Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I want to eat on Red Eyes, as I'm often getting off work late at night, or some other engagement. I think a meal should be offered - and - like any other flight, if you don't want to eat it, you don't have to!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
why were you "astonished" that a red-eye on a non transcon did not have meal/snack service? Most people want to sleep on red-eyes not eat.
Because when you pay a few hundred extra dollars for a First Class ticket you should have the option of some decent food on a 4+ hour flight. Redeye international flights often offer dinner and breakfast. Why should a domestic flight offer only bagged chips and the like?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Until some sort of direct competition starts offering what you're describing on the domestic red-eye routes, none of the carriers would want to change the status quo. Airlines will simply keep doing what they're doing because no one wants to change anything. For example, shorter routes such a BOS-ORD (which is an exception and doesn't fit into the distance chart for a meal) still serve a full meal in F because neither UA nor AA wants to be the first to drop it and lose the business travelers.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nycityny
Because when you pay a few hundred extra dollars for a First Class ticket you should have the option of some decent food on a 4+ hour flight. Redeye international flights often offer dinner and breakfast. Why should a domestic flight offer only bagged chips and the like?
So you assumed because you paid for FC, you should get a meal. As you found that doesn't always happen. you can't compare a 7 hour international flight to a 4 hour domestic red eye flight. As I wrote before most people want to sleep on both of the flights you talked about, my last international flight was a red eye, I as well as 90% of the passengers passed on the meal after take off, since the flight left at 11pm. So hopefully in the future you either bring your own food and take a earlier flight for that wonderful food you want do bad.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:21 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
A question on meal/snack/refreshment service or lack thereof in First on the following flights

UA 1555 SFO-FLL redeye 22:13-06:43 (next day)

Itinerary shows: UA 1555 "snack"
E-receipt shows UA 1555 "snack"

Is it truly a snack or a snack basket which the f/a's pass around?
---
UA 1773 PBI-EWR 14:30-17:27
Itinerary shows UA 1555 "refreshments"
E-receipt shows nothing (it's blank)

My take is that "refreshments" means non-alcoholic drinks of some sort vs something to nibble 'n chew on
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by goalie
A question on meal/snack/refreshment service or lack thereof in First on the following flights

UA 1555 SFO-FLL redeye 22:13-06:43 (next day)

Itinerary shows: UA 1555 "snack"
E-receipt shows UA 1555 "snack"

Is it truly a snack or a snack basket which the f/a's pass around?
---
UA 1773 PBI-EWR 14:30-17:27
Itinerary shows UA 1555 "refreshments"
E-receipt shows nothing (it's blank)

My take is that "refreshments" means non-alcoholic drinks of some sort vs something to nibble 'n chew on
The PBI-EWR flight will have snack basket and drinks (refreshments). The SFO-FLL was always just snack basket but recently some full transcon redeyes have been getting the snack (cheeseburger). Hopefully that's what you find.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:39 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by UAinAUS
The PBI-EWR flight will have snack basket and drinks (refreshments). The SFO-FLL was always just snack basket but recently some full transcon redeyes have been getting the snack (cheeseburger). Hopefully that's what you find.
Thank you ^. Here's hoping for "the hockey puck" and I'll report back
Old May 1, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by goalie
Thank you ^. Here's hoping for "the hockey puck" and I'll report back
Glove save, and a beauty!
Old May 1, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: Aer Lingus AerClub Concierge, BA Silver
Hi all,

I'm flying ORD to MCO in F on a flight labelled as having a 'lunch' service. Is there any way to know in advance what the options will be?
Old May 1, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mrdisco
Hi all,

I'm flying ORD to MCO in F on a flight labelled as having a 'lunch' service. Is there any way to know in advance what the options will be?
Not directly, but it should be the same as the lunch/dinner catering on any eastern division midcon heading east in the same month. This thread has enough reports you may be able to find out.
Old May 2, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
UA 344
DEN-IAD
1730 departure
B737-900ER

Choice of chicken tandoori or seafood stew

Very young crew, assume all reserves since it was the end of the month, but the friendliest bunch I've seen in a while. All were in a great mood and seemed to enjoy their jobs. We dodged thunderstorms the whole way but they did a great job serving and keeping glasses filled.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
UA1761
San Francisco-Los Cabos
8:25am departure

Omelette or Oatmeal.

