Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If purchased on united.com you will have to accept a warning about choosing Basic Economy and there will be orange "Basic Economy" highlights everywhere during the booking process.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No free seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system. Flyers (including elite) have the option to purchase regular economy and preferred economy (white seats with black triangle on seat map) seats after ticket purchase. E+ seats are not available for purchase until check-in. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period including SDC (occasionally 1K's have successfully used Same Day Standby and received a confirmed seat without penalty)
  • Carry on limited to one personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers are not eligible for premium cabin upgrades either via CPU, mileage upgrade award or PlusPoints
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carry-on if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Normal PQPs / RDMs based on fare and elite multipliers
  • No PQFs
  • Flight(s) do count towards the 4 flight minimum for UA-operated
  • Full Lifetime mileage
  • Domestic Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'. International BE can be in any class.
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass
  • Canceling a basic economy ticket will receive a flight credit for the price of the ticket, minus a fee. For domestic flights, the fee is $49.50 for one-way tickets and $99 for roundtrip tickets. For international flights, the fee is $99.50 for one-way tickets and $199 for roundtrip tickets
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

To avoid domestic BE fares ITA Matrix ~bc=N . Ignoring them on international flights is much trickier because they do not have a consistent pattern in the fare basis; it appears to change by market / region. (That said, as UA is lifting BE from legacy GDS systems, it may result in them disappearing from ITA Matrix anyway).

Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag

NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.
-------
NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.

How is this different from buying up BE to regular economy?

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Some time last night I was auto-assigned seats for my flights on Friday. The short-hop to EWR I was assigned an aisle in E- on a CRJ550. The long haul I was assigned 32D which is an aisle. My profile says I prefer window so that obviously makes no difference in BE seating. The flight is on a 757-200 and oddly it shows that there is no middle seat in that row. EF confirms this. There is now only a single E- seat available for selection in the last row, a window. If there really is no middle seat in that row I'd be happy with the aisle.

So far I can say: I was not assigned E+ (not expecting it), I was given a seat about midway through the cabin based on the open seat map last night (meaning 1Ks aren't assigned seats first as far as I can tell), UA dumped all E- seats to BE roughly 2.5 days before the flight.

I already cancelled that ticket and rebooked it this morning as the fare went down $20 We'll see what I'm re-assigned for a seat. I'm curious if it will happen during the day or if UA only does the assignment overnight, similar to how they're doing CPU processing now. Will continue to report back.

PS - yeah, I plan to ask for E+ at the gate or the lounge in EWR. Hopefully they will accommodate me.

-RM
If my detective work is correct, OP is going to take EWR-SNN tomorrow. UA is selling one business seat for this flight. There are five E+ seats unassigned, one window and the rest middle. In E-, there are eight unassigned seats, including previously assigned seat to OP (27D).
If OP is lucky, go to UC as early as possible. Hopefully, the remaining E+ seats are not assigned at that time.
Good luck!
Flying Machine and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Kmxu
If my detective work is correct, OP is going to take EWR-SNN tomorrow. UA is selling one business seat for this flight. There are five E+ seats unassigned, one window and the rest middle. In E-, there are eight unassigned seats, including previously assigned seat to OP (27D).
If OP is lucky, go to UC as early as possible. Hopefully, the remaining E+ seats are not assigned at that time.
Good luck!
What is E-?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by lsquare
What is E-?
A regular seat not economy plus😀
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
A regular seat not economy plus😀
I was wondering what economy negative means...
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Good luck!
You would fail miserably as a detective especially since I already said my flight is Friday, not Thursday Unless that's a rouse, of course, to make us believe you're a crappy detective. My post that you quoted literally said "Friday" in the first sentence.

-RM

Last edited by RobOnLI; Apr 13, 2022 at 10:33 am
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another update. UA has changed the plane to a different 757-200 config based on the exit rows going from 20/21 to 21/22 with row 21 not having A or F. It went from a 757-200 version 1 (with 169 seats) to 757-200 version 3 (with 176 seats). The flight is now J1 and Y0 with two blocked up front.

