Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO-AKL JV w/NZ, all year UA metal, 77W Nov18-Mar19, 772 Apr19-Oct19 (+newORD-AKL NZ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
27 March 2018
Air New Zealand service between Auckland and Chicago

From Nov. 30, 2018, Air New Zealand will operate three times weekly, year-round service with its new configuration Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft. Flight time will be approximately 15 hours northbound and just over 16 hours southbound. Air New Zealand code share service will be offered on around 100 flights across the U.S. for convenient connections to Auckland via Chicago. United Airlines operates more flights from its hub at O'Hare International Airport than any other airline, with more than 500 flights to 147 airports across the United States.

United expands service between San Francisco and Auckland

Beginning in April 2019, United will extend service between its West Coast hub in San Francisco and Auckland to year-round with three-times-weekly service. In partnership with Air New Zealand, United's flight arriving in Auckland will offer passengers more than 20 connections across the region. The return trip utilizes United's extensive route network in San Francisco, which provides connections to the United States, Canada, and Latin America. United operates more than 290 daily flights from its hub at San Francisco International Airport to 79 airports across the U.S. and 26 international destinations. Tickets for the expanded San Francisco schedule will be available on united.com and airnewzealand.com later this year.

United service between San Francisco and Auckland will operate with a Boeing 777-300ER between November and March and will operate with Boeing 777-200ER aircraft between April and October.
Originally Posted by jimyvr
UA will now fly the 77W on SFO AKL when it resumes operation 29OCT17 - 22MAR18 (from SFO). Overall frequency will be 6 weekly, and increasing to 7 weekly from mid-Dec. UA73/74 is canceled.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...as-of-01sep17/
United Airlines suspends NZ service (Suspension Period: April 18, 2017 - October 30, 2017)

Per New Zealand Herald quoting UA:

This change is in response to seasonal variations, which will also see United Airlines adding an additional three flights per week starting December 18, 2017 after resuming its daily Auckland to San Francisco services on October 31, 2017. This will increase services to a total of 10 United's flights per week during the high seasonal demand period. Passengers who have already purchased tickets during the suspended period are being contacted by the airline and offered flights on the Air New Zealand service instead. We apologise to customers for any inconvenience and advise that customers will not be out of pocket as a result of this shift in scheduling and will retain all frequent flyer benefits."
Print Wikipost

SFO-AKL JV w/NZ, all year UA metal, 77W Nov18-Mar19, 772 Apr19-Oct19 (+newORD-AKL NZ)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by realdeal211;26938850I
am wondering if this has something to do with the Polaris rollout? Can anyone shed light on this?
Fleet planning. Could be any number of factors, most likely (i) they need the 789 elsewhere, or (ii) they need more Y capacity on this route.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Air NZ has been decent about opening up seats in J on their SFO/LAX/IAH flights as of late. Usually this is happening 45-90 days before departure.
Watch also for UA GF. That's not a bad redemption given the length of the flight.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: UA, AA
I would like to ask two questions:

1. On the return flight from AKL to SFO, what check-in facilities will United premier passengers use? (It would be great if it is Air NZ Premier Check-In Lounge)

2. What Lounge access will we have when departing from AKL? (Again, Air NZ Koru Lounge for Bus Class passengers and/or Star Alliance Gold members would be great)

Thanks!

If UA is watching this, it would be great if you posted something online about this in addition to responding to these questions.

I will be flying down there in early September to return in mid-September.

Second Question: What is UA doing in the Bus Class pricing. They just had a two week sale and the prices jumped around by huge amounts daily. I was about to book one itinerary in Bus Class and they jumped it up by 80% only three days into the sale period. This is life with United!
By the way, my preferred carrier is Air NZ which has also bounced around the pricing. (I am flying United to finally get enough miles flown on United metal to qualify for Million Miler status. I go twice a year and should be able to attain that in the next four trips. If it were on the 777-200's in B Class I would not do it because the seating is cattle class in Bus. I read that the Dreamliner experience is much better and has more personal space, if not the level of the herringbone design seats on Air NZ in Bus Class. American's new 777 Bus Class configuration is getting great reviews. United needs to catch up or fail. The Dreamliner is an experiment for me.)

