Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If purchased on united.com you will have to accept a warning about choosing Basic Economy and there will be orange "Basic Economy" highlights everywhere during the booking process.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No free seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system. Flyers (including elite) have the option to purchase regular economy and preferred economy (white seats with black triangle on seat map) seats after ticket purchase. E+ seats are not available for purchase until check-in. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period including SDC (occasionally 1K's have successfully used Same Day Standby and received a confirmed seat without penalty)
  • Carry on limited to one personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers are not eligible for premium cabin upgrades either via CPU, mileage upgrade award or PlusPoints
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carry-on if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Normal PQPs / RDMs based on fare and elite multipliers
  • No PQFs
  • Flight(s) do count towards the 4 flight minimum for UA-operated
  • Full Lifetime mileage
  • Domestic Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'. International BE can be in any class.
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass
  • Canceling a basic economy ticket will receive a flight credit for the price of the ticket, minus a fee. For domestic flights, the fee is $49.50 for one-way tickets and $99 for roundtrip tickets. For international flights, the fee is $99.50 for one-way tickets and $199 for roundtrip tickets
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

To avoid domestic BE fares ITA Matrix ~bc=N . Ignoring them on international flights is much trickier because they do not have a consistent pattern in the fare basis; it appears to change by market / region. (That said, as UA is lifting BE from legacy GDS systems, it may result in them disappearing from ITA Matrix anyway).

Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag

NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.
-------
NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.

How is this different from buying up BE to regular economy?

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2023, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Basic economy has more restrictions. Details on Basic economy are here: https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...c-economy.html
Be sure to look through the details, as there are different restrictions for domestic versus TPAC.
I can't be sure but it looks like basic economy can only check in one bag for free whereas economy can check two bags for free plus choose your seat. The economy link was surprisingly sparse on details.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 10:07 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by frostin
I can't be sure but it looks like basic economy can only check in one bag for free whereas economy can check two bags for free plus choose your seat. The economy link was surprisingly sparse on details.
Also the Basic Economy ticket is more restrictive on changes. Those are probably the big three differences.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 7:12 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Haven't flown UA domestically for a while. What are the currently available *G benefits on Basic Economy fare? When I tried to do a dummy booking, it appears that a carry on will incur a charge now. Would that get waived like the first checked bag for *G? Is priority check-in and security still available? Are these benefits available to non-status pax traveling on same PNR? TIA.

LAX
lsquare and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by LAX
Haven't flown UA domestically for a while. What are the currently available *G benefits on Basic Economy fare? When I tried to do a dummy booking, it appears that a carry on will incur a charge now. Would that get waived like the first checked bag for *G? Is priority check-in and security still available? Are these benefits available to non-status pax traveling on same PNR? TIA.

LAX
Yes, *G will get a carry-on bag for free. From the link posted directly above:

For MileagePlus Premier members or cardholders

You get one free carry-on if you’re a MileagePlus member with Premier status, traveling with a Premier member, or are the primary card member of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or a Star Alliance Gold member.
Others on the PNR of a *G would not have the benefit extended. Others traveling with a United Premier member would.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 9:26 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Yes, *G will get a carry-on bag for free. From the link posted directly above:

Others on the PNR of a *G would not have the benefit extended. Others traveling with a United Premier member would.
Thanks. So, UA has stopped extending all *G benefits to pax traveling on same PNR?

LAX
lsquare and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 12:35 pm

After booking Basic Economy with no seat assigned (3 adults + 2 children), received an email ~15 min after booking saying "Your family has been assigned seats on your flight to XXX". In the email, it says "Seat information - 29E Middle,29D Aisle,29F Window,28F Window,28E Middle".

However, when I log on and "manage trip", it still shows no seat assigned. Any idea why? Will the assigned seats show up later?

* flight is 4.5 months from now *
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by SilverGGA; Mar 15, 2023 at 12:46 pm
Old Mar 15, 2023, 1:05 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by SilverGGA
After booking Basic Economy with no seat assigned (3 adults + 2 children), received an email ~15 min after booking saying "Your family has been assigned seats on your flight to XXX". In the email, it says "Seat information - 29E Middle,29D Aisle,29F Window,28F Window,28E Middle".

