Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
This makes sense except for the current cabin all planes except the 77W, Just can't see how anyone would get sleep if the FA's has to pass trays over a sleeping person..
Unless you are a very light sleeper, it should not be much difference to a person walk pass on the aisle or the other passagner working on a computer. For myself, unless they dropped the tray on me, it is not going to bother me. UA has been doing express dinning for years and no feedback that I can remember on FT of massive disruptions.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Unless you are a very light sleeper, it should not be much difference to a person walk pass on the aisle or the other passagner working on a computer. For myself, unless they dropped the tray on me, it is not going to bother me. UA has been doing express dinning for years and no feedback that I can remember on FT of massive disruptions.
Agree. When I choose to sleep on a late flight and avoid meal service altogether like 2 weeks ago on 932, I've managed to sleep just fine while service occurs around me.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Getting to sleep for me is the hassle, but once a sleep I'm fine, but remember everybody isn't like you or I.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Another lame "Polaris" experience

Some highlights from 901 SFO-LHR (8/19):

* IFE, Internet, etc. didn't work for the entire flight
* Only 2 choices of PDB: proseco or water
* No more wine flights
* Flight was delayed nearly two hours due to "weather in our network," though there was no ATC hold and the aircraft had arrived the previous night
* Seat was filthy with loads of croissant flakes from previous passenger
* Service, while not terrible, was uninspired and SLOW
* They lost 2 out of 3 pieces of my checked luggage

On the bright side of things, seats on the UD are still very good with lots of storage. It helps to know where the FAMs sit, since they never put their leg rests up, making the window seats a great choice.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I cite my menu from yesterday's Polaris flight (SFO-HKG):

Express dining

If you'd prefer more time to work or relax, please ask your
flight attendant for our express dining service. Choose to
receive all courses or only select items, and your meal will be
presented at your request.

Although I did not use this service on this particular flight, I have on others. Never an issue. I just tell them to be sure that they save the ice cream for me.
Thanks for this info. I intended to report my experience but UA 840 was cancelled and we ended up re-booked on VA (which, fwiw, doesn't offer on-demand dining).
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by porciuscato
* No more wine flights
Did you ask or it wasn't offered? As far as I am aware there has been no change but sometimes they aren't proactively offered.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Did you ask or it wasn't offered? As far as I am aware there has been no change but sometimes they aren't proactively offered.
I was able to get one on my recent Polaris flight, and others have reported trying them as well, so I'd say there's almost no chance UA has removed them across the board. I've found certain posters hate UA so much that they go out of their way to describe things in the worst possible light, even to the point that it's arguably misleading.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:58 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
I was able to get one on my recent Polaris flight, and others have reported trying them as well, so I'd say there's almost no chance UA has removed them across the board. I've found certain posters hate UA so much that they go out of their way to describe things in the worst possible light, even to the point that it's arguably misleading.
I had it yesterday on HKG-ORD in F. Offered and was presented on cart.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by porciuscato

* IFE, Internet, etc. didn't work for the entire flight
* Only 2 choices of PDB: proseco or water
* No more wine flights
* Flight was delayed nearly two hours due to "weather in our network," though there was no ATC hold and the aircraft had arrived the previous night
* Seat was filthy with loads of croissant flakes from previous passenger
* Service, while not terrible, was uninspired and SLOW
* They lost 2 out of 3 pieces of my checked luggage

On the bright side of things, seats on the UD are still very good with lots of storage. It helps to know where the FAMs sit, since they never put their leg rests up, making the window seats a great choice.
-was it the PDE and internet working or did the built in screens not work as well.
-did you ask for something else? If so were you told no? Often they ask "can I get you a drink, maybe some champagne or water?" But you can order something else
-Weather designation could be due to the inbound crew, if they arrived the afternoon before you flight they might not have had the mandatory rest period (was it delayed in advance)?
-Dirty seats are something in UAs control, I would write in
-you can always do express dine
-Your luggage was probably misplaced but not lost, how long did it take to get back?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
I had a new Polaris 767 out of ORD and have to say I will really miss the 3 cabin 767s, especially F.

Plus side. The new Polaris lounge in Chicago was absolutely fantastic and on par (food) to way better (bar/table service) than the with the BA lounge at ORD!!!! It's really worth showing up early to the flight.

I thought the onboard service was up to par with C on international carriers and apparently a bottle or two of the F French wine snuck there way on the plane as I saw that one on one cart and stuck with it after picking a swill red. It confused the secondary FA who didn't realize there were 3 red choices, This was way better than the syrah swill I thought I might like (it was undrinkable). The Sacks pillow and comforter were...comfortable.

the could be better to ouch
I had the middle/single 767 seat. I like the over shoulder storage shelf compared to UA C. good place for a bottle of water and glasses, but I would much prefer something like the F seat cabinet or a BA C seat drawer. Seems like there's space under the seat in front for a drawer or just build a cabinet so your stuff is secure.

I don't like the behind the seat headphone plug...but first world problem. The real problem is I;m about 5'10 and my shoe size is under 10 and I found the footwell/bed mode extremely uncomfortable. I woke up a few times trying to figure out how to get comfortable and ultimately went for back vs. normal side sleeping. I cannot imagine what you'd do with your feet if you wear a size 10 or larger shoe and are more than 6ft tall.

