Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If purchased on united.com you will have to accept a warning about choosing Basic Economy and there will be orange "Basic Economy" highlights everywhere during the booking process.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No free seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system. Flyers (including elite) have the option to purchase regular economy and preferred economy (white seats with black triangle on seat map) seats after ticket purchase. E+ seats are not available for purchase until check-in. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period including SDC (occasionally 1K's have successfully used Same Day Standby and received a confirmed seat without penalty)
  • Carry on limited to one personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers are not eligible for premium cabin upgrades either via CPU, mileage upgrade award or PlusPoints
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carry-on if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Normal PQPs / RDMs based on fare and elite multipliers
  • No PQFs
  • Flight(s) do count towards the 4 flight minimum for UA-operated
  • Full Lifetime mileage
  • Domestic Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'. International BE can be in any class.
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass
  • Canceling a basic economy ticket will receive a flight credit for the price of the ticket, minus a fee. For domestic flights, the fee is $49.50 for one-way tickets and $99 for roundtrip tickets. For international flights, the fee is $99.50 for one-way tickets and $199 for roundtrip tickets
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

To avoid domestic BE fares ITA Matrix ~bc=N . Ignoring them on international flights is much trickier because they do not have a consistent pattern in the fare basis; it appears to change by market / region. (That said, as UA is lifting BE from legacy GDS systems, it may result in them disappearing from ITA Matrix anyway).

Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag

NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.
-------
NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.

How is this different from buying up BE to regular economy?

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2022, 1:49 am

Programs: BA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, KLM Gold, AB Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond, Qantas Svr, Etihad Svr
MBS - A the post above and other sources show, the set in stone policies are not set in stone. It is clear that they sometimes allow seats changing for example.

Kmxu, is there an optimal way of going about asking the gate agents please, or is it simply a question of being polite and asking as you board please?
SamirD likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by mrtibbs1999
MBS - A the post above and other sources show, the set in stone policies are not set in stone. It is clear that they sometimes allow seats changing for example.

Kmxu, is there an optimal way of going about asking the gate agents please, or is it simply a question of being polite and asking as you board please?
When changing seats at the gate. View all available seats on the app, note the seat that you’d like to sit in, bring your boarding pass to the gate agent with a smile and say is it possible for me to change to seat xx. PS if you happen to have a chocolate bar that you can place behind your boarding pass while handing it over to the GA your odds of success greatly increase!
mrtibbs1999 and SamirD like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 6:52 pm

So, if I buy up to "regular economy" - does the ticket become refundable? (I.e. if the reservation is already in IRROPS state and would have been refundable as a regular economy ticket)?
SamirD likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tr3k
So, if I buy up to "regular economy" - does the ticket become refundable? (I.e. if the reservation is already in IRROPS state and would have been refundable as a regular economy ticket)?
For a ticket in IRROPS, you should be able to get a refund even on a BE ticket, assuming that the IRROPS is severe enough to warrant a refund in the first place.

Buying a BE ticket up to regular economy does not make it refundable, no.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by tr3k
No.

But you can cancel for a fee:

Customers who choose to cancel a basic economy ticket will receive a flight credit for the price of their ticket, minus a fee. For domestic flights, the fee is $49.50 for one-way tickets and $99 for roundtrip tickets, while for international flights, the fee is $99.50 for one-way tickets and $199 for roundtrip tickets.
David
SamirD likes this.
Old May 14, 2022, 5:05 am

Newly implemented cancelation fee for basic economy - $199 - as of April 15, 2022

We canceled a flight in January t2022 o a European country due to a State Department travel advisory. Untied said that we could use the flight credit with no fee. However, when we went to use the credit this week, we learned that United imposed a retroactive fee for cancelling the ticket. When we called the agent understood our concern because it showed that we had $504 in credit for the ticket but when making the purchase it dropped by $199 because they made a fee structure change April 15th to impose the $199 fee. There was absolutely no mention in any email or communication that this fee would be charged and it even showed today that I had $504 that could be used for any ticket in any fare class until end of year 2023. I have officially filed a complaint. Most importantly, it would be great if they had communicated in any way that this credit would be losing value as people are going to have this same thing happen for over 1.5 years.

