Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 77x Future/Changed Routes w/ Polaris Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
Current 77W Routes:
SFO/HKG (UA 862/869) Started 25MAR17
EWR/TLV (UA 90/91) Started 5MAY17
SFO/NRT (UA 837/838) Started 14JUN17
SFO/TPE (UA 871/872) Started 1AUG17
SFO/FRA (UA 58/59) Started 5OCT17
EWR/NRT (UA 79/78) Started 28OCT17
SFO/AKL (UA 916/917) Resumes seasonal service 27OCT18 - 29MAR19 (non-seasonal 3x weekly service operated by 772)
SFO/LHR (UA 901/949) Started 23APR18, ends 26OCT18, resumes 30MAR19
SFO/TLV (UA 954/955) Started 23MAY18
EWR/BOM (UA 48/49) Started 27OCT18
EWR/HKG (UA 179/180) Started 30MAR19

Current Non-77W routes
772 Retrofit:
EWR/BRU (UA 999/998) Started 30MAR19
EWR/CDG (UA 57/56) Started 30MAR19
IAD/BRU (UA 950/951) Started 30MAR19
IAD/CDG (UA 915/914) Starts 29APR19
IAD/TLV (UA 72/73) Starts 22MAY19, 3x weekly
SFO/PEK (UA 888/889) Started 30MAR19
SFO/FRA (UA 926/927) Started 30MAR19
SFO/CDG (UA 990/984) Starts 29APR19
SFO/ICN (UA 805/806) Started 1APR19, 4x weekly
SFO/AKL (UA 916/917) Started off-season service 30MAR19, 3x weekly

Past routes:
EWR/FRA (UA 960/961) 24MAR18 - 31JUL18 (now operated by 78J)
SFO/EWR (various), currently operated by 752, 78J, 77G
Print Wikipost

United 77x Future/Changed Routes w/ Polaris Seats

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by mangoMan
Not a big UA flyer, so not sure if this is common knowledge, but my Aug '18 FRA-SFO flight got downgraded from a 77W to a 789. Bummed, since I had scored 4 saver J awards and was excited to be in the latest seats. Oh well.
There's still a chance it will switch back...... keep hope!
mangoMan likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Not a big UA flyer, so not sure if this is common knowledge, but my Aug '18 FRA-SFO flight got downgraded from a 77W to a 789. Bummed, since I had scored 4 saver J awards and was excited to be in the latest seats. Oh well.
I was just about to post on this! I specifically chose UA over my usual LX routing just to try the 777-300ER Polaris.

On the bright side, at least they didn't swap in a 777-200....
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
For the couple of days I looked, it only appears to be the later flight and the earlier flight is still a 77W, change of aircraft constitutes a schedule change, if you can you should be able to switch to the earlier flight.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by N104UA
change of aircraft constitutes a schedule change, if you can you should be able to switch to the earlier flight.
That's not what the CoC says. You might be able to talk an agent into a free change based on change from the Polaris seat (different "seating configuration"), but a mere aircraft swap is not enough. Otherwise we'd all be getting free changes every time UA swapped a 739 for a 738 or a 319 for a 320.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Polaris hard product Q1 2018

Where can I find a list of routes with Polaris hard product? I have tried to wade through threads to find it, but can't find an actual list anywere - just mixtures of speculation and future plans.

I actually have some flexibility in a trip to Asia and am willing to take that into consideration.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 24, 2018 at 12:14 am Reason: merged to the relevant thread
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:14 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Where can I find a list of routes with Polaris hard product? ...
Check this thread's wiki
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Check this thread's wiki
I had already done that - I asked because there are other types with the new hard product - 4 of the 767-300 according to the Polaris website Polaris Tracker - Desktop
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
I had already done that - I asked because there are other types with the new hard product - 4 of the 767-300 according to the Polaris website Polaris Tracker - Desktop
The only dedicated routes with the Polaris hard product are the ones listed on the wiki above. The 763s with the Polaris hard product have no dedicated route and are assigned to wherever the 763 flies to.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's not what the CoC says. You might be able to talk an agent into a free change based on change from the Polaris seat (different "seating configuration"), but a mere aircraft swap is not enough. Otherwise we'd all be getting free changes every time UA swapped a 739 for a 738 or a 319 for a 320.
Last I checked the 789 has a different seating configuration from the 77W, so call it whatever you want, but the CoC allows a change in this instance
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
I've been able to change to another flight twice when the 777 I picked was swapped out, one a 772 three class and the other the 773.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:59 am

Last I checked the 789 has a different seating configuration from the 77W, so call it whatever you want, but the CoC allows a change in this instance
Originally Posted by AugustusM
I've been able to change to another flight twice when the 777 I picked was swapped out, one a 772 three class and the other the 773.
Is everyone looking at the same CoC? I believe AA (I know, it's not UA) allows for a refund due to equipment swap on international itineraries, but not domestic. Also I think it's in the "International Tariff" and not the CoC itself.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Seat layout is not "seating configuration" within the meaning of the CoC. They are talking about a materially different type of seat, e.g., lie-flat to recliner. I understand people have had success arguing that a switch from Polaris seat to one of the older seats qualifies, but that does not mean any aircraft swap gets you a free change.

