Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO-AKL JV w/NZ, all year UA metal, 77W Nov18-Mar19, 772 Apr19-Oct19 (+newORD-AKL NZ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
27 March 2018
Air New Zealand service between Auckland and Chicago

From Nov. 30, 2018, Air New Zealand will operate three times weekly, year-round service with its new configuration Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft. Flight time will be approximately 15 hours northbound and just over 16 hours southbound. Air New Zealand code share service will be offered on around 100 flights across the U.S. for convenient connections to Auckland via Chicago. United Airlines operates more flights from its hub at O'Hare International Airport than any other airline, with more than 500 flights to 147 airports across the United States.

United expands service between San Francisco and Auckland

Beginning in April 2019, United will extend service between its West Coast hub in San Francisco and Auckland to year-round with three-times-weekly service. In partnership with Air New Zealand, United's flight arriving in Auckland will offer passengers more than 20 connections across the region. The return trip utilizes United's extensive route network in San Francisco, which provides connections to the United States, Canada, and Latin America. United operates more than 290 daily flights from its hub at San Francisco International Airport to 79 airports across the U.S. and 26 international destinations. Tickets for the expanded San Francisco schedule will be available on united.com and airnewzealand.com later this year.

United service between San Francisco and Auckland will operate with a Boeing 777-300ER between November and March and will operate with Boeing 777-200ER aircraft between April and October.
Originally Posted by jimyvr
UA will now fly the 77W on SFO AKL when it resumes operation 29OCT17 - 22MAR18 (from SFO). Overall frequency will be 6 weekly, and increasing to 7 weekly from mid-Dec. UA73/74 is canceled.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...as-of-01sep17/
United Airlines suspends NZ service (Suspension Period: April 18, 2017 - October 30, 2017)

Per New Zealand Herald quoting UA:

This change is in response to seasonal variations, which will also see United Airlines adding an additional three flights per week starting December 18, 2017 after resuming its daily Auckland to San Francisco services on October 31, 2017. This will increase services to a total of 10 United's flights per week during the high seasonal demand period. Passengers who have already purchased tickets during the suspended period are being contacted by the airline and offered flights on the Air New Zealand service instead. We apologise to customers for any inconvenience and advise that customers will not be out of pocket as a result of this shift in scheduling and will retain all frequent flyer benefits."
Print Wikipost

SFO-AKL JV w/NZ, all year UA metal, 77W Nov18-Mar19, 772 Apr19-Oct19 (+newORD-AKL NZ)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Agree.. the significant number of pax affected might lead to a bigger effort, but wholesale pushing of award tickets to NZ would probably require some sort of agreement between high level management at UA and NZ. Very impressive to see figment7 put in NZ J. The NZ Y to Australia and then UA metal home would be the sort of reaccommodation I would be expecting.
I think figment7 got a great reaccommodation, hopefully others can also. After reading that result, I called UA just now to see if I could get J on ANZ akl-sfo direct, instead of rerouting through Aus. I cited the UA statement about how ticketed passengers would be accommodated on ANZ. Still no dice. At this point I'm just glad to be able to keep any kind of reasonable J booking for that travel date.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:21 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by 4kos02np
I think figment7 got a great reaccommodation, hopefully others can also. After reading that result, I called UA just now to see if I could get J on ANZ akl-sfo direct, instead of rerouting through Aus. I cited the UA statement about how ticketed passengers would be accommodated on ANZ. Still no dice. At this point I'm just glad to be able to keep any kind of reasonable J booking for that travel date.
Thanks at first I was willing to accept it since they had me still in business for the long haul, but I figured I would try today once the madness in the east coast calmed down. The agent did say it depends on the supervisor you get as far as how much out of the way they will help. They also said they got new rules or guidelines to handle this specific situation. Sorry everyone wasn't helped out as much as I was. I did lose flying on the dreamliner!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Seems like it could be more expensive to put customers in NZ premium cabins than to actually run the flight.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Seems like it could be more expensive to put customers in NZ premium cabins than to actually run the flight.
I was thinking the same thing, watch once UAL realizes how much they have to pay NZ for the business seats they will keep service year round and we will have to "rebook"!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by figment7
I was thinking the same thing, watch once UAL realizes how much they have to pay NZ for the business seats they will keep service year round and we will have to "rebook"!
So I wonder if there was an agreement in place prior to this occurring.... If I were NZ, I would love the fact that UA was exiting the route for a while. It certainly has $ value to NZ. Maybe some type of agreement to accomodate UA passengers in a way that softens the blow to UA?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
... The agent did say it depends on the supervisor you get as far as how much out of the way they will help. They also said they got new rules or guidelines to handle this specific situation ...
I believe what an agent tells me about as much as I believe in the Easter Bunny
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by gold23
So I wonder if there was an agreement in place prior to this occurring.... If I were NZ, I would love the fact that UA was exiting the route for a while. It certainly has $ value to NZ. Maybe some type of agreement to accomodate UA passengers in a way that softens the blow to UA?
They absolutely did as part of the interlining agreement. UA would know exactly how much it would cost them to buy NZ tickets (and it isn't the public rates).
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 4kos02np
Obviously, getting reaccommodated on NZ is a fantastic outcome. If that does not happen, though, I honestly don't think getting your money back is a terrible outcome. The pre-Polaris biz class set up on the 777 is bad. Truthfully, you should not have booked it; it's simply not worth whatever you paid for it. From my economy plus seat, I just had to stare at a bunch of biz class pax facing backwards for 12 hours in their cramped seats. I felt very sorry for them. That is not "modern" business class. Obviously, many people agree as they're spending tens of millions of dollars to reconfigure it. Use your miles somewhere when they get the new seats.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
The pre-Polaris biz class set up on the 777 is bad. Truthfully, you should not have booked it; it's simply not worth whatever you paid for it.
SYD-SFO on UA is the 787 Dreamliner in J. Not upset about that at all.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Has anyone actually had UA reach out to them proactively?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
So my wife and I were booked on Business Saver rewards from AKL-SFO-DEN, once the schedule cancellation occured I called and was told sorry no options. I told them thats not acceptable so ended up on AKL(NZ)-SYD(UAL)-LAX-DEN business/first. I then read the message about them supposed to start moving people to the ANZ flight from AKL-SFO so called back this morning and was forced on to the NZ flight from AKL-SFO-DEN in business class on the 777-2. I am not sure if thats a better flight vs the 787 from AKL-SYD on NZ then United 787 from SYD-LAX but it saves about 6 hours of flying and connections. I hope this helps.