There are no E- seats for choosing and I was not auto-assigned a seat again. EF shows two seats still blocked (same two as previous aircraft - 25BC). I guess if there are no E- seats for assignment before check-in that I will get a "See agent" on my BP?

-RM
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lsquare
How?
after the autoassign at checkin when I move to an e+ plus seat that's the upcharge. Funny thing is that a non E+ seat is more.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Another update. UA has changed the plane to a different 757-200 config based on the exit rows going from 20/21 to 21/22 with row 21 not having A or F. It went from a 757-200 version 1 (with 169 seats) to 757-200 version 3 (with 176 seats). The flight is now J1 and Y0 with two blocked up front.

There are no E- seats for choosing and I was not auto-assigned a seat again. EF shows two seats still blocked (same two as previous aircraft - 25BC). I guess if there are no E- seats for assignment before check-in that I will get a "See agent" on my BP?

-RM
Just checking in to see if you’re gonna be making the trip and how you’re making out with your seating
Old Apr 14, 2022, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Just checking in to see if you’re gonna be making the trip and how you’re making out with your seating
I am taking the flights especially since my Marriott SNA cleared for an Executive Suite which makes this trip all the better.

All day I've been watching the seat map and while the flight remains J1 Y0, the seat map has slowly had quite a few seats open up including middle seats in E-. I was starting to get nervous as there was 1 E+ window, several E+ aisles and the exit row window available (the one with no seat in front of it). I almost bought the exit row for $60 but decided to wait.

At T-23:10 I checked the seat map again and the window in E+ just disappeared (was there 10 minutes prior). My thought process is that as soon as I start the check-in process I'll be auto-assigned seats and they stick until I talk to someone in the lounge or at the gate. Well, I started OLCI and after getting the big orange warning about being on a basic economy fare I saw my seat assignments: 8D (E+ window for the short trip to EWR) and 8F (that one E+ window) for the long haul across the Atlantic. Somehow UA decided to auto assign me the last E+ window. THANK YOU, UNITED!! On both planes there are quite a few E- seats open. The EWR-TATL flight has 5 E-, 11 "Preferred" E- and about 5 E+.

Interesting to note: during OLCI it tells me I can select an E+ seat for $35, similar to the poster above. However, I can only select an E+ seat on the 30 minute short hop to EWR. And it wants to charge me $35 even though I'm in an E+ seat already. For EWR-TATL, the seat map will only show me E- seats and offers no chance to buy an E+ seat even though there are 5 unassigned right now.

Bottom line...I couldn't be happier (unless I'm able to take a bump and get comp for it and then route via FRA/MUC - haha). Still no idea why I got assigned E+ given the empty seats in E-.

Note: after the auto-assignment happened Tuesday night, no other seats have been auto assigned from what I can tell. I also have not been assigned any seats for the return on Monday.

PS - this is my first ever 'teal' colored boarding pass from the app. I'm not sure if this is a new color for "Travel Ready" (never was in the past) or it's a combo of Basic Economy + TATL? I thought Basic Economy was orange colored for BPs.

Edit 2: I was finally offered a $35 fee to change my E+ seat on the EWR-TATL flight. I think the $35 offers are only valid once the 24 hour check-in opens for each flight. Since I'm already in the best available E+ seat for free I think I'll pass

-RM

Last edited by RobOnLI; Apr 15, 2022 at 9:44 am
Old Apr 14, 2022, 5:48 pm

Nice to hear that you ended up with the E+ Window on both flights! Enjoy your journey, I kept on saying it will all work out 😀

Last edited by Flying Machine; Apr 14, 2022 at 7:05 pm
Old Apr 16, 2022, 9:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
United Airlines Is Changing Its Cancellation Policy for Basic Economy — What to Know
United Airlines just made a major change to its basic economy fares, allowing customers to cancel them for the first time, the airline shared with Travel + Leisure.
Customers who choose to cancel a basic economy ticket will receive a flight credit for the price of their ticket, minus a fee. For domestic flights, the fee is $49.50 for one-way tickets and $99 for roundtrip tickets, while for international flights, the fee is $99.50 for one-way tickets and $199 for roundtrip tickets.
How is this different from buying up BE to regular economy?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 16, 2022 at 9:46 pm Reason: buyup
Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:32 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Maybe they're counting on people who don't realize that they can buy up to regular economy and then cancel for no fee?
Old Apr 17, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Can someone confirm what is in the fare code to indicate a [TPAC] BE fare?