The omelette was fairly tasty and was properly cooked, however the FAs had to rush through the service as they only started serving the meals as we were crossing the Mexican border.

UA1687
Los Cabos-San Francisco
2:10pm departure

Chicken or Fish.

The FAs on this route didn't have any specific information about the meals as "Aerococina (the catering firm in SJD) brings over whatever they made that day ." (direct quote from the FA)

I had the chicken, which was quite good.

Old May 2, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold
No photos, but from my 5/1/2017 flights:

UA484 IAD -> IAH, Lunch service
Options were a roast beef sandwich or a chicken salad (sorry for the lack of detail). I took the roast beef option and I'm glad I did. It was very good. Hot pretzel roll served along with grapes and a small salad with an asian-style dressing. Highly recommend the roast beef sandwich.

UA1225 IAH -> LAS, Dinner service
This was odd. The flight crew offered some lentil thing (sorry, didn't get it, didn't want it) and what was described as "a new sausage dish". They seemed surprised, as it was some last-minute invention they'd never seen before. It was fairly good - basically sliced sausage in a red tomato-y sauce that had a Spanish sort of flavor. I wasn't a fan of the jalapeno ranch dressing. I normally like spicy, but this one just didn't work for me. A soft breadstick was served along with it which was good, not great.

Warm cookies served with both. Nice.

Service was very good on UA484. Got 2 PDBs (bloody marys) and prompt fill-up on wine. An odd note: the gentleman next to me mirrored my ordering. For dinner he said "sparkling water" and when I asked for red wine, he switched his order to red wine. We had the same dinner (the roast beef) and were watching the same movie (Arrival), which he started watching just after I started it. We got wine refills at almost exactly the same pace. When I switched to coffee, he did too. Once the movie was done I put the flight status info on screen. He did the same a few minutes later. No big deal, obviously - it just amused me in a "Single White Female" sort of way where I kept wondering whether he was intentionally copying me.
Old May 2, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
BOS-DEN
Boeing 737-900 BSI
Dinner

Re-booked onto this flight 45 minutes before scheduled departure by American due to a delay that would've caused me to miss my connection. Once re-booked, I stole a 1K's upgrade, and purchased one at the kiosk.

Anyway, this flight was delayed, too, but boarding eventually started. Catering pulled up as we were boarding, so no PDB, though one was given eventually to the rows in front of me, just didn't get to the last 2 rows before door close. Understandable.

Service was slow to start, as the the pilots had FA's remain seated for awhile due to TSTORM navigation and turbulence. Once it finally started, we received hot scented towels, followed by hot nuts and drink of choice. Dinner choices today were a chicken katsu or spinach ravioli. I asked for, and received the chicken. It was excellent, cooked perfectly, and was WAY better than AA's chicken dishes. It was served with a nice sauce, and steamed white rice. The salad was okay with an interesting concoction of greens and sesame ginger dressing. Pretzel roll (yum!) and butter packet were served on the tray as well.

Dessert was a strawberry Haagen-Dasz ice-cream served in the container as sundae-gate continues. Only one other re-fill as elderly crew did the bare minimum on this flight.
Old May 2, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
UA1095 EWR-LIM
4/19 - Lunch

Appetizer - Salmon

Beef Short Rib (Chicken and Pasta were the other choices)

Raspberry Brulee Cheesecake

Although this is an Intl flight longer than some TATL, it pretty much felt like a domestic F flight. Service was about that level too. FA's disappeared after the meal service, had to flag one down just to get a drink refill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.