Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO-AKL JV w/NZ, all year UA metal, 77W Nov18-Mar19, 772 Apr19-Oct19 (+newORD-AKL NZ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
27 March 2018
Air New Zealand service between Auckland and Chicago

From Nov. 30, 2018, Air New Zealand will operate three times weekly, year-round service with its new configuration Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft. Flight time will be approximately 15 hours northbound and just over 16 hours southbound. Air New Zealand code share service will be offered on around 100 flights across the U.S. for convenient connections to Auckland via Chicago. United Airlines operates more flights from its hub at O'Hare International Airport than any other airline, with more than 500 flights to 147 airports across the United States.

United expands service between San Francisco and Auckland

Beginning in April 2019, United will extend service between its West Coast hub in San Francisco and Auckland to year-round with three-times-weekly service. In partnership with Air New Zealand, United's flight arriving in Auckland will offer passengers more than 20 connections across the region. The return trip utilizes United's extensive route network in San Francisco, which provides connections to the United States, Canada, and Latin America. United operates more than 290 daily flights from its hub at San Francisco International Airport to 79 airports across the U.S. and 26 international destinations. Tickets for the expanded San Francisco schedule will be available on united.com and airnewzealand.com later this year.

United service between San Francisco and Auckland will operate with a Boeing 777-300ER between November and March and will operate with Boeing 777-200ER aircraft between April and October.
Originally Posted by jimyvr
UA will now fly the 77W on SFO AKL when it resumes operation 29OCT17 - 22MAR18 (from SFO). Overall frequency will be 6 weekly, and increasing to 7 weekly from mid-Dec. UA73/74 is canceled.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...as-of-01sep17/
United Airlines suspends NZ service (Suspension Period: April 18, 2017 - October 30, 2017)

Per New Zealand Herald quoting UA:

This change is in response to seasonal variations, which will also see United Airlines adding an additional three flights per week starting December 18, 2017 after resuming its daily Auckland to San Francisco services on October 31, 2017. This will increase services to a total of 10 United's flights per week during the high seasonal demand period. Passengers who have already purchased tickets during the suspended period are being contacted by the airline and offered flights on the Air New Zealand service instead. We apologise to customers for any inconvenience and advise that customers will not be out of pocket as a result of this shift in scheduling and will retain all frequent flyer benefits."
Print Wikipost

SFO-AKL JV w/NZ, all year UA metal, 77W Nov18-Mar19, 772 Apr19-Oct19 (+newORD-AKL NZ)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
And how is that going to work when there are no sufficiently early flights out of the originating city to connect to UA metal in SYD given the 0945/1030 LAX and SFO departures -- be it on NZ or, as in my case, on any airline, at all? Would seem to go against the promise that customers will not be coming out of pocket if I have to pay to RON in SYD, aside from the significant inconvenience.
Don't get me wrong, it's a lousy situation to be in and I'm not trying to say UA is doing right by people in this situation. Just stating what I think they are likely to do for you other than "full refund only".

FWIW, I don't have MCT at SYD written down, but NZ has arrivals WLG-SYD at 0825 and AKL-SYD at 0835. Also WLG-MEL 0805 and CHC-MEL 0800 to catch the 1025 MEL-LAX. So there are same-day options.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by findark
Don't get me wrong, it's a lousy situation to be in and I'm not trying to say UA is doing right by people in this situation. Just stating what I think they are likely to do for you other than "full refund only".

FWIW, I don't have MCT at SYD written down, but NZ has arrivals WLG-SYD at 0825 and AKL-SYD at 0835. Also WLG-MEL 0815 and CHC-MEL 0805 to catch the 1025 MEL-LAX. So there are same-day options.
Yeah I'm just saying I doubt I'm even going to get offered a real solution versus the refund, which is a very lousy outcome considering flights exist to make it work on NZ.

The one airport you didn't list was ZQN -- nothing leaves for SYD on any airline until 12:15.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
And how is that going to work when there are no sufficiently early flights out of the originating city to connect to UA metal in SYD given the 0945/1030 LAX and SFO departures -- be it on NZ or, as in my case, on any airline, at all? Would seem to go against the promise that customers will not be coming out of pocket if I have to pay to RON in SYD, aside from the significant inconvenience.
QF140 is definitely a legal connection (arrives SYD at 7:40am) and I've booked UA tickets on it. Obviously not *A but perfectly serviceable transtasman
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by samyoull
QF140 is definitely a legal connection (arrives SYD at 7:40am) and I've booked UA tickets on it. Obviously not *A but perfectly serviceable transtasman
Doesn't operate on my particular day of departure. Only QF-operated flight is 122 departing 1525.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Doesn't operate on my particular day of departure. Only QF-operated flight is 122 departing 1525.
Whoops, sorry didn't realise you were talking ex ZQN - that's a stickier situation.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
I was booked on P fares after the date UA will stop flying (specifically chose a refundable P fare). After the AKL-SFO segment dropped from my reservation, I called the 1K desk.

Call #1. The agent was very friendly and understanding, but she would only book me on ANZ flights that had P availability, which was either one day before or after my original booking. These days did not work, as we have other plans booked on both ends. After a lot of discussion, she offered a refund, but said she could not accommodate me on ANZ on my original departure date without buying up to the next fare class. Said I'll think about it and goodbye. I later called back.