Anybody else experience this? Any suggestions on additional actions I can take to get the $199 cancelation fee back?
SamirD likes this.
Old May 14, 2022, 10:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The no change fee waive for BE tickets expired in January 2022
Tickets: Applies to standard fare and Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2019 and January 31, 2022, and Basic Economy fare tickets issued between May 1, 2019, and January 31, 2022 for travel commencing January 31, 2022 or prior. Changes are not permitted on Basic Economy tickets if travel begins on or after February 1, 2022.

Changes/Cancellations: Customers with Basic Economy fare tickets issued between May 1, 2019, and January 31, 2022 for travel commencing January 31, 2022 or for standard fare tickets issued between May 1, 2019, and January 31, 2022, will be permitted to change without paying a change fee. Changes are not permitted on Basic Economy tickets if travel begins on or after February 1, 2022.
If the travel was to start prior to end of January, you should not have a change fee. With above reference, call again

Originally Posted by Bruegelpie
We canceled a flight in January t2022 o a European country due to a State Department travel advisory. ...
As long as UA operates the flight, the State Dept advisory does not change anything.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 14, 2022 at 10:46 am Reason: State Dept advisory
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:56 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

I read some reports of travelers with status being able to change seats for free within the UA app after check-in. Is this still the case? I am flying Europe -> Central America and have Star Alliance Gold.

I assume this is no longer possible and have booked booked Economy Classic.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 6:17 pm

I have a checked bag for a basic economy ticket. That means I can check-in online 24 hours before departure. Question is: can I select seat at the time of check in??
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kithytom
I have a checked bag for a basic economy ticket. That means I can check-in online 24 hours before departure. Question is: can I select seat at the time of check in??
no - you will be assigned a seat when you check in (some people report having been assigned a seat several hours before).

If you want a specific seat, you should pay for it - might as well do it asap if you are going to do it to get best choice. That’s part of the deal for a BE fare. Some have reported agents have been willing to accept seat requests at the airport, but that is not a published benefit of BE, and assumes there is something desirable available that close to departure, which is a poor assumption on many flights which tend to be full these days.
SamirD and kithytom like this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm. The previous discussion now brings up another question: if a flyer has purchased an E+ subscription, can they still use it if they purchase a BE ticket?

David
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
Hmm. The previous discussion now brings up another question: if a flyer has purchased an E+ subscription, can they still use it if they purchase a BE ticket?

David
No
Customers who are traveling on a Basic Economy ticket are not eligible to receive Economy Plus subscription benefits.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Well, thanks for digging up the answer.

David
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: United
Basic Economy and Travel Waivers

United has full travel waivers in affect for EWR this weekend (See below).

Yet united wants to charge a $100 fee because of basic economy before you can take advantage of the waiver. Is this normal? The notes below come up in my reservation but there is no mention of the $100 fee.

A travel waiver is in effect for this trip.

We're waiving change fees when you rebook your travel.

If you decide to make a change to your reservation, change fees and any difference in ticket price will be waived if the change you make follows these guidelines:
  • Your new travel date is between Jun 30, 2022 and Jul 5, 2022
  • Your origin and destination airports remain the same
  • Your new ticket is in the same cabin as the original ticket
  • Your new flight is operated by United or United Express
In order for this travel waiver to be applied:
  • Changes must be made by Jul 2, 2023. To change your flight before this date, select Change flight.
  • If you are not ready to change your flight by Jul 2, 2023, you can instead cancel your flight and receive a credit to rebook later. Select "Cancel options" to learn more.
Changes made outside of these guidelines will be subject to the rules of the fare purchased.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by jrquad
United has full travel waivers in affect for EWR this weekend (See below).

Yet united wants to charge a $100 fee because of basic economy before you can take advantage of the waiver. Is this normal? The notes below come up in my reservation but there is no mention of the $100 fee.

A travel waiver is in effect for this trip.

We're waiving change fees when you rebook your travel.

If you decide to make a change to your reservation, change fees and any difference in ticket price will be waived if the change you make follows these guidelines:
  • Your new travel date is between Jun 30, 2022 and Jul 5, 2022
  • Your origin and destination airports remain the same
  • Your new ticket is in the same cabin as the original ticket
  • Your new flight is operated by United or United Express
In order for this travel waiver to be applied:
  • Changes must be made by Jul 2, 2023. To change your flight before this date, select Change flight.
  • If you are not ready to change your flight by Jul 2, 2023, you can instead cancel your flight and receive a credit to rebook later. Select "Cancel options" to learn more.
Changes made outside of these guidelines will be subject to the rules of the fare purchased.
Did UA really say changes need to be made by July 2 2023?
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.