plastic plate that big of a deal? They used to come either in paper bags or wrapped in a paper napkin and I can't remember anyone making an issue out of it. It's not even that noticeable quite honestly.
Not to me, but I like providing accurate information. UA is probably the only airline serving cookies on plastic (or paper as in the past) in a premium cabin.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:01 am

I prefer the plastic plate honestly. The bakery tissue thing that said “Baked Just For You”, or something like that, was drenched in grease due to the cookie.

However, a full on plate would, at least to me, take too long, and it would be a lot for nothing, as the cookies take less than a minute to eat. The plastic plate establishes Domestic First while maintaining the “express” feeling of the cookies.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by mtmonte
Has anyone found it difficult to get first meal choices when travelling with other people? It seems like first choices are hard to come by unless GS/1K. Is this common with United / other airlines?
I currently have no status, but I've also never not had my first choice. They're supposed to prioritize GS and 1K orders.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fly747first
Not to me, but I like providing accurate information. UA is probably the only airline serving cookies on plastic (or paper as in the past) in a premium cabin.
Well I guess it depends on what you prefer.....actually "baked" cookies on a plastic plate...or "warmed" cookies.

As for airlines serving cookies, aren't we really talking about two airlines? I don't recall having a cookie on DL and other than YX I really don't remember any other airline that had them.

That being said...AA does have better nuts. I honestly would prefer to have packaged nuts rather than the chewy/overcooked crap UA serves.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I guess it depends on what you prefer.....actually "baked" cookies on a plastic plate...or "warmed" cookies.

As for airlines serving cookies, aren't we really talking about two airlines? I don't recall having a cookie on DL and other than YX I really don't remember any other airline that had them.

That being said...AA does have better nuts. I honestly would prefer to have packaged nuts rather than the chewy/overcooked crap UA serves.
DL has packaged cookies on most domestic F flights (pretty weak dessert I agree), though the presentation of the meal is way nicer than UA asides from the packaged cookie. I think Dancing Reindeer is the brand that DL uses for its large packaged cookies.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold
Originally Posted by elitefreak
Uhm, short ribs are supposed to be stringy because they are (over) cooked for a long, long time to make them very tender. And who doesn't like the flavor of a little fat? Just sayin'.
To be fair, short ribs push the boundary of "there's no such thing as too much fat". Many recipes advise cooking them and then refrigerating in order to congeal the fat so it can be skimmed off. I cooked a large batch recently and each refrigerated serving had a healthy layer of congealed fat. Short ribs are fantastic when cooked properly, but they do require some skill to do well.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I just noticed the two Lima flights (from EWR and IAH) are both marketed as United Business not Polaris Business, so I am posting the photos in this thread not the Polaris thread.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Not sure why LIM does not get Polaris from EWR, while all Eueopean flights get them.

I'll be flying EWR-LIM next week. What is the "refreshment" that was given at the end of the flight? (the cheese plate)? It departs 2pm and is an 8hr fight. I'm wondering if I need to worry about finding a late dinner in Lima
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Thumbs up Spanish Paella is on point!

By far my favorite domestic meal. Flavorful, filling...and the combo with the Sesame Ginger dressing salad and pretzel bun is perfect, of course accompanied by a glass of red.
Attached Images   
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by elitefreak
This makes me think you've never had properly cooked braised short ribs. No, short ribs should not be stringy, which I consider to be similar in texture as chewing on individual dry cotton strings. They should be tender and rich, with a creamier texture (when you have the right amount of fat).

The short ribs I had on my Polaris Business SFO-TPE flight about 2 weeks ago were not cooked properly (hence the dried out stringiness).

I found the fish on my return flight was equally bad. The only items I enjoyed from my 2 Polaris flights were the grilled cheese and tomato soup "snack" and the Asian braised pork over noodles "snack" that is available upon request after meal service and before the "pre-arrival" meal.

I did not get my first choice either flight for breakfasts, so I ended up with the atrocious cheesy egg dishes (one an omelet and one a frittata) that were overcooked in texture and tasteless.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by eng3
I'll be flying EWR-LIM next week. What is the "refreshment" that was given at the end of the flight? (the cheese plate)? It departs 2pm and is an 8hr fight. I'm wondering if I need to worry about finding a late dinner in Lima
Cheese Plate is the only thing you get before arrival, unforunately.

Chances are you will be hungry.

There is a decent food court on the second floor of the airport terminal for you to get something to eat or you can order room services when you arrive at the hotel. Traffic is bad leaving the airport, so restaurants are likely closed by the time you reach the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.