Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
04/18 LAX-SIN & 04/30 NRT-SFO. These were the best flight crews that I have experienced in some years.
UA37 LAX-SIN 5/3, crew was fantastic. This was an all-time best UA flight. Crew could not have been more pleasant, personable, or professional. Every request was met with a smile and an "of course" attitude. Deanna was purser for this LAX based crew, and I hope to see them soon on another UA flight.
Old May 5, 2018, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice to hear, Kacee.

Overall I find LAX crews and ground staff to be top of UA hubs. They know they face stiff AA & DL competition and fight for UA and their jobs!
kirkwoodj and greenpau like this.
Old May 5, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Nice to hear, Kacee.

Overall I find LAX crews and ground staff to be top of UA hubs. They know they face stiff AA & DL competition and fight for UA and their jobs!
Absolutely. GS staff at whole other level compared to other hubs IME.
greenpau likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Could not agree more. Should be the model for the other hubs. Continue to have my worst GS experience at IAH ... they just don’t seem to fully embrace the program.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA37 LAX-SIN 5/3, crew was fantastic. This was an all-time best UA flight. Crew could not have been more pleasant, personable, or professional. Every request was met with a smile and an "of course" attitude. Deanna was purser for this LAX based crew, and I hope to see them soon on another UA flight.
Same for me - recent PVG-LAX was my best UA experience in years with a very senior LAX-based crew that I’ve seen before and couldn’t do enough. The FA working my aisle in J celebrated her 50 years of flying — she was an absolute gem and the love of the job was palpable.
Old May 6, 2018, 2:10 am

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Having been an AA flyer for the better part of 15 years, as I fly a lot less now. When I get paid J, I just fly what is convenient and decently priced. I've hit United a few times in the past year (farewell 747) and had my first trip on the 773 Friday, in seat 1L. All I can say is wow, that is one of the best J seats I've been in. I always thought the Cathay / AA Cirrus was the product to beat, but the Polaris suite was fantastic. Super seat comfort, plenty wide to sleep in (and I'm a big dude). Crew was professional, nothing over the top, not bad. Was a tad disappointed to not get my first choice of Japanese meal seating in 1L, but I guess they just don't cater a lot of them and the GS / 1K get the lion's share. The spicy Thai chicken bowl was good though. When I boarded the gel pillows and mattress pads were in the overhead above me so I just grabbed them, but the flight attendant came quickly to grab them to free up the overhead above me...seemed nice to do that. Absolutely no issues with light or noise (although I use ear plugs and eye shades when I sleep). I was just really impressed with the seat comfort for a J product.
tuolumne and SteveHK like this.
Old May 7, 2018, 3:43 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by gwade
Was a tad disappointed to not get my first choice of Japanese meal seating in 1L, but I guess they just don't cater a lot of them and the GS / 1K get the lion's share.
FYI, should you be inspired to try UA again on a flight to/from Japan, the Japanese meal (OBML) can be ordered in advance as a special meal.

I suspect that should you order the OBML in advance and then see the actual menu and decide you want something else, that if you ask the F/A, they'd be happy to have one more OBML to offer other passengers.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
HI ROUTES

Noticed that a couple of Hi routes are marked Polaris. DEN-KOA co75 international and HNL-SFO 772 (2 class). I assume these are just domestic F not real Polaris?
Old May 7, 2018, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Correct - the class of service is not marketed as Polaris, but the seats are labeled "Polaris" in that they are primarily used on Polaris routes (read: are lie-flat, but not the new Polaris seat). The service standard is identical to domestic F.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by 1984SW
FYI, should you be inspired to try UA again on a flight to/from Japan, the Japanese meal (OBML) can be ordered in advance as a special meal.
Oh – so if you are in J and order a special meal it'll be a "business class" meal? Is that general or just for this specific case (OBML and flight to/from Japan)?
Old May 7, 2018, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by polarbears
Oh – so if you are in J and order a special meal it'll be a "business class" meal? Is that general or just for this specific case (OBML and flight to/from Japan)?
Yes if you are in J and preselect the OBML (a UA-specific code for the Japanese or 'Obento' meal), you'll get the Japanese dining service. There aren't other routes with such particular regional meals, so it's hard to figure how to extend that logic.
wpcoe likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:48 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
It's been a while since I've flown UA to/from Japan, but there used to be a footnote on the menu saying that you could pre-order the Japanese meal (OBML) on a future flight.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
4/30 EWR-GRU Polaris 772 - amazing crew. Wine flight/tasting offered + full description of a Chardonnay not on the menu (which was tasty). Nice Chablis on offer too, and she mentioned the Riesling wasn't a typical one and she's getting good feedback on it from passengers (which led to the wine flight). Shrimp entree was decent; got my first choice. FA remembered my wine choice, frequent topups. The gentleman next to me went with the Express option and was well looked after. Plates were cleared swiftly during all courses. I was quite shocked at the great service, TBH - almost forgot I was jammed 8 across in biz . Forgot to ask about the mattress pad. 747 amenity kit tin.

5/6 GRU-EWR Polaris 772 - average. Bit slow, junior, had to request items. Felt like they just wanted us to go to sleep. That said, I got a mattress pad and that was super comfortable. Woke up 40 mins to landing. Black Saks amenity kit.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanp7
4/30 EWR-GRU Polaris 772 - amazing crew. Wine flight/tasting offered + full description of a Chardonnay not on the menu (which was tasty).
So, the wine flight did survive that far. I hope it stays!
Old May 8, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Fa luggage storage

Are you telling me that an FA has to store luggage in the first class overhead bins? I find this hard to believe. I've encountered some bins that were full before boarding even started ... I ask an FA to move the stuff so I can put my things above my seat. I treat everyone like a person, nobody respects TAs more than I. And I expect to be treated like someone who paid an enormous amount for a seat up front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.