Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If purchased on united.com you will have to accept a warning about choosing Basic Economy and there will be orange "Basic Economy" highlights everywhere during the booking process.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No free seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system. Flyers (including elite) have the option to purchase regular economy and preferred economy (white seats with black triangle on seat map) seats after ticket purchase. E+ seats are not available for purchase until check-in. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period including SDC (occasionally 1K's have successfully used Same Day Standby and received a confirmed seat without penalty)
  • Carry on limited to one personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers are not eligible for premium cabin upgrades either via CPU, mileage upgrade award or PlusPoints
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carry-on if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Normal PQPs / RDMs based on fare and elite multipliers
  • No PQFs
  • Flight(s) do count towards the 4 flight minimum for UA-operated
  • Full Lifetime mileage
  • Domestic Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'. International BE can be in any class.
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass
  • Canceling a basic economy ticket will receive a flight credit for the price of the ticket, minus a fee. For domestic flights, the fee is $49.50 for one-way tickets and $99 for roundtrip tickets. For international flights, the fee is $99.50 for one-way tickets and $199 for roundtrip tickets
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

To avoid domestic BE fares ITA Matrix ~bc=N . Ignoring them on international flights is much trickier because they do not have a consistent pattern in the fare basis; it appears to change by market / region. (That said, as UA is lifting BE from legacy GDS systems, it may result in them disappearing from ITA Matrix anyway).

Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag

NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.
-------
NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.

How is this different from buying up BE to regular economy?

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2022, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The standard bag allowance for BE TATL is no free bags
non-UA *G is provided 1 additional bag allowance. So, each ticketed passenger on the PNR with you will receive the first bag free allowance (23kg)

But the bag calculator states 2 -- believe that is an error, as it also states 2 for "General and non-members in Basic Economy cabin" when *G is entered

What does you ticket receipt state? UA is bound by the receipt per DOT rules
For seat selection, do I have to pay a fee for each segment? Does that mean a multi-segment flight is more expensive than flying direct for seat selection? Is there a way to check what the seat selection fee is prior to purchase?

Having UA status such as 1K doesn't even get a free checked bag for tatl flights?
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lsquare
...Having UA status such as 1K doesn't even get a free checked bag for tatl flights?
You get normal 1K status bag allowance and BG1 boarding, so you get the carry-on allowance also.
lsquare and SamirD like this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 6:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For seat selection, do I have to pay a fee for each segment? Does that mean a multi-segment flight is more expensive than flying direct for seat selection? Is there a way to check what the seat selection fee is prior to purchase? ...
Yes {depending on cabin and fare booked} and Yes -- go to LX's website or the appropriate partner.for their fees.

Having UA status such as 1K doesn't even get a free checked bag for tatl flights?
Individual asking was not an 1K or even an elite, hence no comments made about 1K benefits

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You get normal 1K status bag allowance and BG1 boarding, so you get the carry-on allowance also.
On a UA operated flights, on a partner you will get *G benefits (when offered)
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'm trying to understand seat selection pricing. You got any idea?
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
Booked a basic economy fare with my Chase United Buisness card. For the first time I didn't get priority boarding benefit on my ticket and security monitor would not let me through to TSA at LAX.

Hustled over to a check in agent and they were completely clueless about the card benefit. Even though my ticket clearly said no fee for first bag I was then charged $35 to check in my carryon.

I've issued a straight forward refund request for the checked bag fee with my original ticket receipt which I would hope will go through without hassle.

After which I'll follow up about the stressful boarding zone snafu. Any idea what might have happened here?
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Sounds like your MP account number got dropped from the ticket. Why, no idea.

or

Where did you purchase the ticket? Was it not on united.com? Somethings the purchase information / credit type does not get transmitted to UA.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:00 pm

I'm a bit confused by the BE to Regular Economy option.

So I'm thinking about cancelling a flight that currently costs me $140... if I cancel BE I will get $41 back.

But UA gives me an option to upgrade to Economy for $99.... if I pay the $99... then proceed to cancel do I get only the $140 in flight credit? Or will I get $239 in flight credit?
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by firemandan9
Booked a basic economy fare with my Chase United Buisness card. For the first time I didn't get priority boarding benefit on my ticket and security monitor would not let me through to TSA at LAX.

Hustled over to a check in agent and they were completely clueless about the card benefit. Even though my ticket clearly said no fee for first bag I was then charged $35 to check in my carryon.

I've issued a straight forward refund request for the checked bag fee with my original ticket receipt which I would hope will go through without hassle.

After which I'll follow up about the stressful boarding zone snafu. Any idea what might have happened here?
my questions would be:

- How long before the flight did you get the card?
- Where did you book the ticket (was it via a UA channel or somewhere else (ie, OTA, another carrier, etc.).

If you recently got the card and then immediately booked a ticket, it’s possible there was a lag in processing that you had the card, which could be an issue

if you booked elsewhere than UA, the payment info. Doesnt get transmitted, and therefore, you certainly wouldn’t get the bag benefit. The boarding benefit is typically based on MO#, and doesn’t require use of the card. So maybe your FF # wasn’t properly listed?

Originally Posted by Antshill
I'm a bit confused by the BE to Regular Economy option.

So I'm thinking about cancelling a flight that currently costs me $140... if I cancel BE I will get $41 back.