Seat aside, I'd give the experience a B and fortunately had F equipped 767 on the return. on that front, Polaris vs F is a pretty big step down in comfort, but the plus side is the F trained Pursers and FAs circulate the C only cabin and give the service level a boost from what has been standard UA C if that makes any sense. (the main FAs on my Polaris flight were definitely F-trained, the secondary ones not so much)

Also...unless I missed it, there was no chocolate bon bon course...yes another F-irst world problem LOL...but noticeable..especially on LH were the FAs insist you try several of the assortment or even UA with a pre-departure and pre-landing bon bon box service...great for the kiddos

Last edited by mike1968; Aug 23, 2017 at 9:38 pm
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by mike1968
I had a new Polaris 767 out of ORD and have to say I will really miss the 3 cabin 767s, especially F.

Plus side. The new Polaris lounge in Chicago was absolutely fantastic and on par (food) to way better (bar/table service) than the with the BA lounge at ORD!!!! It's really worth showing up early to the flight.

I thought the onboard service was up to par with C on international carriers and apparently a bottle or two of the F French wine snuck there way on the plane as I saw that one on one cart and stuck with it after picking a swill red. It confused the secondary FA who didn't realize there were 3 red choices, This was way better than the syrah swill I thought I might like (it was undrinkable). The Sacks pillow and comforter were...comfortable.

the could be better to ouch
I had the middle/single 767 seat. I like the over shoulder storage shelf compared to UA C. good place for a bottle of water and glasses, but I would much prefer something like the F seat cabinet or a BA C seat drawer. Seems like there's space under the seat in front for a drawer or just build a cabinet so your stuff is secure.

I don't like the behind the seat headphone plug...but first world problem. The real problem is I;m about 5'10 and my shoe size is under 10 and I found the footwell/bed mode extremely uncomfortable. I woke up a few times trying to figure out how to get comfortable and ultimately went for back vs. normal side sleeping. I cannot imagine what you'd do with your feet if you wear a size 10 or larger shoe and are more than 6ft tall.

Seat aside, I'd give the experience a B and fortunately had F equipped 767 on the return. on that front, Polaris vs F is a pretty big step down in comfort, but the plus side is the F trained Pursers and FAs circulate the C only cabin and give the service level a boost from what has been standard UA C if that makes any sense. (the main FAs on my Polaris flight were definitely F-trained, the secondary ones not so much)
You were not in a Polaris seat, this is a 2 cabin 763 that was converted to include pmCO seats after the merger (the first ones converted were the Hawaii 763s. The seat you were in is a 10+ year old design.

The first 763 retrofit is currently in HKG and most here think it will be back into service next month.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by N104UA
You were not in a Polaris seat, this is a 2 cabin 763 that was converted to include pmCO seats after the merger (the first ones converted were the Hawaii 763s. The seat you were in is a 10+ year old design.

The first 763 retrofit is currently in HKG and most here think it will be back into service next month.
interesting, I assumed it was Polaris as I was downgraded from F and it was all one cabin.

I thought it was weird that the side seats were 2s...ell my assement stands then if you get this 2 class plane.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mike1968
The real problem is I;m about 5'10 and my shoe size is under 10 and I found the footwell/bed mode extremely uncomfortable. I woke up a few times trying to figure out how to get comfortable and ultimately went for back vs. normal side sleeping.
This is the classic complaint about the sCO B/E Diamond seat: Tiny footwells. Definitely not Polaris.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by 747FC
SFO-LHR and return in GF. I know it is not a PJ route, but will there be slippers? My search function gives inconsistent information, so I'd appreciate any recent experiences from people who have been on non-PJ routes. Thank you.
Here are some data points:

SFO-LHR: Slippers were given. They were pretty flimsy blue slippers. They did the job, but were not in the class one would expect to be given at a Hilton (and confirmed at the LHR Hilton).

LHR-SFO: Slippers were given. They were white with blue piping. Much better quality, of the kind that might be found at a Conrad.

An additional note: On the SFO-LHR leg, I asked the FAs whether there were PJs on board. They retreived a set for my wife and I, and I discreetly packed them away so as not to cause a rush on PJs (we already had on some LH-issued garb). Will test them out on the next overnight flight, but am already impressed by how heavy the bag containing the PJs seems.

Last edited by 747FC; Aug 24, 2017 at 1:39 am Reason: Clarity
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I just got off SFO-FRA yesterday. It was delayed over 90 minutes because of catering issues. They didn't have meals for economy. Isn't this a daily flight? How could the meals not be ready?

No word of a delay until well after boarding.

I was in the UD and while I love the storage bins by the windows, I didn't like that I couldn't put my carryon roller near my seat. Instead they all had to be stowed by the stairs and the attendant said if you don't need anything from it, they can put my roller in there as I boarded.

In my seat, the light didn't work. People tried to sleep right away so cabin lighting was minimal. The attendant reset my IFE but it didn't work. However, well into the flight and after the cabin was pitch black, the light came on.

I did notice the narrowing footwell but I could hike myself more the other way and it wasn't a problem. I'm 5-9.

During the long delay on the ground, I used up the battery on my devices, tethering my iPad to my iPhone. So when we took off finally, I was annoyed to learn that my USB charger wouldn't fit flush with the outlet so it didn't work. Sometimes, I can use a Euro power adapter and that combo would work but my power adapter was in my carryon that I couldn't get to.

I tried the USB ports and only one of them worked. And it was too weak to charge my iPad at full power.

Oh well probably last time I'm on the 747 UD. I will be in F for the return LHR-SFO segment. It's nostalgia I guess.

I don't know, I seem to recall better experiences on AF 747 but those weren't even lie flats when I flew them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.