Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO-AKL JV w/NZ, all year UA metal, 77W Nov18-Mar19, 772 Apr19-Oct19 (+newORD-AKL NZ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
27 March 2018
Air New Zealand service between Auckland and Chicago

From Nov. 30, 2018, Air New Zealand will operate three times weekly, year-round service with its new configuration Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft. Flight time will be approximately 15 hours northbound and just over 16 hours southbound. Air New Zealand code share service will be offered on around 100 flights across the U.S. for convenient connections to Auckland via Chicago. United Airlines operates more flights from its hub at O'Hare International Airport than any other airline, with more than 500 flights to 147 airports across the United States.

United expands service between San Francisco and Auckland

Beginning in April 2019, United will extend service between its West Coast hub in San Francisco and Auckland to year-round with three-times-weekly service. In partnership with Air New Zealand, United's flight arriving in Auckland will offer passengers more than 20 connections across the region. The return trip utilizes United's extensive route network in San Francisco, which provides connections to the United States, Canada, and Latin America. United operates more than 290 daily flights from its hub at San Francisco International Airport to 79 airports across the U.S. and 26 international destinations. Tickets for the expanded San Francisco schedule will be available on united.com and airnewzealand.com later this year.

United service between San Francisco and Auckland will operate with a Boeing 777-300ER between November and March and will operate with Boeing 777-200ER aircraft between April and October.
Originally Posted by jimyvr
UA will now fly the 77W on SFO AKL when it resumes operation 29OCT17 - 22MAR18 (from SFO). Overall frequency will be 6 weekly, and increasing to 7 weekly from mid-Dec. UA73/74 is canceled.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...as-of-01sep17/
United Airlines suspends NZ service (Suspension Period: April 18, 2017 - October 30, 2017)

Per New Zealand Herald quoting UA:

This change is in response to seasonal variations, which will also see United Airlines adding an additional three flights per week starting December 18, 2017 after resuming its daily Auckland to San Francisco services on October 31, 2017. This will increase services to a total of 10 United's flights per week during the high seasonal demand period. Passengers who have already purchased tickets during the suspended period are being contacted by the airline and offered flights on the Air New Zealand service instead. We apologise to customers for any inconvenience and advise that customers will not be out of pocket as a result of this shift in scheduling and will retain all frequent flyer benefits."
Print Wikipost

SFO-AKL JV w/NZ, all year UA metal, 77W Nov18-Mar19, 772 Apr19-Oct19 (+newORD-AKL NZ)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I have flights in April which both appear to be on a 787-900. I'm going to keep an eagle eye on them, just to make sure I don't get switched to the center devil's coffin seats on a 777-200.
Just to be precise, it's the 787-9 (and the other variants are 787-8 and 787-10).
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Just completed 917 SFO-AKL in C. Love the route and the plane, but I have to say this was the worst intl cabin crew I've had in a long time. Attitude was fine, but they were just struggling to get things done when it was time to get things done and then disappeared into the galley aka pmCO FA lounge to make noise for the rest of the flight.

<rant>

-First drink service 1.5 hrs into flight
-FAs didn't know what wine they had and served the whites warm
-Wine refilled once during dinner (after having to ask and then the guy forgetting about it for another 10 min) and then empty wine glass was left at my seat until I pointed it out at breakfast time
-Meal requests taken front to back
-First towel service cold, second sopping wet and thus useless
-Purser was a very quirky dude, nice enough but he had a real hard time getting through the announcements...

+The coffee was pretty good and served hot! Gotta say something positive...

</rant>
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM
Originally Posted by eflyte
Just completed 917 SFO-AKL in C. Love the route and the plane, but I have to say this was the worst intl cabin crew I've had in a long time. Attitude was fine, but they were just struggling to get things done when it was time to get things done and then disappeared into the galley aka pmCO FA lounge to make noise for the rest of the flight.

<rant>

-Wine refilled once during dinner (after having to ask and then the guy forgetting about it for another 10 min) and then empty wine glass was left at my seat until I pointed it out at breakfast time
-Purser was a very quirky dude, nice enough but he had a real hard time getting through the announcements...

</rant>
Had the same experience on my flight down to Auckland a couple of weeks ago (equipment switch to 787-9). The return flight however was one of the best I've had internationally in a long time - awesome service, food was great and they had a couple of good NZ wines!
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
👍🏼 maybe something to look forward to! OT, but I feel like flights inbound to the US almost always have better service...FAs in a better mood heading home?