American entered and so did United and the fares when first offered (until two weeks ago) went way up from the past. That is competition?
I was able to book Business First from IAD-SFO-AKL-SFO-IAD for US5,900, but with lots of work and using Google/flights alerts to keep up with the craziness in pricing. Some days it was as much as 10,000!
My 5,900 fare went away in two days, by the way and is now 6,900.

By the way, the cabins in Business are still more than half empty and they are jacking around with prices anyway. My departure was only 8 weeks ahead when I booked it. That is not much lead time for these flights normally.

One heads up: use SeatGuru.com to check on seats. In the new Dreamliner 2-2-2 set up in Bus First, the middle seats are the best if you are traveling alone because both seats have aisle access. On the out pairs you either climb over someone or they climb over you. However, in the 787-800 (being used until October when they go to the -900) the first two rows in the middle pair in the front cabin have very limited (meaning zero) overhead storage due to crew storage (and possibly the pilots sleeping area extends over those rows). The first row in each of the two cabins have food service noise and lights and bathroom traffic. The last row in the first cabin has the same problem. That leaves very few middle seats that are good, even though aisle access is ideal. The early reservations seem to have been made oblivious to that fact. Some of the outer seats might be booked by couples, but I would not want a middle of the night climb anyway.

Last edited by goalie; Jul 20, 2016 at 10:56 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by VACav
.... 1. On the return flight from AKL to SFO, what check-in facilities will United premier passengers use? (It would be great if it is Air NZ Premier Check-In Lounge) ...
It is a UA flight so check will need to be done with UA agents or a desk labeled for UA checkin by staffed by NZ personnel trained to do UA checkin. This is standard practice for UA at hubs of it partners. Such as FRA

.... 2. What Lounge access will we have when departing from AKL? (Again, Air NZ Koru Lounge for Bus Class passengers and/or Star Alliance Gold members would be great) ...
Standard *A practice is all business class passenger departing on a *A flight (including UA) will have access to any *A business class lounge at the airport. Similarly all *G will have access to at least the *A business class lounge at the airport

Thanks!

....If UA is watching this, it would be great if you posted something online about this in addition to responding to these questions. ...
Generally UA does not response to such questions on FT and there is no particular reason for UA to post uniquely on there site about AKL flights as this issue are handle in essentially the same way at all non-domestic airports.

....What is UA doing in the Bus Class pricing. ...
You answered your own question

.... my preferred carrier is Air NZ which has also bounced around the pricing. ...
New routes, new competition -- prices will bounce around and have sales, sales end.

.... One heads up: use SeatGuru.com to check on seats. ...
You might find also useful

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-787-8-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-787-9-a.html
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: NZ Koru

1. On the return flight from AKL to SFO, what check-in facilities will United premier passengers use? (It would be great if it is Air NZ Premier Check-In Lounge)

NZ's Premium Check-in Lobby is currently closed for re-furbishment. NZ's check-in zones wouldn't be compatible with UA systems, NZ's check-in in fully automated and uses there own in house software to run the equipment e.g. even the bag drops are self service, and they have removed all the normal counters and everyone has to self-check!

Looking at AKL's website UA916 is using Check-In Zone C, NZ uses Zone A (Which is exclusively assigned to NZ), Zone B is Virgin Australia. Zone C is an general by the hour counter zone.

2. What Lounge access will we have when departing from AKL? (Again, Air NZ Koru Lounge for Bus Class passengers and/or Star Alliance Gold members would be great)
Lounge wise you'll get access to the new Air New Zealand lounge that opened in late 2015. It's based on the LAX *A Lounge (which NZ runs), its pretty good always has 4 hot food options, and during meal time will have chief making an extra made to order dish.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/photo-tour-air-new-zealand-s-new-auckland-flagship-lounge
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: United, Alaska, Southwest
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Standard *A practice is all business class passenger departing on a *A flight (including UA) will have access to any *A business class lounge at the airport. Similarly all *G will have access to at least the *A business class lounge at the airport
I'm investigating this for an upcoming trip with my family (4 total) in United BusinessFirst from SFO-AKL. I'm also a United Club member. According to the Air NZ website it sounds like we would not be allowed access:

From http://www.airnewzealand.com/koru-lounge-directory
Members and their guest must be departing on an eligible Air New Zealand issued ticket and operated flight, on an eligible Virgin Australia flight (see below), a flight operated by Cathay Pacific with an Air New Zealand flight number between Auckland and Hong Kong, or a Singapore Airlines flight from Auckland or Christchurch with an Air New Zealand flight number (for travel from 6 January 2015).
Lounge access is available immediately prior to departure only.
Lounge access is not available to Koru members when travelling on a flight operated by another Star Alliance carrier as the Koru programme is not a Star Alliance product.
I certainly hope it's true that we can use that lounge after all. I also find it odd that the United Club site does not show any partner or *A lounges in AKL.