I'm looking at SFO-SIN in Jun-Jul, and can't seem to find reasonable price directly on UA, but can find something much cheaper searching on Kayak, which sends me to UA to purchase. Searching directly brings much higher prices (and doesn't bring up the routing), and using multi-city to recreate brings up a much higher fare in M/V class, vs. the V Kayak is showing me a K class - booking into fare basis KHW00SO2. This is going SFO-SEA-NRT-SIN (all on NH except first domestic leg, return is SIN-NRT-LAX-SFO (all on UA except SIN-NRT). Kayak seems to indicate this is in 'basic economy, economy'.

I'm not getting the impression on the UA site that any of this is in 'basic' - I can select seats (NH TPAC flight is only showing middles, but maybe they charge for non-middle seats now?). Rules show the fare basis above, and specify 'change free of charge'.

Is there any way this could actually be a basic fare? I'm thinking Kayak is displaying the BE incorrectly, but want to make sure. Appreciate any insight.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Basic Economy is -B0 fares in this market; -O2 is a regular Economy fare.

Compare:

Code:
    V FARE BASIS     BK    FARE   TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG
  1   KHW00SB0       K‡R   723.00     ----      -/‡ ‡‡/ 6M PA01
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT                 AUTO PRICE-YES              
FROM-SFO TO-SIN    CXR-UA    TVL-17APR22  RULE-2INW IPRP/3
FARE BASIS-KHW00SB0          SPECIAL FARE  DIS-E   VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-ERU      RT-ECONOMY RT UNBUNDLED
USD   723.00  0502  E30JAN21 D-INFINITY   FC-KHW00SB0  FN-M4   
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 05APR22/1310  EXPIRES INFINITY

NOTE - THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS INFORMATIONAL AND NOT
   VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
   PACIFIC ROUNDTRIP BASIC ECONOMY FARES
   APPLICATION
    AREA

CHANGES

BEFORE DEPARTURE
       PER TICKET CHARGE USD 199.00 FOR CANCEL/REISSUE.
         NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
          ANY MODIFICATION TO THE ITINERARY IS CONSIDERED
          AS A CANCEL. ORIGINAL TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD
          THE PURCHASE OF A NEW TICKET USING CURRENT FARES.
          EMD AND MCO ARE NOT PERMITTED. APPLIES TO TRAVEL
          AGENCY ISSUED TICKETS

AFTER DEPARTURE
       CHANGES NOT PERMITTED.
versus

Code:
    V FARE BASIS     BK    FARE   TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG
  1   KHW00SO2       K‡R   805.00     ----      -/‡ ‡‡/ 6M PA01
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT                 AUTO PRICE-YES              
FROM-SFO TO-SIN    CXR-UA    TVL-17APR22  RULE-2RNW IPRP/3
FARE BASIS-KHW00SO2          SPECIAL FARE  DIS-E   VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-XPN      RT-INSTANT PURCHASE NONREFUNDABLE-TYPE FARES
USD   805.00  0502  E30JAN21 D-INFINITY   FC-KHW00SO2  FN-M4   
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 05APR22/1310  EXPIRES INFINITY

NOTE - THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS INFORMATIONAL AND NOT
   VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
   PACIFIC ROUND TRIP NONREFUNDABLE ECONOMY FARES
   APPLICATION