Honestly, you think a swap from a 319 to a 320 entitles you to a fee-free change?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:35 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Seat layout is not "seating configuration" within the meaning of the CoC. They are talking about a materially different type of seat, e.g., lie-flat to recliner. I understand people have had success arguing that a switch from Polaris seat to one of the older seats qualifies, but that does not mean any aircraft swap gets you a free change.

Honestly, you think a swap from a 319 to a 320 entitles you to a fee-free change?
It should also be noted that the "seating configuration" change is mentioned only under the section for "Irregular Operations." While one might argue, based on the text of the rule, that an advance aircraft swap can lead to a "seating configuration" change and therefore qualify as "Irregular Operations," the CoC can also be read to imply that "Irregular Operations," by its nature, excludes advance schedule changes. Under that reading, then the OP has what the CoC refers to as a "Schedule Change," which the CoC defines to be along the lines of any change to the itinerary that is not Irregular Operations (and some other stuff).

If this is indeed a Schedule Change, then United may take the position that the CoC does not require United to make changes for the passenger unless the arrival or departure time changes by 30 minutes or more. (IIRC, older versions of the CoC did not impose the 30-minute requirement, so in the old days there was probably more flexibility to adjust an itinerary based on an advance aircraft swap.) Thus, if the OP's flight times are roughly the same as before, United may not agree with an argument that the CoC allows a swap. That said, it may not be hard to find a sympathetic agent who will swap anyway, if one can persuade the agent (and/or supervisor) that the booking was made for the purpose of the Polaris seat.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by nnn
It should also be noted that the "seating configuration" change is mentioned only under the section for "Irregular Operations." While one might argue, based on the text of the rule, that an advance aircraft swap can lead to a "seating configuration" change and therefore qualify as "Irregular Operations," the CoC can also be read to imply that "Irregular Operations," by its nature, excludes advance schedule changes. Under that reading, then the OP has what the CoC refers to as a "Schedule Change," which the CoC defines to be along the lines of any change to the itinerary that is not Irregular Operations (and some other stuff).

If this is indeed a Schedule Change, then United may take the position that the CoC does not require United to make changes for the passenger unless the arrival or departure time changes by 30 minutes or more. (IIRC, older versions of the CoC did not impose the 30-minute requirement, so in the old days there was probably more flexibility to adjust an itinerary based on an advance aircraft swap.) Thus, if the OP's flight times are roughly the same as before, United may not agree with an argument that the CoC allows a swap. That said, it may not be hard to find a sympathetic agent who will swap anyway, if one can persuade the agent (and/or supervisor) that the booking was made for the purpose of the Polaris seat.
When I logged in to check the reservation and to reassign seats, it notified me that a schedule change had occurred and I either had to accept or not accept the reservation. Looking at the departure/arrival times, they had changed by only about 10 min. so I didn't see any point in not accepting, so I hit the 'accept' button and went on to change my seats. I did not know there was an earlier FRA-SFO flight at the time. We currently have a 6.5 hr layover in FRA, so the earlier flight would be desirable. Is it worth pursuing this by calling UA, given that:

1) We have no status with UA
2) It is an award flight, booked under the old 57.5K saver rate
3) There doesn't appear to be award availability on the earlier flight
4) I already clicked the 'accept' button

I don't see any point in calling, but maybe the UA experts can advise differently?

Thanks all!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
When I logged in to check the reservation and to reassign seats, it notified me that a schedule change had occurred and I either had to accept or not accept the reservation. Looking at the departure/arrival times, they had changed by only about 10 min. so I didn't see any point in not accepting, so I hit the 'accept' button and went on to change my seats. I did not know there was an earlier FRA-SFO flight at the time. We currently have a 6.5 hr layover in FRA, so the earlier flight would be desirable. Is it worth pursuing this by calling UA, given that:

1) We have no status with UA
2) It is an award flight, booked under the old 57.5K saver rate
3) There doesn't appear to be award availability on the earlier flight
4) I already clicked the 'accept' button

I don't see any point in calling, but maybe the UA experts can advise differently?

Thanks all!
You might as well call in and ask if you think it's worth your time. The least they can say is no and then are you back where you started anyway. These types of situations really depend on the agent you get and how they understand/interpret the CoC. With that being said, another angle is whether or not the agent interprets the CoC as allowing you to make a change could be irrelevant if they are sympathetic to your story of wanting to try the new Polaris seats out. If it were me I would make the call and if I didn't get the answer I liked on the first one I would likely try it again. You never know until you try.
FlyerTalkUserName likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.