Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LAX T7 United Club (UC) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

LAX T7 United Club (UC) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by SvenB1414
I was there yesterday with MatthewLAX and it really is a beautiful new space. It seems like there was a fair amount of attention to detail in the design and construction (e.g., the aisles are fairly wide between furniture / walkways to account for all of our carryons!).

United staff seemed very excited by the lounge and UA brass continued to drive home the point that they felt the company was adrift previously but that these current initiatives (new clubs, Polaris, better operating results) both energize the company and bring satisfaction to the customer base.

Of course, these things don't always go hand-in-hand with our points / miles hobby, but when both Munoz and Kirby make it to an event, you can bet this team is committed to LA.
Did you get a sense there were enough regular seats? Looks like a bigger than usual mix of those long high density stool tables in places where you'd typically see the 4 seaters of leather chairs.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
DFW has the sit down dining now. I have a domestic economy flight booked out of DFW coming up soon and will see for myself. But in any case the buffet and drink selection is better than any other US domestic lounge.

I guess this brings up the question about Polaris and Star Alliance. Will it work like OW in that all the Star Gold members can access Polaris even when flying domestic economy?

Not a huge number, which is good. But if you go to the BA Board here you'll see a lot of us BA Gold members exploit the heck out of AA FL's.

Not true. Any cheap old economy ticket will do. That's the reciprocal rules of OW.
That DFW dining is a test - they're relaunching and restricting it in the Spring when they start letting biz class pax without OWE into the Flagship lounges.

"We'll open our Flagship® First Dining experience in phases by city, starting in spring 2017:

New York (JFK)
Miami (MIA)
Los Angeles (LAX)
Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining in 2017."

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-updates.jsp

No Star Gold access for Polaris - just Star Business / First. Not even GS in coach international, so it's basically the same rules as the current First Class lounges, but with Business replacing First as the qualifier.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
For *A and those with time I would wager *G TBIT still will beat this lounge.

10pm just covers the 10:40pm UA839SYD departure.. But there are a bunch of redeyes including the 11:25om (777 tonight) which will have passengers in need of a lounge..
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
DFW has the sit down dining now. I have a domestic economy flight booked out of DFW coming up soon and will see for myself.
AA's DFW dining is also a buffet. It's set up in an enclosed room with ~10 small tables x 2 seats each, and food offerings that are similar to those found in current Flagship Lounges elsewhere. Some stuff, like hummus and pita chips, are the same as the ones served in the Admirals Club outside. DFW, inexplicably, doesn't have a FL, which is why I believe AA came up with this stopgap measure.

My impression of Polaris's "sit-down" dining is that it will be a-la-carte, and ordered from a menu. However, I've never gotten a clear answer about whether the dishes will be prepared onsite (i.e., is there working a kitchen in the back?) or if they will be prepared by the inflight caterer, delivered to the lounge, and then heated/plated per each order.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
AA's DFW dining is also a buffet. It's set up in an enclosed room with ~10 small tables x 2 seats each, and food offerings that are similar to those found in current Flagship Lounges elsewhere. Some stuff, like hummus and pita chips, are the same as the ones served in the Admirals Club outside. DFW, inexplicably, doesn't have a FL, which is why I believe AA came up with this stopgap measure.
Yes it's crazy that there was never a FL at DFW. I generally use the Centurion Club there instead.

My impression of Polaris's "sit-down" dining is that it will be a-la-carte, and ordered from a menu. However, I've never gotten a clear answer about whether the dishes will be prepared onsite (i.e., is there working a kitchen in the back?) or if they will be prepared by inflight catering and heated/plated per each order.
It will be interesting to compare Polaris dining with BA's CCR dining in JFK or IAD. I'm sure it won't be as good as the CCR at LHR though. Nor AF's P dining of course.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
For *A and those with time I would wager *G TBIT still will beat this lounge.

