Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA 3494: MSP to EWR
January 8, 2017
Embraer ERJ-175, Dinner

For better and worse, this flight felt more like a carnival ride than a typical UA experience. We had only 23 pax on board, and so F consisted of the only three Premiers on the plane plus three lucky nonrevs and a record (that I've seen domestically) six empty seats. Announcements were done Southwest-style ("Smoking is not permitted onboard the aircraft. If you really want to smoke you're in luck however; we have four smoking sections: two in the rear of the aircraft through the doors to the left and right, and two in the front...").

Name:  170108_meal.png
Views: 9078
Size:  748.5 KB

Unfortunately this was not a high point for dining. (Although with recent stories I should be glad dinner was catered at all!) The salad was decent, at least. Spring mix along with fresh strawberries (delicious) and mandarin oranges with feta cheese. The balsamic vinaigrette was such a clash with the strawberry that I remain convinced it's a mis-cater.

The choices were the chicken wrap (shown) or a roast beef salad with glass noodles. I was not particularly enthusiastic about either choice, but I took the wrap. It was rather small, and the chipotle (or maybe Buffalo?) sauce along with the peppers in the wrap made it too spicy for my taste - it ended up feeling mostly like I ate wrapped peppers with a bit of chicken. The grapes on the wrap plate were a far cry from fresh, too. Sadly they seem to be out of Sam Adams Oktoberfest across the board, so the beer selections remain somewhat paltry (pictured: Goose Four Star Pils).

Having it again made me realize that the UX cookie is not, in fact, the same as mainline. And wow, it is good! I wish they would serve them on mainline flights... very chewy and sweet in addition to the chocolate.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by findark
January 8, 2017
Embraer ERJ-175, Dinner

For better and worse, this flight felt more like a carnival ride than a typical UA experience. We had only 23 pax on board, and so F consisted of the only three Premiers on the plane plus three lucky nonrevs and a record (that I've seen domestically) six empty seats. Announcements were done Southwest-style ("Smoking is not permitted onboard the aircraft. If you really want to smoke you're in luck however; we have four smoking sections: two in the rear of the aircraft through the doors to the left and right, and two in the front...").

Attachment 24685

Unfortunately this was not a high point for dining. (Although with recent stories I should be glad dinner was catered at all!) The salad was decent, at least. Spring mix along with fresh strawberries (delicious) and mandarin oranges with feta cheese. The balsamic vinaigrette was such a clash with the strawberry that I remain convinced it's a mis-cater.

The choices were the chicken wrap (shown) or a roast beef salad with glass noodles. I was not particularly enthusiastic about either choice, but I took the wrap. It was rather small, and the chipotle (or maybe Buffalo?) sauce along with the peppers in the wrap made it too spicy for my taste - it ended up feeling mostly like I ate wrapped peppers with a bit of chicken. The grapes on the wrap plate were a far cry from fresh, too. Sadly they seem to be out of Sam Adams Oktoberfest across the board, so the beer selections remain somewhat paltry (pictured: Goose Four Star Pils).

Having it again made me realize that the UX cookie is not, in fact, the same as mainline. And wow, it is good! I wish they would serve them on mainline flights... very chewy and sweet in addition to the chocolate.
Have you had the Oktoberfest beer on flights lately? I am betting it was a seasonal thing as it is not produced year-round.

It was not on many flights recently, to the point where I don't even ask now.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Have you had the Oktoberfest beer on flights lately? I am betting it was a seasonal thing as it is not produced year-round.

More recently (last few months, IME ending 1/1) they were carrying the Sam Adams Winter Lager. That too seems to be gone now.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

I haven't asked since before Christmas. I got it sometimes in November, and I gave up by December. It's definitely seasonal, but I will miss it.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Sunday, January 8
IAD-DFW at 1230
E175 op by Mesa

Lunch

Choice of salad with beef and glass noodles or chicken wrap. Salad was served with bowl of fruit and amazing cookie.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Monday, January 9
DFW-IAD at 1700
A320

Dinner

Choice of jambalaya with chicken and sausage or lentils with polenta and spinach. Jambalaya came with a salad and roll. Baked on board cookies were served before arrival.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I haven't asked since before Christmas. I got it sometimes in November, and I gave up by December. It's definitely seasonal, but I will miss it.
OK that matches with what I have experienced as well.

I did score a couple of bottles at the ORD United Club awhile back. In fact, they were not charging for them...
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
FWIW, cookies are now pre-baked and warmed onboard. They experimented with cookie dough for a while, but not all FA know how to bake cookies, plus at times they come out in inconsistent shapes.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
January 8, 2017
Embraer ERJ-175, Dinner

Attachment 24685

Interesting I have my first flight in some time in F on the ERJ175 from BDL-ORD. Was your wrap a cold one? Thinking reheating space on the ERJ175 isn't as big as mainline planes?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brandinho1
Interesting I have my first flight in some time in F on the ERJ175 from BDL-ORD. Was your wrap a cold one? Thinking reheating space on the ERJ175 isn't as big as mainline planes?
Correct. The wrap will be cold.

UAX planes do not have ovens in the galley.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 1:37 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Correct. The wrap will be cold.

UAX planes do not have ovens in the galley.
That's disappointing, so I guess no French toast souffle on Sundays flight to IAH.
what choices can I expect on a breakfast LGA-IAH on a E175?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by PTahCha
FWIW, cookies are now pre-baked and warmed onboard. They experimented with cookie dough for a while, but not all FA know how to bake cookies, plus at times they come out in inconsistent shapes.
Does the aroma still fill the cabin when they are warmed? The aroma of freshly baked cookies served as a natural alarm clock for me on the p.s. flights!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by S.R
That's disappointing, so I guess no French toast souffle on Sundays flight to IAH.
Typically......

Cereal with Milk

or

Ham and Cheese Sandwich

both served with fruit & a biscuit/croissant
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by S.R
From my experience on the E175's for breakfast it is cereal with fruit and yogurt.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Question about Bistro on Board in First...

Yesterday I had the hamburger from Bistro on Board for the first time. It was good. How inconvenient for the FAs if I were to ask for it in First in lieu of the regular meal? If it causes inconvenience I'd rather not do it...but otherwise it would be a nice change of pace occasionally.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.