Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO-AKL JV w/NZ, all year UA metal, 77W Nov18-Mar19, 772 Apr19-Oct19 (+newORD-AKL NZ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
27 March 2018
Air New Zealand service between Auckland and Chicago

From Nov. 30, 2018, Air New Zealand will operate three times weekly, year-round service with its new configuration Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft. Flight time will be approximately 15 hours northbound and just over 16 hours southbound. Air New Zealand code share service will be offered on around 100 flights across the U.S. for convenient connections to Auckland via Chicago. United Airlines operates more flights from its hub at O'Hare International Airport than any other airline, with more than 500 flights to 147 airports across the United States.

United expands service between San Francisco and Auckland

Beginning in April 2019, United will extend service between its West Coast hub in San Francisco and Auckland to year-round with three-times-weekly service. In partnership with Air New Zealand, United's flight arriving in Auckland will offer passengers more than 20 connections across the region. The return trip utilizes United's extensive route network in San Francisco, which provides connections to the United States, Canada, and Latin America. United operates more than 290 daily flights from its hub at San Francisco International Airport to 79 airports across the U.S. and 26 international destinations. Tickets for the expanded San Francisco schedule will be available on united.com and airnewzealand.com later this year.

United service between San Francisco and Auckland will operate with a Boeing 777-300ER between November and March and will operate with Boeing 777-200ER aircraft between April and October.
Originally Posted by jimyvr
UA will now fly the 77W on SFO AKL when it resumes operation 29OCT17 - 22MAR18 (from SFO). Overall frequency will be 6 weekly, and increasing to 7 weekly from mid-Dec. UA73/74 is canceled.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...as-of-01sep17/
United Airlines suspends NZ service (Suspension Period: April 18, 2017 - October 30, 2017)

Per New Zealand Herald quoting UA:

This change is in response to seasonal variations, which will also see United Airlines adding an additional three flights per week starting December 18, 2017 after resuming its daily Auckland to San Francisco services on October 31, 2017. This will increase services to a total of 10 United's flights per week during the high seasonal demand period. Passengers who have already purchased tickets during the suspended period are being contacted by the airline and offered flights on the Air New Zealand service instead. We apologise to customers for any inconvenience and advise that customers will not be out of pocket as a result of this shift in scheduling and will retain all frequent flyer benefits."
Print Wikipost

SFO-AKL JV w/NZ, all year UA metal, 77W Nov18-Mar19, 772 Apr19-Oct19 (+newORD-AKL NZ)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by wendySFO
Totally agree.

According to Herald:

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/business/new...ectid=11778240

UA is contacting impacted customers. I have not received any call from them. Seems the plan is moving customers to Air New Zealand flight.
Interesting quote: "We apologise to customers for any inconvenience and advise that customers will not be out of pocket as a result of this shift in scheduling and will retain all frequent flyer benefits," the airline said."

Like my confirmed upgrade? This should be an exciting discussion...
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wendySFO
Read some review of ANZ seats, not getting positive impression:

http://www.airlinequality.com/seat-r...r-new-zealand/
Hmmm, I haven't flown long haul on ANZ. but from what I've read, I assumed their coach long haul product was better than the US carriers. (I did just fly them intra-NZ and certainly their domestic lounge certainly whomped the United Club; their int'l lounge was worlds apart). My experience with Qantas is certainly that they offered a better coach product than their US competitors.

As to business class, I presume there's no way it could be worse than UA's pre-Polaris product!

My experience with UA's 777 coach comfort was mixed. Somehow, I seem to wind up on lots of ultra long haul coach flights on various airlines (lucky me). I can sit in just about any coach seat for, say, 5 hours, but seat quality definitely matters at 12 hours. Most of the time, my butt and or back start to hurt me when I go into double digit hours in coach. The older the plane, the more they usually hurt. I assume it has something to do with the seats "wearing out." My UA SFO-AKL coach experience was somewhere in the middle: my butt did hurt, but it's hurt more on other airlines. Who knows. At least I get Economy+ on UA, which is certainly worth "something" across the Pacific.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
NZ coach is arguably worse than UA's 777, but better than the 787:

