Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If purchased on united.com you will have to accept a warning about choosing Basic Economy and there will be orange "Basic Economy" highlights everywhere during the booking process.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No free seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system. Flyers (including elite) have the option to purchase regular economy and preferred economy (white seats with black triangle on seat map) seats after ticket purchase. E+ seats are not available for purchase until check-in. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period including SDC (occasionally 1K's have successfully used Same Day Standby and received a confirmed seat without penalty)
  • Carry on limited to one personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers are not eligible for premium cabin upgrades either via CPU, mileage upgrade award or PlusPoints
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carry-on if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Normal PQPs / RDMs based on fare and elite multipliers
  • No PQFs
  • Flight(s) do count towards the 4 flight minimum for UA-operated
  • Full Lifetime mileage
  • Domestic Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'. International BE can be in any class.
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass
  • Canceling a basic economy ticket will receive a flight credit for the price of the ticket, minus a fee. For domestic flights, the fee is $49.50 for one-way tickets and $99 for roundtrip tickets. For international flights, the fee is $99.50 for one-way tickets and $199 for roundtrip tickets
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

To avoid domestic BE fares ITA Matrix ~bc=N . Ignoring them on international flights is much trickier because they do not have a consistent pattern in the fare basis; it appears to change by market / region. (That said, as UA is lifting BE from legacy GDS systems, it may result in them disappearing from ITA Matrix anyway).

Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag

NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.
-------
NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.

How is this different from buying up BE to regular economy?

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:18 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
If I am a Premier Silver and book a CLT - IAD Basic Economy ticket on United for me and 3 other traveling companions can we all get the free checked bags and carry on bag allowance or will it only apply to me the silver member and not the rest of my party?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!

There are two types of Basic Economy -- Domestic and International to Europe. They are handled a bit differently.

Assuming you are asking about a domestic BE

No selectable E+ (or any advance seat selection) and no upgrades. Yes to the 2 checked bags and carryon bag and premier boarding.
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 3:37 am

Programs: Fmr. UA 1K, Hilton Honors Gold
I have an upcoming BE itinerary with TATL flights and domestic flights. I'm given to understand that I'm allowed a carry-on and a personal item on the TATL legs, would that also be the case for the domestic flights on the same itinerary?
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by N107UA
I have an upcoming BE itinerary with TATL flights and domestic flights. I'm given to understand that I'm allowed a carry-on and a personal item on the TATL legs, would that also be the case for the domestic flights on the same itinerary?
Yes. You're on an international basic economy fare, so the restrictions of international basic economy will apply (no checked bag included, no changes). You get the carry on and personal item on all flights regardless of domestic or international segments.
SPN Lifer, SamirD and N107UA like this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yikes - knew we would see this eventually, especially since DL, AA and to some extent, AC had already been doing this on transborder routes, but hadn’t yet. Looking up fares ex-YYZ and found dreaded BE fares. Seems to be limited routes though, at least for now. Noticed it first when searching YYZ-SJC, but no BE fares on YYZ-SFO. Looking into it more it does seem to be just on limited routes for now. In addition to SJC, Found BE on YYZ-ORD/EWR and YVR-DEN/ORD, but not on YYZ-IAD/DEN or YVR-SFO. Just did a sample of places.

interesting it’s not necessarily aligning with ACs recent expansion of basic, which, for example, started being offered on YYZ-SFO recently (a few weeks ago searches never showed basic fares but now do). My impression is AC typically offered transborder basic mostly to sun destinations but not elsewhere. So lots more basic in the TB market.
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Yikes - knew we would see this eventually, especially since DL, AA and to some extent, AC had already been doing this on transborder routes, but hadn’t yet.
So I guess it's now 'Backpack Economy'?
Old Oct 15, 2022, 11:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Saw some conflicting info from this thread. A post in April here mentioned that it was possible to "buy economy" from basic economy and then cancel to get a full refund of the fare.

