Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If purchased on united.com you will have to accept a warning about choosing Basic Economy and there will be orange "Basic Economy" highlights everywhere during the booking process.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No free seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system. Flyers (including elite) have the option to purchase regular economy and preferred economy (white seats with black triangle on seat map) seats after ticket purchase. E+ seats are not available for purchase until check-in. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period including SDC (occasionally 1K's have successfully used Same Day Standby and received a confirmed seat without penalty)
  • Carry on limited to one personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers are not eligible for premium cabin upgrades either via CPU, mileage upgrade award or PlusPoints
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carry-on if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Normal PQPs / RDMs based on fare and elite multipliers
  • No PQFs
  • Flight(s) do count towards the 4 flight minimum for UA-operated
  • Full Lifetime mileage
  • Domestic Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'. International BE can be in any class.
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass
  • Canceling a basic economy ticket will receive a flight credit for the price of the ticket, minus a fee. For domestic flights, the fee is $49.50 for one-way tickets and $99 for roundtrip tickets. For international flights, the fee is $99.50 for one-way tickets and $199 for roundtrip tickets
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

To avoid domestic BE fares ITA Matrix ~bc=N . Ignoring them on international flights is much trickier because they do not have a consistent pattern in the fare basis; it appears to change by market / region. (That said, as UA is lifting BE from legacy GDS systems, it may result in them disappearing from ITA Matrix anyway).

Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag

NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.
-------
NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.

How is this different from buying up BE to regular economy?

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
Did UA really say changes need to be made by July 2 2023?
They did not say that on the phone but it is July 2 today. We are on with them now after 45 minute wait in 1K line for a supervisor.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
Did UA really say changes need to be made by July 2 2023?
OK - After 45 minutes waiting for supervisor, United apologized for the fact that they have new agents and made the change with no fee. I thanked them and shared I understood that there are new agents but still a little surprised they did not understand the basics of travel waivers. United took screen shots of the fact that the web site did also not apply the waiver and reported the bug to operations.

You DO NOT NEED to pay a fee on a basic economy ticket to take advantage of travel waivers.
Flying Machine and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
OP did you try rebooking Via the app? I find that it yields good results..
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
OP did you try rebooking Via the app? I find that it yields good results..
Almost. Booking through the Web site it showed $0 change fee but then wanted to collect depending on the route you changed. Great idea to have tried the Android Application on a phone but sorry we did not try that. I will remember next time as I have heard that sometimes helps.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by jrquad
Almost. Booking through the Web site it showed $0 change fee but then wanted to collect depending on the route you changed. Great idea to have tried the Android Application on a phone but sorry we did not try that. I will remember next time as I have heard that sometimes helps.
I have an iPhone with iOS, never made a booking or anything else of late on the website always use my phone. It’s been a stellar experience.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Did UA increased the price upgrading from basic to economy?

Did they?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by lsquare
Did they?
Probably. Why does it matter?

David
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
Did they?
What leads you to ask?

To cancel for a flight credit
Customers who choose to cancel a basic economy ticket will receive a flight credit for the price of their ticket, minus a fee. For domestic flights, the fee is $49.50 for one-way tickets and $99 for roundtrip tickets, while for international flights, the fee is $99.50 for one-way tickets and $199 for roundtrip tickets.
To convert to standard economy has been a variable price
f you’ve already purchased a Basic Economy ticket but find it too restrictive, you may have the option to add the benefits of a United Economy® fare for a service charge. This will allow you to enjoy many of the features of United Economy, including:
  • The option to change or cancel your flight without paying a change fee
  • The option to bring one full-size carry-on on board
  • Complimentary seat assignment before check-in
  • The ability to upgrade to Economy Plus or a premium cabin seat
The option to add United Economy benefits to Basic Economy tickets is only available for domestic U.S. flights and short-haul flights to Mexico, the Caribbean and Central America.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 11:04 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
If my friend is in economy, I am *G and first class, can he board with me ? same flight. thanks
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SKYEG
If my friend is in economy, I am *G and first class, can he board with me ? same flight. thanks
Yes, "We are travelling together"
SKYEG and SamirD like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:14 am

Location: NY Tri state- but hangs out in nicer weather in west coast
Programs: CO Plat, National VIP, Avis PC,
As a silver, any of the limits of basic economy ticket gone?

As a silver, if I purchase a basic economy ticket, are any of the limitations (compared to the economy) gone?

Thank you
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by ghurty
As a silver, if I purchase a basic economy ticket, are any of the limitations (compared to the economy) gone?

Thank you
UA summarizes it the best
MileagePlus and Premier member details
MileagePlus members, including Premier members, will earn:
  • Award miles based on the fare and MileagePlus status
  • Full Premier qualifying points (PQP)
  • No Premier qualifying flights
  • Lifetime miles
  • Toward the four-segment minimum
MileagePlus members, including Premier members, will not receive:
  • Complimentary Economy Plus seating
  • Paid upgrades
  • Mileage upgrades
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades
  • PlusPoints upgrades
If you’re a MileagePlus member with Premier status or traveling on the same reservation as Premier member, are the primary Cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or a Star Alliance™ Gold member, you are permitted to bring a carry-on for Basic Economy tickets.
They will keep their normal Boarding Group

Keypoint, Premier status does not provide advance seating assignments if BE or E+ access
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 9, 2022 at 9:26 am Reason: advance seating assignments
Old Aug 11, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
I am flying to NYC from Spain this Christmas with my wife and 1-year-old baby. I have to decide whether to fly with Lufthansa on Economy light or United on Basic economy.

I have star alliance gold on ANA. Which gets me better benefits? (lounge? Seat selection? Checked baggage?) It seems Lufthansa economy light only offers me 1 checked 20kg baggage as *G but with United basic economy I could get 2? Did I misunderstand it?
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 4:40 am

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Hello. When flying United from Europe to USA in Basic Economy, what is my luggage allowance considering I am Star Alliance Gold on ANA?

I plan to fly with my wife and baby.

I am confused as if I get 1 extra 20kg baggage or 2 20kg baggage.

Thank you
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by sodaisei
Hello. When flying United from Europe to USA in Basic Economy, what is my luggage allowance considering I am Star Alliance Gold on ANA?
The standard bag allowance for BE TATL is no free bags
For Basic Economy fares on trans-Atlantic flights, you'll be required to pay for your first checked bag.
non-UA *G is provided 1 additional bag allowance. So, each ticketed passenger on the PNR with you will receive the first bag free allowance (23kg)

But the bag calculator states 2 -- believe that is an error, as it also states 2 for "General and non-members in Basic Economy cabin" when *G is entered

What does you ticket receipt state? UA is bound by the receipt per DOT rules
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.