Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1394369-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-dreamliner-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF

related thread - Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Now that the 787-9 is in service I figure it is time to put together the master thread about seats and such. I was on the inaugural yesterday writing for Airways News as a guest of UA so I got a bit of time to explore the 787-9 before all the other passengers came on board. And I snapped a lot of photos. I've included some here in hopes that it helps people make decisions about where they want to sit.

BusinessFirst
Not much different from the -8 version. There are still (at least) three different foot-well layouts/sizes. Choose wisely based on your needs.

I still prefer the bulkhead in the second cabin on the starboard side but I can understand that others might have other preferences.

Also, no windows at row 4.

And limited overhead storage in the center at row 1 due to pilot rest bunks but given the new Sky Interior bins I'd be shocked if that's really a problem.

Not particularly related to seat quality but there are new controls for the recline and the IFE. I really like the new IFE controller; you can watch the moving map on it and a movie on the main screen.

EconomyPlus
Bulkhead rows are still my favorite. Every seat has power (not just 2 plugs per 3 seats) and good legroom.

The center 3 seats also has an adjustable armrest for the D/E pair. Might be useful to some.

Exit Row @ 3L/R
The A/L seats at row 27 are not marked as E+ from what I've seen. There is the door slide and no window but I think these are probably the best "free" seats on the plane.

Economy
The crew bunks in the pack start at row 39 which cuts that overhead space out.

Also, no window at row 38.

I forgot to mention...

The new economy seats are different. They are the articulating seat so the bottom pan slides forward a bit when you recline. You can see it a bit in this photo:

Everything else looked pretty normal from what I recall. I have more photos so if there are any questions just ask and I'll try to get an answer or a photo showing what's going on.

Links above go to the stories I've written about the plane on two different commercial websites. FT rules require disclosure of such.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 24, 2014 at 4:28 am Reason: retitled thread to match existing ones for consistency
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
BusinessFirst
Not much different from the -8 version. There are still (at least) three different foot-well layouts/sizes. Choose wisely based on your needs.
Would you be able to explain which of the three foot-wells are where?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, EVA Infinity Mileage Lands, Alaska mileage plan
If the exit rows are not marked E+ UA will fix that soon.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks Seth, very helpful report. Did you try out the Y seat?

Originally Posted by mdobbins
Would you be able to explain which of the three foot-wells are where?
My guess is window, aisle, bulkhead (from L to R). Window having the smallest footwell.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1066 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

The smaller foot-well is in the A, E and L seats.

There are two different sizes for the bulkheads, too, but they are much more similar to each other and both are significantly wider than the other rows.

I sat briefly in a coach seat. Other than articulating I didn't notice a difference but it was a short stint.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for reporting, smb12! ^

Re the BF footwell I'd be interest to learn which seats have the smallest footwell, e.g. the one shown on the left of your 3 pix.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1066 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by CharlieA
It is just the A/L seats not marked. The other 7 are definitely E+ on the seat maps. I suppose we'll see what happens.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by CharlieA
I'm on MEL-LAX on oct 31 on the 787-9 and yes, the exit rows are indeed E+ on the seatmap..

Hmm in 16A (Bulkhead window..) wonder if I should move to exit row (Waitlisted for UG)

EDIT: Just seen we have been downgauged to a 787-8 (UA99 on Oct31)

Last edited by cyclogenesis; Sep 23, 2014 at 11:29 am
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Re the BF footwell I'd be interest to learn which seats have the smallest footwell, e.g. the one shown on the left of your 3 pix.
That photo was taken from 8L. I believe all A, E and L seats except for the bulkhead are that layout.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That photo was taken from 8L. I believe all A, E and L seats except for the bulkhead are that layout.
Thanks, with the E seat being the middle seat on the right aisle (facing forward)?

What seats are like the footwell shown in the middle picture?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, with the E seat being the middle seat on the right aisle (facing forward)?
Correct.

What seats are like the footwell shown in the middle picture?
The other three "columns" on board. :-:
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Correct.

The other three "columns" on board. :-:
Sorry if I'm being dense - is your op implying that the crew rests are actually above the cabin (hence no over head bins)? Or is there some other explanation for having no overhead bins at the crew rest areas?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 5:15 am

nice report, thanks ... but red text on a dark background can be difficult to read.

-David
Old Nov 29, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Platinum
Have LAX-MEL booked for next year and my GPU's cleared. Currently have 1 K and L booked. Will these seats both have the larger foot wells? We were on the 787-8 last month and had 4 K and L, love those seats. Both had nice sized foot wells and there was a nice sized shelf in front of the seats that were very handy while in flight. Will the seats on the 787-9 be as comfortable? We could change to row 6 if they are better then row 1.
Thanks, Molly

Last edited by Mollyann500; Nov 29, 2014 at 3:59 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Mollyann500
Have LAX-MEL booked for next year and my GPU's cleared. Currently have 1 K and L booked. Will these seats both have the larger foot wells? We were on the 787-8 last month and had 4 K and L, love those seats. Both had nice sized foot wells and there was a nice sized shelf in front of the seats that were very handy while in flight. Will the seats on the 787-9 be as comfortable? We could change to row 6 if they are better then row 1.
Thanks, Molly
Yes they'll have big foot wells. Think no difference between 1 and 6

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.