Is this still the case? I have a BE one way ticket for $250 that costs $50 to buy to economy. If I then cancel that, will I get $300 back or still my original $250? I guess if it is only $250 refunded using that method, it's the same as just cancelling and eating the $49.59 one way charge.
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 1:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by capecod0321
Saw some conflicting info from this thread. A post in April here mentioned that it was possible to "buy economy" from basic economy and then cancel to get a full refund of the fare. ..
First it is not a refund, it is a future flight credit (FFC)

Originally Posted by capecod0321
I have a BE one way ticket for $250 that costs $50 to buy to economy. If I then cancel that, will I get $300 back or still my original $250? I guess if it is only $250 refunded using that method, it's the same as just cancelling and eating the $49.59 one way charge.
The fee is a fee and will not be a part of the FFC. In your example, the FFC will be for $250. Just as if you paid the change fee but you have a true economy ticket -- without BE restrictions.
SPN Lifer and SamirD like this.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
First it is not a refund, it is a future flight credit (FFC)

The fee is a fee and will not be a part of the FFC. In your example, the FFC will be for $250. Just as if you paid the change fee but you have a true economy ticket -- without BE restrictions.
Thanks, that clears it up. No loophole possible by buying to economy.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium
Thanks in advance for the information as I'm new to flying United.

Purchased some pretty reasonable priced (way better than my normal Delta fares I'm locked into here in the Southeast) to take the family from Nashville to NYC/DC between the holidays. These are non-stops so we purchased the basic economy fares. Just a couple questions; if it matters I have Silver status due to my AMEX or Marriott Status (I honestly can't recall); we are all on the same PNR.

I understand we can't pick seats without paying at this point; does that change for people with Silver status at say 24 hours or is that right up until flight; I ask as I'd like to get just 2 seat 'together' so my 8 year old daughter only talks my ear off and not too complete strangers. Not sure if they would split up minors into isolated seats or not....

Also, related to baggage, with my Silver status it is my understanding we (all people on PNR) can either bring on one roller-board each for free or is it check one bag for free even with BE fare?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 5:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RhinoDL
... These are non-stops so we purchased the basic economy fares. Just a couple questions; if it matters I have Silver status due to my AMEX or Marriott Status (I honestly can't recall); we are all on the same PNR.

I understand we can't pick seats without paying at this point; does that change for people with Silver status at say 24 hours ...
No

Originally Posted by RhinoDL
... with my Silver status it is my understanding we (all people on PNR) can either bring on one roller-board each for free or is it check one bag for free even with BE fare?
You will have a carry on bad and a personal item and will be BG2
and you can have 1x70lb bag per passenger
RhinoDL and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Do you still get the 1k free snack/drink if you book basic econ?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 1:57 pm

BE experiences

Any recent experiences with basic economy buy up?

family member on international segment with basic economy. I’d like to use PP’s to try and upgrade them. Understand maybe I can buy up and then would be able to apply PP’s.

Can I buy up somebody else from BE? Or does it only apply to GS?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Raven139AS
Any recent experiences with basic economy buy up?

family member on international segment with basic economy. I’d like to use PP’s to try and upgrade them. Understand maybe I can buy up and then would be able to apply PP’s.

Can I buy up somebody else from BE? Or does it only apply to GS?
Available to all since earlier this year. $199 per person to buy out an international round trip. Itinerary can only have UA-operated flights. Will probably need to call to have it processed (might want to wait a few days for better hold times).
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by flamingcheetos
Do you still get the 1k free snack/drink if you book basic econ?
Yes. Once onboard, Basic Economy is the same as Economy service. There is no difference to date. You are still eligible for free drink/snack as a 1K.

The Basic Economy differentiators are all outside-the-plane -- check-in, baggage, boarding group, etc.

-RM
SPN Lifer and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 5:54 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I wonder if anyone else can corroborate --

I see that recently(?) Basic Economy now allows you to standby for free -- which I gather will only work for a desired earlier flight than the one ticketed.

However, your standby priority is *after* all other normal groups clear the list, so the chances are worse.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...t-changes.html

Has anyone experienced / done this and reported success? Does it allow you to standby or a nonstop flight if your itinerary was a connection?

Thanks!
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by TA; Jan 16, 2023 at 6:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.