Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO-AKL JV w/NZ, all year UA metal, 77W Nov18-Mar19, 772 Apr19-Oct19 (+newORD-AKL NZ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
27 March 2018
Air New Zealand service between Auckland and Chicago

From Nov. 30, 2018, Air New Zealand will operate three times weekly, year-round service with its new configuration Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft. Flight time will be approximately 15 hours northbound and just over 16 hours southbound. Air New Zealand code share service will be offered on around 100 flights across the U.S. for convenient connections to Auckland via Chicago. United Airlines operates more flights from its hub at O'Hare International Airport than any other airline, with more than 500 flights to 147 airports across the United States.

United expands service between San Francisco and Auckland

Beginning in April 2019, United will extend service between its West Coast hub in San Francisco and Auckland to year-round with three-times-weekly service. In partnership with Air New Zealand, United's flight arriving in Auckland will offer passengers more than 20 connections across the region. The return trip utilizes United's extensive route network in San Francisco, which provides connections to the United States, Canada, and Latin America. United operates more than 290 daily flights from its hub at San Francisco International Airport to 79 airports across the U.S. and 26 international destinations. Tickets for the expanded San Francisco schedule will be available on united.com and airnewzealand.com later this year.

United service between San Francisco and Auckland will operate with a Boeing 777-300ER between November and March and will operate with Boeing 777-200ER aircraft between April and October.
Originally Posted by jimyvr
UA will now fly the 77W on SFO AKL when it resumes operation 29OCT17 - 22MAR18 (from SFO). Overall frequency will be 6 weekly, and increasing to 7 weekly from mid-Dec. UA73/74 is canceled.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...as-of-01sep17/
United Airlines suspends NZ service (Suspension Period: April 18, 2017 - October 30, 2017)

Per New Zealand Herald quoting UA:

This change is in response to seasonal variations, which will also see United Airlines adding an additional three flights per week starting December 18, 2017 after resuming its daily Auckland to San Francisco services on October 31, 2017. This will increase services to a total of 10 United's flights per week during the high seasonal demand period. Passengers who have already purchased tickets during the suspended period are being contacted by the airline and offered flights on the Air New Zealand service instead. We apologise to customers for any inconvenience and advise that customers will not be out of pocket as a result of this shift in scheduling and will retain all frequent flyer benefits."
Print Wikipost

SFO-AKL JV w/NZ, all year UA metal, 77W Nov18-Mar19, 772 Apr19-Oct19 (+newORD-AKL NZ)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Showing a 3 class 777 after the break next year. Is that going to stick? Would rather be in the 787 in J...
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
I've never heard of United purchasing a ticket for someone on another airline because they pulled a route -- seems the preferred option when they cannot reaccomodate is to simply cancel and refund the ticket.
happened to me on an award ticket going ORD-LHR-ATH. Agean for some reason cancelled my leg of the trip from LHR, so UA ended up paying the fare for MUC-ATH on the reroute as the award space was no longer available for LHR-ATH.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:14 am

well, it looks like they are indeed coming back in October, and they've even published 10 flights a week sfo-akl from December 2017: http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...from-dec-2017/

so I guess it is just a very very seasonal route, and UA figures it can do better with its own aircraft elsewhere during the summer season. Nothing wrong with that.
And from my sources, New Zealand is a super seasonal route with a VERY small corporate component. Not huge corporate ties one way or another. Makes sense to allocate resources according to demand, which this action demonstrates.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jasondc
well, it looks like they are indeed coming back in October, and they've even published 10 flights a week sfo-akl from December 2017: http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...from-dec-2017/

so I guess it is just a very very seasonal route, and UA figures it can do better with its own aircraft elsewhere during the summer season. Nothing wrong with that.
And from my sources, New Zealand is a super seasonal route with a VERY small corporate component. Not huge corporate ties one way or another. Makes sense to allocate resources according to demand, which this action demonstrates.
Even with only 3x weekly, there wasn't enough to support it? Kind of a shame...