But UA gives me an option to upgrade to Economy for $99.... if I pay the $99... then proceed to cancel do I get only the $140 in flight credit? Or will I get $239 in flight credit?
BE is non-refundable/non-changeable (unless they put another waiver out, possible, but I hadn’t seen one). In that case, canceling your flights would leave you $0 value without the ‘upgrade’ option to regular economy benefits.

the $99 option would give you the option to cancel, and get a full credit without additional fees. So if you paid the $99, you’d get the full $140 value in credit. The fee you pay would not be part of your credit - that is a fee separate from airfare.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe

BE is non-refundable/non-changeable (unless they put another waiver out, possible, but I hadn’t seen one). In that case, canceling your flights would leave you $0 value without the ‘upgrade’ option to regular economy benefits.

the $99 option would give you the option to cancel, and get a full credit without additional fees. So if you paid the $99, you’d get the full $140 value in credit. The fee you pay would not be part of your credit - that is a fee separate from airfare.
I think its changed since April? Its $49.50 one way to cancel a BE.. so RT is $99 fee for cancellation.
SamirD likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 8:25 am

Hi, if you purchase a United basic economy ticket and use travel bank funds plus $5 (or some other amount) on my Chase United Business card, will I receive a free bag or do I have to put the entire fare on my United Business card to receive a free bag (& priority boarding)? From what I've gathered reading this and other posts it would appear so but wanted to confirm as I fly UA the least of any airline and am not 100% certain. BE works for me because its always non-stop to where I need to go and the only seats are either aisle or window. TIA
SamirD likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by EZjace
Hi, if you purchase a United basic economy ticket and use travel bank funds plus $5 (or some other amount) on my Chase United Business card, will I receive a free bag or do I have to put the entire fare on my United Business card to receive a free bag (& priority boarding)? ...
Partial funding such as $5 should provide the bag waiver
Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees

BG2 boarding is provided for cardholder independent of purchase method.
SamirD and EZjace like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:01 am

Question about United booking and Lufthansa Flights

I recently booked a round trip flight to Portugal through United. The flights are operated by Lufthansa.

I chose Standard Economy instead of Basic Economy because United's website said this would allow me to choose our seats. (I don't need any checked bags) However, after finishing booking, I was directed to Lufthansa's website, where I was told I had to pay an extra $35 for each seat chosen.

I then went back and forth with United's and Lufthansa's customer service about whether or not I actually had to pay that extra $35 for each seat. United told me I shouldn't pay it and Lufthansa should waive the fee, but Lufthansa was firm that it didn't matter what class of economy I booked through United, I would have to pay the $35 per seat.

So then I decided I should just downgrade to Basic Economy through United since I would be paying Lufthansa for seat reservations regardless. The United rep told me I could do this, but then I would only be allowed to bring personal items on board, no carry-on bags. I am skeptical of this, since Lufthansa's website says all levels of economy can bring a carry-on and a personal item and they are the ones actually operating the flight.

So, the TLDR versions is: If I downgrade from Standard Economy to Basic Economy on a Lufthansa operated flight that I booked through United, will I still be able to bring a carry-on and personal item?

Thank you for any help!!
SamirD likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Kablob
I recently booked a round trip flight to Portugal through United. The flights are operated by Lufthansa.

I chose Standard Economy instead of Basic Economy because United's website said this would allow me to choose our seats. (I don't need any checked bags) However, after finishing booking, I was directed to Lufthansa's website, where I was told I had to pay an extra $35 for each seat chosen.

I then went back and forth with United's and Lufthansa's customer service about whether or not I actually had to pay that extra $35 for each seat. United told me I shouldn't pay it and Lufthansa should waive the fee, but Lufthansa was firm that it didn't matter what class of economy I booked through United, I would have to pay the $35 per seat.

So then I decided I should just downgrade to Basic Economy through United since I would be paying Lufthansa for seat reservations regardless. The United rep told me I could do this, but then I would only be allowed to bring personal items on board, no carry-on bags. I am skeptical of this, since Lufthansa's website says all levels of economy can bring a carry-on and a personal item and they are the ones actually operating the flight.

So, the TLDR versions is: If I downgrade from Standard Economy to Basic Economy on a Lufthansa operated flight that I booked through United, will I still be able to bring a carry-on and personal item?

Thank you for any help!!
Agent is getting concufsed between domestic BE and international BE. International BE is harmonized among *A carriers and allows a personal item and carry on, but the first checked bag is NOT included (compared to domestic BE which is personal item only). Regarding seat selection, it's the operating carrier that determiens those requirements. In the US there are frequently a few advanced seat assignments available for no charge (on regular economy fare, however if all those are taken, your still expected to pay for a preferred zone seat if you want an advanced seat assignment) . In Europe I'm not aware of them making any seats available in advance without a fee to non-elites.

FOr yout TLDR: yes you will be able to have personal item and carry on, but if your checking a bag you will need to pay for the checked bag if you downgrade the fare
jsloan and SamirD like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Agent is getting concufsed between domestic BE and international BE. International BE is harmonized among *A carriers and allows a personal item and carry on, but the first checked bag is NOT included (compared to domestic BE which is personal item only). Regarding seat selection, it's the operating carrier that determiens those requirements. In the US there are frequently a few advanced seat assignments available for no charge (on regular economy fare, however if all those are taken, your still expected to pay for a preferred zone seat if you want an advanced seat assignment) . In Europe I'm not aware of them making any seats available in advance without a fee to non-elites.

FOr yout TLDR: yes you will be able to have personal item and carry on, but if your checking a bag you will need to pay for the checked bag if you downgrade the fare

Thank you! I suspected this, but wanted to make sure!
SamirD likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Kablob
I chose Standard Economy instead of Basic Economy because United's website said this would allow me to choose our seats....
Yes, on United operated flights. But when booking non-united operated flights, you need to check the flight operator, UA does not provide that information. And LH does not offer advance seat assignment for paid economy fares. LH Advance Seat selection fees for flights booked on UA tickets (including codeshares

And as mention, TATL BE is harmonized and different from domestic BE,
See UA's Basic Economy
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 12, 2022 at 12:19 pm Reason: links

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.