10pm just covers the 10:40pm UA839SYD departure.. But there are a bunch of redeyes including the 11:25om (777 tonight) which will have passengers in need of a lounge..
Here's tonight's departures after 10:30pm. The last one is IAH. At times, LAX has two red-eyes to Houston. With Chicago, New York, Washington and Houston impacted by a 10pm close, 11pm makes more sense. An early close screws up late IRROPS handling because one is potentially tossed into the concourse customer care mosh pit.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
It will be interesting to compare Polaris dining with BA's CCR dining in JFK or IAD. I'm sure it won't be as good as the CCR at LHR though. Nor AF's P dining of course.
... Nor QF's F dining here in LAX TBIT. But I am going to keep a realistic expectation, so as to leave room for a potential pleasant surprise.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Sent note to UC requesting reconsideration of 10pm close

"I've been following the new UC construction at LAX and was pleased to read about the preview last night (also attended by Mr. Munoz).

Apparently the new hours will run only until 10 pm, unlike the current hours (after midnight).

There will be a lot of flyers to major destinations on flights after 10:30pm that will be impacted by an earlier UC closure (the attachment shows tonight's flights after 10:30pm). Hopefully, United will reconsider and extend the hours to at least 11pm. There's a p.s. flight, 2 flights to Chicago, one to IAD, and one to Houston (sometimes there's two), plus a lot of others.

A 10pm close makes no sense relative to the fliers that UA is trying to attract and who will be impacted by a 10pm close.

Sincerely,
IAH-OIL-TRASH"

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 29, 2016 at 12:27 pm
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I've been following the new UC construction at LAX and was pleased to read about the preview last night (also attended by M.. Munoz).

Apparently the new hours will run only until 10 pm, unlike the current hours (after midnight).

There will be a lot of flyers to major destinations on flights after 10:30pm that will be impacted by an earlier UC closure (the attachment shows tonight's flights after 10:30pm). Hopefully, United will reconsider and extend the hours to at least 11pm. There's a p.s. flight, 2 flights to Chicago, one to IAD, and one to Houston (sometimes there's two), plus a lot of others.

A 10pm close makes no sense relative to the fliers that UA is trying to attract and who will be impacted by a 10pm close.

Sincerely,
I will send it!

^
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLAT, DL PLAT, EK SILVER
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Did you get a sense there were enough regular seats? Looks like a bigger than usual mix of those long high density stool tables in places where you'd typically see the 4 seaters of leather chairs.
It's hard for me to gauge what the "usable capacity" of the lounge would be. Last night, I would estimate there were about 75-100 people there and it felt empty.

With respect to particular seating, the setup feels more like the BOS club than any other I've been in recently, which has both high-top and traditional lounge seating.

Sorry I can't do better than that!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Great LAX lounge!

This is the UA forum, who cares for DFW AA lounge.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
The fact that there are no showers is a competitive disadvantage compared to the Sky club and admirals club which has showers in their main club...even though the Polaris lounge will have showers, some members will not always have access to it...that sucks in addition to the early closing time
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SvenB1414
It's hard for me to gauge what the "usable capacity" of the lounge would be. Last night, I would estimate there were about 75-100 people there and it felt empty.

With respect to particular seating, the setup feels more like the BOS club than any other I've been in recently, which has both high-top and traditional lounge seating.

Sorry I can't do better than that!
I would concur. About 100 last night and everyone was clustered into the food/bar area. There is a lot of room in the lounge.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I just walked past the lounge and amazingly no one from United has rushed down to change the sign. It still says 4:30am - 10:00pm

Doors closed but the entrance looks sharp anyways.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Here's tonight's departures after 10:30pm. The last one is IAH. At times, LAX has two red-eyes to Houston. With Chicago, New York, Washington and Houston impacted by a 10pm close, 11pm makes more sense. An early close screws up late IRROPS handling because one is potentially tossed into the concourse customer care mosh pit.
There are also a couple post-midnight departures - IAH & ORD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.