Either way, do like that they are going 2x daily during peak season. Earlier departure is nicer for folks who are West Coast-based, while the later departure will serve those who have to make the TCON haul first.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Checked my return this morning and the now have the ! modification warning and the flight is gone.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by jasondc

Of course there is no problem just having a seasonal route, if demand is not there year-round. However cancelling previously booked flights for summer 2017 (April - October) shows poor planning IMHO.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Checked my return this morning and the now have the ! modification warning and the flight is gone.
Same on an award ticket in May for me. Debating if I call now or if I wait to see how they shake it out. Really don't want to fly UA to SYD then backtrack to NZ.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by adambadam
Same on an award ticket in May for me. Debating if I call now or if I wait to see how they shake it out. Really don't want to fly UA to SYD then backtrack to NZ.
I called; the agent said an announcement was circulated this morning and that they are actively moving pax over to the NZ flight and to wait a few days for the reservation to reflect the change as they work through it all. I am sure this is bad news for my award ticket+GPU but will wait to see what happens since I don't really have a reasonable alternative. All else failing I'll just ask them to rebook me on the SYD flight, clear the upgrade, and I'll make my way there on my own.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
AKL must just have low premium traffic. NZ configures its 787 with JUST 18 business class seats. United has 48.
NZ 777-200 have just 26 business class seats.

reality for this market United need some planes with a lot of economy seats to compete.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:12 am

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by flybit
AKL must just have low premium traffic. NZ configures its 787 with JUST 18 business class seats. United has 48.

reality for this market United need some planes with a lot of economy seats to compete.
thats only because the first batch of NZ 787 were bought to replace the 767 on the bucket and spade routes like HNL and DPS and PER.

later this year the 789's will be delivered with a less dense higher premium configuration that will allow them to meet North American market demands and open new routes (speculated to be ORD)
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:12 am

Separately, piss poor communication by United on this one. Perhaps have alternative arrangements ready to go when you axe the flight rather than leaving a bunch of folks without any method to finalize new plans.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Separately, piss poor communication by United on this one. Perhaps have alternative arrangements ready to go when you axe the flight rather than leaving a bunch of folks without any method to finalize new plans.
Totally agree.

According to Herald:

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/business/new...ectid=11778240

UA is contacting impacted customers. I have not received any call from them. Seems the plan is moving customers to Air New Zealand flight.

Any thoughts of Air New Zealand in Y (on 772)? Comparable to UA E+? Also wonder what other options available such as stay with UA on a later flight.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having recently flown this route -- where the planes were packed in all classes in both directions -- I was a bit surprised to see it reduced to seasonal.

But the route must be VERY seasonal. For example, biz class was not populated by biz travelers. Rather, they looked like ordinary, affluent couples, families, etc travelling "for the Holidays." From my observations of business in NZ, this does not surprise me: it's a pretty small economy without a lot of big corporate players, so I can easy imagine the difficulty of trying to fill 48 biz class seats on a regular basis. BTW, the pre-Polaris hard product in Business looked terrible: you'd be a fool to pay big money for it (I was in the back).

I'm guessing that "weather" makes NZ very seasonal. Honestly, I wouldn't go there on vacation anytime other than summer. And while I understand that Kiwis love to travel (one stat I read said that 1 in 4 Kiwis travel overseas every year!) there are fewer than 5 million of them. I guess that's not enough to sustain this flight (and, besides, they probably prefer to fly the better ANZ product).
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by iahphx
I guess that's not enough to sustain this flight (and, besides, they probably prefer to fly the better ANZ product).
Read some review of ANZ seats, not getting positive impression:

http://www.airlinequality.com/seat-r...r-new-zealand/
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: NZ Koru

NZ mainly runs the 77W to SFO which has 46 J Seats, and around 50 PE seats.

The 789s aren't used on the North American routes, they are target at the low yielding Asian market.

Originally Posted by wendySFO
Totally agree.
Any thoughts of Air New Zealand in Y (on 772)? Comparable to UA E+? Also wonder what other options available such as stay with UA on a later flight.
AKL-SFO is operated by the 77W, some services can be the 772 but mainly the 77W.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.