Call #2. Agent was far less friendly. Immediately tried to brush me off saying they don't book on other airlines for schedule changes. Talked to her a bit more -- I had to explain to her that UA pulled out of the market for that date. She put me on hold for a while. Then she came back and said she would accommodate me on ANZ on the day I want, and asked if I prefer SFO or LAX. I chose LAX, and we went back and forth on connection times (told me I could either have a <2 hr layover or a 8 hour layover, but nothing in between?!). After some more discussion and another long hold, she booked what I wanted and reissued the ticket. Ended up booked on J fare on ANZ.

But then I looked at the new e-ticket receipt, which at the bottom says "nonref" even though my original booking was specifically booked refundable.

Call #3. Asked about the refundability. She agreed that the new ticket says nonrefundable, but promised that the original fare rules would be honored if I ever needed to cancel in the future because it was due to a schedule change. Let's hope she's right if that's the case.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Really disappointed by UA in their lack of pro-activeness on this issue -- even if they weren't going to just automatically rebook you on the NZ flights an email at least alerting you to call to discuss options would have been more appropriate. Think I am still going to wait to see how things shake out over the next week, but so far not impressed whatsoever.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by adambadam
Really disappointed by UA in their lack of pro-activeness on this issue -- even if they weren't going to just automatically rebook you on the NZ flights an email at least alerting you to call to discuss options would have been more appropriate. Think I am still going to wait to see how things shake out over the next week, but so far not impressed whatsoever.
My only sympathy right now is that it seems like the folks responsible for making alternate arrangements only found out about this over the weekend and with thousands of customers to rebook that is going to take some time. I'm inclined to give them a few days but wish they had some forethought here.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
AKL-SFO is operated by the 77W, some services can be the 772 but mainly the 77W.
I was looking at the dates of my booking, saw the NZA operates the flight with B772. Must be the low season thing.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Thanks iahphx, televisor sharing your experience with NZA in Y.

No reach out by UA yet but getting ready to give them a call soon.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: UA GS
I was surprised to see my business saver AKL-SFO flight missing when I happened to check my reservation. No e-mail or red text indicating any changes. I was worried that it would mess up my stopover and the miles required for my pre-October 6th award ticket.

After being transferred to web support, the first part my trip was changed from AKL-SFO-IAD-GRU to AKL-PEK-SFO-PTY-GRU without any additional miles but a small increase in taxes. The agent was able to keep my remaining flights intact.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by ICN1K
I was surprised to see my business saver AKL-SFO flight missing when I happened to check my reservation. No e-mail or red text indicating any changes. I was worried that it would mess up my stopover and the miles required for my pre-October 6th award ticket.

After being transferred to web support, the first part my trip was changed from AKL-SFO-IAD-GRU to AKL-PEK-SFO-PTY-GRU without any additional miles but a small increase in taxes. The agent was able to keep my remaining flights intact.
Thats a change you suggested? SFO-PTY-GRU is a narrowbody.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I figured I would share my experience here getting rebooked, we were on UA in J on Saver Award Tickets, luckly we only had one way tickets and award tickets on a another reservation to Australia. All in all it took 5 calls and about 3 hours to be rebooked. Ultimately we were rebooked out of SYD on the nonstop, everytime I called was told they have no availability (even on the own metal out of SYD) and on the fifth call I realized they were speaking about saver availability. After explaining the situation they rebooked us in UA J out of SYD, I just held my ground and explained that I didn't want to be rebooked through Asia or take Y but would be shoot to get myself to SYD, but it took a ton of time to accomplish.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
FYI here is the UA policy that went out to travel agents, though it only covers revenue tickets.

Code:
Issue date: 8 JAN 2016
Service discontinuation: San Francisco (SFO) – Auckland, New Zealand (AKL)

Travel period: April 15, 2017 – October 29, 2017

United is offering travel protection for customers due to a seasonal service suspension. Disrupted passengers should be booked onto Air New Zealand (NZ) services by booking inventory through normal GDS availability using the following guidelines:

Passengers with SFO origin or destination: rebook onto NZ SFO-AKL service
Passengers with origins or destinations closer to west coast gateways versus Houston: rebook via NZ LAX-AKL service
Passengers with origins or destinations closer to Houston, or in eastern USA: rebook via NZ IAH-AKL service
As a last option, passengers may be rebooked onto UA services via Sydney, Australia (SYD) and then onto NZ to New Zealand.
Note: Passengers should be rebooked onto NZ operations between SFO/LAX/IAH – AKL using the UA marketing flight number or in accordance with the below mapping:

SFO/LAX/HOU-AKL in either direction
UA marketing RBD	NZ operating RBD
F to	C
A to	C
J to	C
C to	C
D to	D
Z to	Z
P to	J
Y to	Y
B to	B
M to	M
H to	H
Q to	Q
V to	V
W to	W
S to	T
T to	L
L to	S
K to	G
G to	K
For all other markets, please rebook in the originally ticketed booking class (RBD) in accordance with the class mapping shown below.

Other international Sectors
UA marketing RBD	NZ operating RBD
F to	C
A to	C
J to	C
C to	Z
D to	Z
Z to	J
P to	J
Y to	Y
B to	M
M to	H
E to	Q
U to	Q
H to	V
Q to	W
V to	T
W to	L
S to	S
T to	S
L to	S
K to	S
G to	S
N to	S
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Thats a change you suggested? SFO-PTY-GRU is a narrowbody.
Thank you for making me aware of the aircraft type. I would have missed it. After calling again and speaking with 4 different agents I was put on SFO-YYZ-GRU.

Last edited by ICN1K; Jan 10, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.