The Marlborough Savignon Blanc they were serving on my outbound was actually a really interesting example, but the off temperature made it hard to enjoy.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive

<rant>

</rant>
Glad the FAs had a good attitude for your flight. After a few 787 flights up front with PMCO crew to Asia from the west coast I now avoid those flights due to service and attitude. The service is not nearly as efficient, refined and friendly than what I had on flights to the Pacific in the past before the 787s. United really needs to have higher standards for service. They can put in new hard products, but without decent FA service people will choose other airlines. Hopefully with the new FA contract, PMUA FAs will be back across the Pacific more, and I will try United again on the 787. A flight to AKL is too long to just have FAs disappear for long periods to chat as service is not good. I used to love to fly UAto AKL in the 1990s. Hopefully they improve!
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Running 777-200s to AKL (from SFO) in Nov-late March

The 788-800s will cease in November and 787-900 will return in late March '17. This came from the flight director on an AKL - SFO flight ten days ago.
The rumor is that Polaris might appear on the planes then. I would not count on it. United refits cannot be highly dependable. However, the 900 series flight would be a nice flight. I go in early March and will take Air NZ or else upgrade on the 777-200 on United to Global First. The latter is no better than Air NZ Premier Business. The 777-200 in the 2-4-2 configuration is horrible. Add in United service (C-) and it is a loser choice.

The pricing on Air NZ has been volatile since United has come in to compete. They actually can fix prices if they choose to in the coordinated marketing effort.

Expect them to continue to be chaotic in pricing. I do some work for Air NZ and they said both airlines are experimenting with pricing. The flights I was on in September had tons of Bus class seats left even two days prior to departure. The one going down out of SFO on the 4th filled up because some other flight got cancelled and Bus class people moved onto that flight.
Coming back north on the 18th, it must have been a bunch of people on upgrade lists, which were long. So, no empty seats there.
The Bus Class FA's on the 18th from AKL to SFO were superb! Really! On the 4th they had been efficient and unfriendly and also disappeared for long periods of time. Two completely different experiences!

I will wait until Sept-Oct 2017 to try United Dreamliners again and then only to get over the hump to Million Miler Status. Air NZ is far better.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Purser was a very quirky dude, nice enough but he had a real hard time getting through the announcements...
Likely caught this very crew going back the other way. This mentioned description of purser was the dead giveaway.
Didn't share your overall experience though, and found it to be rather pleasant, and the crew seemed to be trying their best (at least in a CO/UA sort of way).

Will likely be on this route a few times in the next few months, and SUPER glad AKL is now easily accessible from PEK (Air China) and SFO, and without having to rely so heavily on AirNZ anymore.
Also, can finally use GPU to get to New Zealand.

Thanks for the heads-up on the plane change in March 2017 and the info on the interim 777-200 use.

Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:14 pm

<rant>

</rant>
The lead FA on sub CO intl flights are called ISMs (intl service manager)
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by VACav
The 788-800s will cease in November and 787-900 will return in late March '17. This came from the flight director on an AKL - SFO flight ten days ago.
The rumor is that Polaris might appear on the planes then. I would not count on it. United refits cannot be highly dependable. However, the 900 series flight would be a nice flight. I go in early March and will take Air NZ or else upgrade on the 777-200 on United to Global First. The latter is no better than Air NZ Premier Business. The 777-200 in the 2-4-2 configuration is horrible. Add in United service (C-) and it is a loser choice.

The pricing on Air NZ has been volatile since United has come in to compete. They actually can fix prices if they choose to in the coordinated marketing effort.

Expect them to continue to be chaotic in pricing. I do some work for Air NZ and they said both airlines are experimenting with pricing. The flights I was on in September had tons of Bus class seats left even two days prior to departure. The one going down out of SFO on the 4th filled up because some other flight got cancelled and Bus class people moved onto that flight.
Coming back north on the 18th, it must have been a bunch of people on upgrade lists, which were long. So, no empty seats there.
The Bus Class FA's on the 18th from AKL to SFO were superb! Really! On the 4th they had been efficient and unfriendly and also disappeared for long periods of time. Two completely different experiences!

I will wait until Sept-Oct 2017 to try United Dreamliners again and then only to get over the hump to Million Miler Status. Air NZ is far better.
The 789s won't be getting polaris seats.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Yeah, I just read that in another thread. Rather disappointing.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Yeah, I just read that in another thread. Rather disappointing.
Nothing confirmed but AKL may see the 77W at some point in time maybe even the intl 772s, 787-10s and 350s all of which will be equipped with polaris seats.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:37 pm

Oh, okay; thanks for that additional info.

Unfortunately, with my luck, SFO-AKL will likely get Polaris seats at the EXACT time when I cut back my travel to NZ!
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
What's the justification for this?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: None - previously UA
NZ C vs 772 UA F

I have an award booked in New Zealand I class, I have noticed UA opening up F a few days out. Since it's the same number of points (80K) is that a change anyone would recommend or would I be better just sticking with NZ? I haven't flown either cabin before.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by VACav
The 788-800s will cease in November and 787-900 will return in late March '17.
The proper nomenclature is 787-8 and 787-9. The 787-10 has yet to be produced, but are on order to join the UA fleet in a few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.