Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Will keep in mind....not a huge fan of no window but agree being able to all sit together would be nice.
I love window seats. Not only to see out, but a wall to lean against. Half of that is moot on your flight, as you will spend 13 hours in darkness.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: UA GS
Mrs. 1090 and I miss the 2-4-2 seats from the 777-200 and the 2-2-2 seats from the 787s because it provided more opportunities to sit next to each other and share meals and quiet conversation.

Anyway, where is the best place to sit for two people on the 300ER? Is row 18 really that bad?

Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by 1090MHz
Mrs. 1090 and I miss the 2-4-2 seats from the 777-200 and the 2-2-2 seats from the 787s because it provided more opportunities to sit next to each other and share meals and quiet conversation.

Anyway, where is the best place to sit for two people on the 300ER? Is row 18 really that bad?
Two consecutive of 9L, 11L, 15L, 17L depending on how much you want to be forward of the wing versus away from the lavs and galley. I wouldn't call row 18 "bad" but 18 D/G are not near each other in any conceivable sense. The easiest way for two pax to talk in those seats would be to convene in the mid galley.

If you desperate value physical closeness over all else, on that seatmap the best pairs would be 9L/10L or 11A/12A. The forward pax can twist over their shoulder and vaguely converse with the rear pax if they lean very far forward. But IMO it's not worth it - with the new Polaris seats just grab the best individual ones and see your wife again when you land. They are not designed for non-solo travelers (except the odd D/G seats, but no windows and not on the 767).
Old Dec 14, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Damond, Amex

I currently have 35G preferred E seat for NRT -> EWR (UA78) in ~ 2 weeks.
34D-G and 35D-G are preferred E seats while 34A-C, 34J-L, 35A-C, and 35J-L, are E+.

Does 35G have extra legroom like E+ seats?
In the map cartoon, it looks to me 34D-G and 35D-G have the same longer distance to be the front seats as in the E+ seats.
That's why I'm asking (and hoping).
If not, I'm thinking to upgrade to E+, so I would appreciate your comments.

Last edited by AirDream; Dec 14, 2019 at 10:13 am
Old Dec 14, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Plat | *G
I don’t think any preferred seats have more legroom, they are normal economy seats located closer
to the front. I don’t think the seat map is a correct indicator of available legroom.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by ROCUAflyer
I don’t think any preferred seats have more legroom, they are normal economy seats located closer
to the front. I don’t think the seat map is a correct indicator of available legroom.
Economy+ seats typically have 2-5" extra legroom. They are not the same as preferred seats, which are basically E- seats closest to the front of the plane.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 10:58 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ROCUAflyer
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Economy+ seats typically have 2-5" extra legroom. They are not the same as preferred seats, which are basically E- seats closest to the front of the plane.
Online seatmap is misleading because of keeping an even row/column format (much like a spreadsheet). It’s especially misleading in Polaris, because especially in the 2nd Polaris cabin, the rows are basically staggered by a half row, despite looking complete inline on the above maps.

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Dec 14, 2019 at 2:24 pm
Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by findark
. I wouldn't call row 18 "bad" but 18 D/G are not near each other in any conceivable sense. The easiest way for two pax to talk in those seats would be to convene in the mid galley.
Don't they have the drop-down divider that allows conversation? Or is that only on the 772?

The odd-numbered D/G seats have a bigger divider on the 772 - I thought that was the same on the 773.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by drewguy
Don't they have the drop-down divider that allows conversation? Or is that only on the 772?

The odd-numbered D/G seats have a bigger divider on the 772 - I thought that was the same on the 773.
You are correct; I am probably being somewhat hyperbolic. The even D/G seats are still quite a bit further apart than the seatmap would imply.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:32 pm

the only remaining window seats on my upcoming flight are 3A and 9L(bulkhead)

I know that the wiki says 9L is the best seat...

but if I don't avoid noise from the loo or the galley, am I not better off by picking 3A?

also, if 9L is considered the best seat, why is it still not taken on my flight?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky

but if I don't avoid noise from the loo or the galley, am I not better off by picking 3A?

also, if 9L is considered the best seat, why is it still not taken on my flight?

Thanks!
I would take 3A. It's a good seat and I hate being adjacent to lavs.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Thanks! Just moved from 9L to 3A.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold

Thanks!
Cause not everyone reads the wiki

Also who would have picked an even window seat when there was odd window seat available?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee

on my return flight, I'm also trying to upgrade with miles and co-pay. However, it still waitlist-only.

all except 2 seats in the forward section are taken.

the rear section of business section is completely open. nobody has picked a seat there yet with just 2 weeks to go until the flight.

do most people prefer not to sit in the rear section?

if my upgrade somehow clears and the rear section remains relatively open, is it a good idea to pick a seat back there?

thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
on my return flight, I'm also trying to upgrade with miles and co-pay. However, it still waitlist-only.

all except 2 seats in the forward section are taken.

the rear section of business section is completely open. nobody has picked a seat there yet with just 2 weeks to go until the flight.

do most people prefer not to sit in the rear section?

if my upgrade somehow clears and the rear section remains relatively open, is it a good idea to pick a seat back there?

thanks!
The rear section is noticeably noisier because of the engines IME.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.