CHANGES

ANY TIME
       CHANGES PERMITTED FOR REISSUE.
         NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
          --
          --
              ////  CHANGE FREE OF CHARGE   ////
          --
          --
              CHANGE MADE TO OTHER THAN THE FIRST TICKETED
              FLIGHT COUPON
          --
          TICKETED RESERVATIONS NOT BEING USED ARE TO BE
          CANCELLED PRIOR TO THE ORIGINALLY SCHEDULED
          FLIGHT OR TICKET HAS NO VALUE FOR NO SHOW
          --
          RETURN RESERVATIONS MAY BE SCHEDULED ANYTIME
          WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY -
          TICKET VALIDITY - WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET -
          TRAVEL MUST BEGIN WITHIN ONE YEAR OF THE ORIGINAL
          TICKET ISSUANCE
          --
          TICKETS MUST BE REISSUED AT TIME WHEN
          VOLUNTARY CHANGE IS CONFIRMED
          --
          --
          IF CHANGES ARE MADE TO OTHER THAN THE FIRST
          TICKETED FLIGHT THE FARE LEVELS IN EFFECT AT
          TIME OF ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUE WILL APPLY
          PROVIDED THE NEW ITINERARY QUALIFIES FOR
          ALL THE PROVISIONS OF THE ORIGINALLY TICKETED
          BOOKING CODE FARE /
          IGNORING ADVANCE RESERVATION OR TICKETING
          REQUIREMENTS.
          --
           CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE
           OVERRIDDEN BY THOSE OF UA INTERNATIONAL FARES
          --
          CHANGE TO OTHER THAN 1ST TKTD FLIGHT COUPON -
          --
            REPRICE USING CURRENTLY TKTD FARE IF RESULTS IN
            VALID SOLUTION FOR - KEEP THE FARE -
               SAME BOOKING CODE/SAME FARE BASIS CODE
          --
          PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET-
          --
          1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FLIGHT COUPON/ NO CHANGE TO
             FARE BREAKS
          2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL
             MUST BE DOMESTIC
          3. UA FARES ARE USED
          4. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
             IGNORING ADV RES/TKG
          5. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO
             DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT
          --
          EVEN REISSUE - KEEP THE FARE / SAME BOOKING CODE
          --
          OR
          --
          IF CHANGE RESULTS IN DIFFERENCE BASED ON
          ORIGINALLY TICKETED BOOKING CODE FARE DUE TO DAY
          OF WEEK TRAVEL/ SEASONALITY / CHANGE TO FARE
          BREAK POINT
          RECALCULATE FROM POINT OF ORIGIN -
          --
            REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS
            ISSUED // HISTORICAL FARES //
          --
          WHEN CHANGE TO OTHER THAN 1ST TKTD FLIGHT COUPON
          PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET-
          --
          1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FLIGHT COUPON / CHANGE TO
             FARE BREAK POINT PERMITTED
             MUST BE DOMESTIC
          3. UA FARES ARE USED
          4. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
          5. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO
          --
          WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN FARE DIFFERENCE
          --
          EVEN REISSUE / NO REFUND WILL BE MADE
          --
          ADD COLLECT FARE DIFFERENCE - IF APPLICABLE
          --
          OR
          --
          WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN FARE DIFFERENCE DUE TO
          ORIGINAL BOOKING CODE NOT AVAILABLE -
          RECALCULATE FROM POINT OF ORIGIN TO AN EQUAL /
          HIGHER QUALIFYING FARE FROM ORIGINAL TICKET
          ISSUE DATE
          --
          RECALCULATION TO LOWER FARE IS NOT PERMITTED
          --
            REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS
            ISSUED // HISTORICAL FARES//
          --
          WHEN CHANGE TO OTHER THAN 1ST TKTD FLIGHT COUPON
          --
          1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FLIGHT COUPON / CHANGE TO
             FARE BREAK POINTS PERMITTED
             MUST BE DOMESTIC
          3. UA FARES ARE USED
          4. NEW TKT HAS - EQUAL OR HIGHER - FARE VALUE
             THAN PREVIOUS TKT
          5. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
          6. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO
          --
            WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN FARE DIFFERENCE
            ADD COLLECT FARE DIFFERENCE - IF APPLICABLE
          --
SPN Lifer and emcampbe like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Basic Economy is -B0 fares in this market; -O2 is a regular Economy fare.
Thank you for posting and the sample fare rules. So Kayak must have been reporting 'basic' in error.

Just curious - what is the 'special fare' notation in both of the rules near the top. Don't recall that being in the fare rules I see normally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.