10-across: cramped++
Noticeably less legroom than E+ (I tested a skycouch row, those are claimed to have the most legroom in the 77W)
Bottom cushion gets uncomfortable fast, UA is more comfortable IME
The NZ headrest is much much better, it can hold my head
Food was a bit bland, UA are usually better
NZ apparently offers snacks and drinks delivered to your seat (I didn't test this)
NZ wine was tasty, our FA recommended the wines
NZ IFE has a bigger selection of films/shows, bigger screen too

The NZ cabin arguably feels nicer/newer/brighter, but those huge seat shells also make it feel slightly claustrophobic (10-across boosts that feeling).
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:55 pm

Anyone else having the worst time with this? Had 2 J seats on UA, Akl-Sfo in late June. Have been on the phone with United for the past five hours. A mileage refund is literally the only thing they're offering.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by 4kos02np
Anyone else having the worst time with this? Had 2 J seats on UA, Akl-Sfo in late June. Have been on the phone with United for the past five hours. A mileage refund is literally the only thing they're offering.
Why are they saying they cannot re-accommodate you in NZ J class?

You should ask for a service director and point them to the claims made publicly by United in the aforementioned article, specifically the commentary that "We apologise to customers for any inconvenience and advise that customers will not be out of pocket as a result of this shift in scheduling and will retain all frequent flyer benefits"

Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Why are they saying they cannot re-accommodate you in NZ J class?

You should ask for a service director and point them to the claims made publicly by United in the aforementioned article, specifically the commentary that "We apologise to customers for any inconvenience and advise that customers will not be out of pocket as a result of this shift in scheduling and will retain all frequent flyer benefits"

Even if he's able to get them to shift him into NZ (which I assume is going to happen), how is he able to force it in J? He's not technically out of pocket unless he paid for J, and UA would theoretically refund the miles down to Y saver levels for the NZ trip. It stinks, and I'd be hopping mad....but is UA required (or even able to) force availability in J here?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by gold23
It stinks, and I'd be hopping mad....but is UA required (or even able to) force availability in J here?
Policy is UA will force I on their own metal. They cannot force I on NZ, and would have to ask nicely or pay for a revenue ticket to push the ticket onto NZ. Schedule changes involving *A options are a pretty bleak situation.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:24 am

So my wife and I were booked on Business Saver rewards from AKL-SFO-DEN, once the schedule cancellation occured I called and was told sorry no options. I told them thats not acceptable so ended up on AKL(NZ)-SYD(UAL)-LAX-DEN business/first. I then read the message about them supposed to start moving people to the ANZ flight from AKL-SFO so called back this morning and was forced on to the NZ flight from AKL-SFO-DEN in business class on the 777-2. I am not sure if thats a better flight vs the 787 from AKL-SYD on NZ then United 787 from SYD-LAX but it saves about 6 hours of flying and connections. I hope this helps.

Last edited by figment7; Jan 9, 2017 at 12:25 pm
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by findark
Policy is UA will force I on their own metal. They cannot force I on NZ, and would have to ask nicely or pay for a revenue ticket to push the ticket onto NZ. Schedule changes involving *A options are a pretty bleak situation.
Withdrawl of service is, I'm told, a bit of a different animal, but I fear you are correct about their positioning.

However, their public comment says that folks are to "retain all frequent flier benefits". I'm not sure how UA weasels out of claiming business class tickets booked through their frequent flier program is not a benefit.