Can anyone confirm they were admitted recently to the new International lounge in AKL based on having a United Biz1st ticket or United Club card?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, Jason Knapp

Originally Posted by Jason Knapp
I'm investigating this for an upcoming trip with my family (4 total) in United BusinessFirst from SFO-AKL. I'm also a United Club member. According to the Air NZ website it sounds like we would not be allowed access:...
As the UA flight is new, the NZ site may not yet be updated. Star Alliance rules require the departure to be on a Star Alliance flight (hence comments on the NZ site).

....I also find it odd that the United Club site does not show any partner or *A lounges in AKL. ...
That is not odd, the UA site does not show any Star Alliance partner lounges, only 3rd party lounges. Instead it refers you to the Star Alliance site.

Per the Star Alliance Lounge Finder Business UA passenger or *G on UA flights do have access to the NZ International Lounge of the 2nd floor. This is standard *A rules to determine locations and access.

Business class UA customers will have access to the NZ lounge. Same for *Gs and UC members (with *A departure BP).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 25, 2016 at 7:24 pm Reason: Welcome
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
I'm investigating this for an upcoming trip with my family (4 total) in United BusinessFirst from SFO-AKL. I'm also a United Club member. According to the Air NZ website it sounds like we would not be allowed access:

I certainly hope it's true that we can use that lounge after all. I also find it odd that the United Club site does not show any partner or *A lounges in AKL.

Can anyone confirm they were admitted recently to the new International lounge in AKL based on having a United Biz1st ticket or United Club card?
I *think* that page is for Air NZ's Koru lounge program (similar to the UC program, which gives you access to UC's only?). The NZ lounges also count as star-alliance lounges so you should get access based on just the BF ticket.

The *A lounge finder agrees with me, there's an Air NZ *A lounge in AKL.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: United, Alaska, Southwest
Thanks both of you. yes, using that search tool (which I missed before) I do see that the lounge comes up. Great!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: UA, AA
You probably can get in the Koru Lounge with your United Club membership

I got in mid-March with my *A Gold card.
United Club membership ought to work too.
My guess is that United has set it up for their Biz passengers to use the Koru Star Alliance Lounge as well.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Anyone finding Saver Awards on this flight?

Or able to upgrade with miles and copay?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
I got in mid-March with my *A Gold card.
United Club membership ought to work too.
According to the *A lounge finder, the United Club card gives you access to the NZ Koru lounge.
My guess is that United has set it up for their Biz passengers to use the Koru Star Alliance Lounge as well.
Yes.

Last edited by goalie; Jul 31, 2016 at 11:40 am Reason: please quote the member's name when quoting multiple parts of their post
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: UAMP Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold

If it were on the 777-200's in B Class I would not do it because the seating is cattle class in Bus. I read that the Dreamliner experience is much better and has more personal space, if not the level of the herringbone design seats on Air NZ in Bus Class. American's new 777 Bus Class configuration is getting great reviews. United needs to catch up or fail. The Dreamliner is an experiment for me.)
Be careful. I am booked SFO-AKL-SFO flights on December 14th and December 29th and both flights have been changed from Boeing 787-9's to Boeing 777-200's (I lost my bulkhead on both flights in the process). Maybe this is just a temporary change but keep a close eye on the equipment!

Last edited by goalie; Jul 31, 2016 at 4:11 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Switch from the 787 to 777-200??

Booked flights in January to go to AKL on the 787, had seats 1K and L, now, checking my booking, I see they've switched to the 777-200. Is there any chance they will switch back? We're moved to row 7 aisle and window.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM
Not until Mar 30 2017

30MAR17 – 29JUN17 Boeing 787-9 operates daily (787-9 service commences on 28FEB17)

eff 30JUN17 3 of 7 weekly flights operates with 787-8, replacing -9 (Day 357 from SFO, Day 257 from AKL)
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM
End of this month upgraded with miles/co-pay

Last edited by mikeyf; Jul 31, 2016 at 11:16 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.