However, when I log on and "manage trip", it still shows no seat assigned. Any idea why? Will the assigned seats show up later?

Could just take a bit to propagate through the system. I would check again in a day or two and if it's still missing, call in and have them look at it.
SilverGGA likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 3:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

with 29DEF and 28EF, 4 months out with BE, looks like an an example of United Makes It Easier for Families to Sit Together in action
SPN Lifer and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
with 29DEF and 28EF, 4 months out with BE, looks like an an example of United Makes It Easier for Families to Sit Together in action
Yes. I am new to United BE. Was going to use Amex Plat credits to at least get the 2 kids sit with 1 adult.

Now I am waiting for the seat assignment to actually show up in the trip management tap. Still within 24 hours of my booking, so will just wait a couple of days.

* my flight is to YVR and it allows carry-on as well. I was thinking carry-on not allowed for BE. Don't have any status or special credit card (except Amex Plat)*
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by SilverGGA; Mar 15, 2023 at 4:41 pm
Old Mar 15, 2023, 8:55 pm

I was thinking carry-on not allowed for BE. Don't have any status or special credit card (except Amex Plat)*
I believe with amx plat you can get free checked bag on your 'designated' airline. If you've designated united, that's the amx perk.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 6:31 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by LAX
Thanks. So, UA has stopped extending all *G benefits to pax traveling on same PNR?

LAX
dont think this is correct-as i understand 1k can still get economy plus seating for travelling companions even if they are not premier status level..
however obviously this doesnt apply to BE/
or am i wrong?
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
dont think this is correct-as i understand 1k can still get economy plus seating for travelling companions even if they are not premier status level..
or am i wrong?
I thought 1K doesn't get free seat selection on BE fares.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

* my flight is to YVR and it allows carry-on as well. I was thinking carry-on not allowed for BE. Don't have any status or special credit card (except Amex Plat)*
UA has several different products called Basic Economy, each with slightly different rules. You should be able to find the restrictions on your itinerary ‘ confirmation email; UA also would have presented them during the purchase process.

Originally Posted by SamirD
I believe with amx plat you can get free checked bag on your 'designated' airline. If you've designated united, that's the amx perk.
OP asked about a carry-on, not a checked bag; and anyway, I’d have to imagine that this perk is handled by AMEX offering a statement credit for checked bag fees — UA’s not going to waive them on its own because AMEX said so.

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
or am i wrong?
The question was whether or not non-UA *G benefits still apply to everyone on a common PNR. You’re correct about 1K, but it doesn’t answer the question directly. (And, yes, the seating benefit doesn’t apply to BE, as you state).
SPN Lifer, SilverGGA and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
OP asked about a carry-on, not a checked bag; and anyway, I’d have to imagine that this perk is handled by AMEX offering a statement credit for checked bag fees — UA’s not going to waive them on its own because AMEX said so.
Nevertheless, there is a bag fee waiver when using premium cards like the amex plat and chase metal one. I know because my wife and I have these and have designated two different airlines so we don't have any bag fees when booking using the respective card. It's an arrangement between the card company and the airline and is common with many cards.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by SamirD
Nevertheless, there is a bag fee waiver when using premium cards like the amex plat and chase metal one. I know because my wife and I have these and have designated two different airlines so we don't have any bag fees when booking using the respective card. It's an arrangement between the card company and the airline and is common with many cards.
The Amex Platinum does not cause any baggage fees to be waived. You can designate an airline to receive up to $200 per year of statement credits to reimburse certain types of charges from that airline, of which baggage charges are one type. The airline is not involved in this arrangement and receives payment in full like any other customer - Amex credits the cardholder directly.

Similarly, the Chase Sapphire Reserve provides a $300 annual statement credit to offset all purchases that categorize as "travel", but again there is no waiver and a charge will appear for checked bags.

Certain co-branded airline cards, such as the Chase United Explorer card, do provide a negotiated waiver but it is specific to the airline that is part of the branding.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.