Based on figment7's comment, they *are* in fact accommodating people in business class on NZ (even those on award tickets). Should be interesting...
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by figment7
So my wife and I were booked on Business Saver rewards from AKL-SFO-DEN, once the schedule cancellation occured I called and was told sorry no options. I told them thats not acceptable so ended up on AKL(ANZ)-SYD(UAL)-LAX-DEN business/first. I then read the message about them supposed to start moving people to the ANZ flight from AKL-SFO so called back this morning and was forced on to the ANZ flight from AKL-SFO-DEN in business class on the 777-2. I am not sure if thats a better flight vs the 787 from AKL-SYD on ANZ then United 787 from SYD-LAX but it saves about 6 hours of flying and connections. I hope this helps.
Really helpful to hear. We also were finally rebooked last night, after a lot of being told 'sorry, refunds only.' Original itinerary was AKL-SFO (J), then SFO-DEN (Y). Rebooked itinerary is AKL-SYD (Y), SYD-SFO (J), and SFO-DEN (J). All UA metal; throughout the experience they said they couldn't do anything with ANZ seats for rebooking award tickets - no availability given to them by ANZ. However, given your experience this morning in getting the ANZ flights, I'm tempted to call in about it. Although I don't want to tempt fate and create another unforeseen problem for myself, nor do I want to go through 5 hours of hold music again :/
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by figment7
So my wife and I were booked on Business Saver rewards from AKL-SFO-DEN, once the schedule cancellation occured I called and was told sorry no options. I told them thats not acceptable so ended up on AKL(ANZ)-SYD(UAL)-LAX-DEN business/first. I then read the message about them supposed to start moving people to the ANZ flight from AKL-SFO so called back this morning and was forced on to the ANZ flight from AKL-SFO-DEN in business class on the 777-2. I am not sure if thats a better flight vs the 787 from AKL-SYD on ANZ then United 787 from SYD-LAX but it saves about 6 hours of flying and connections. I hope this helps.
I'm shocked. I'm booked Business Saver as well and got seasonalled and expected UA to not allow moves to NZ I unless you're a GS or similar.

I guess I'll call this week ... put on a pot of coffee before calling.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K
This is all encouraging. I guess UA's policy on this is....squeaky wheels get the grease, downgrade everyone else.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Withdrawl of service is, I'm told, a bit of a different animal, but I fear you are correct about their positioning.

However, their public comment says that folks are to "retain all frequent flier benefits". I'm not sure how UA weasels out of claiming business class tickets booked through their frequent flier program is not a benefit.

Based on figment7's comment, they *are* in fact accommodating people in business class on NZ (even those on award tickets). Should be interesting...
Agree.. the significant number of pax affected might lead to a bigger effort, but wholesale pushing of award tickets to NZ would probably require some sort of agreement between high level management at UA and NZ. Very impressive to see figment7 put in NZ J. The NZ Y to Australia and then UA metal home would be the sort of reaccommodation I would be expecting.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Looking for advice before I call as I may be taking a double hit here. Right now I am seeing the message to call so I have not been automatically rebooked yet. I like to be proactive and have a plan I want to propose instead of taking what they offer.

I booked a J saver award ALK-SFO in July a few months ago. I'm using Alaska miles and QANTAS to get to SYD, so just booked the one way back from AKL and was going to figure out a Tasman Sea hop later. I also could not find availability all the way home to DTW, so ended up booking a paid F ticket just last week for the 8:30 SFO-DTW nonstop. I knew there was a risk with two tickets, but figured with both on UA metal and buying F would help (especially as it was cheaper than DL Y several hours later). Lets throw in more confusion since I actually used US Bank Flex Perks to book the SFO-DTW segment ($581 or 30K miles).

Now I don't really care about where I connect or even where I leave NZ from. I was planning on focusing on the south island anyway, so I would not be opposed to flying from CHC or another airport instead if it keeps me in J and avoids backtracking. I also don't care about the SFO connection point if I can reuse the paid ticket, or get a refund/voucher. I'm about to start searching now, but any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Summary:
Had: July 17. UA916 ALK-SFO (Cancelled) + UA471 SFO-DTW (Paid P fare).

Need: July 17, Anywhere in NZ to DTW in Business.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:14 pm

I was running into the same issues as everyone else (ie hold times insane and unwilling to put on NZ flights). I finally called probably for the 5th time since the weekend at 4am CT and got right though to an agent and asked to speak with a supervisor telling them an additional 7 hours flying or connecting because they decided to cancel service was not reasonable accommodation. She had to push some things or override some things not sure what that means but was able to get me on the NZ flight from AKL-SFO like I had originally booked. Looking at the seat map on my NZ flight it appears they are rebooking people since this morning on my specific flight for a Monday in October, 3 seats have already been taken since this morning and I can't imagine that many people just happening to book that flight without the United snafu.

Last edited by figment7; Jan 9, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.