Wow. I don't know how you managed this. I have a paid BF ticket; my son has a saver economy award upgraded with GPU. Both of us are GS.

I have talked to 4 different GS reps to re-book things. Every one of them has ruled out the possibility of booking my son in Business on NZ. Instead they have re-routed us through SYD, with him flying coach for 3 hours SYD->AKL.

All I can think is that the Saver+GPU is treated differently from a saver Business award. Or maybe I need to be more forceful with the agents....
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato
Wow. I don't know how you managed this. I have a paid BF ticket; my son has a saver economy award upgraded with GPU. Both of us are GS.

I have talked to 4 different GS reps to re-book things. Every one of them has ruled out the possibility of booking my son in Business on NZ. Instead they have re-routed us through SYD, with him flying coach for 3 hours SYD->AKL.

All I can think is that the Saver+GPU is treated differently from a saver Business award. Or maybe I need to be more forceful with the agents....
Sorry maybe I was forceful enough of maybe the seats are gone, not sure what, the irony is that they had us in Business class from AKL-SYD on NZ on the 787. I almost kept that flight but the total flight time was a factor when I called back so I am not sure if that helped bolster my case or not. I have no status with United but the wife has the credit card.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato

I'm effectively in your son's boat, and can understand that either within UA or with whatever arrangement they have with NZ it is the ticket that matters and the upgrade instrument is the problem. E.g. NZ can open up I for biz award tickets but there's no way to get PN. That said, I'd love to hear what UA has to say in response to pointing out their statement that you would not come out of pocket to be re-accommodated and that your FF benefits would remain intact.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
I'm effectively in your son's boat, and can understand that either within UA or with whatever arrangement they have with NZ it is the ticket that matters and the upgrade instrument is the problem. E.g. NZ can open up I for biz award tickets but there's no way to get PN. That said, I'd love to hear what UA has to say in response to pointing out their statement that you would not come out of pocket to be re-accommodated and that your FF benefits would remain intact.
I don't think that's true - I think it's just that any non-paid fare (upgrade or award) is not necessarily going to be accepted by NZ without additional payment from UA. It sounds like figment7 got extraordinarily lucky in finding a supervisor who would authorize that (or manage to get NZ to force I space).

Barring a generally announced agreement about pushing award/upgrade tickets to NZ J, I would expect that NZ Y to Australia following by positive space J reaccommodation on UA metal via LAX or SFO is the best you're going to get.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I don't think that's true - I think it's just that any non-paid fare (upgrade or award) is not necessarily going to be accepted by NZ without additional payment from UA. It sounds like figment7 got extraordinarily lucky in finding a supervisor who would authorize that (or manage to get NZ to force I space).

Barring a generally announced agreement about pushing award/upgrade tickets to NZ J, I would expect that NZ Y to Australia following by positive space J reaccommodation on UA metal via LAX or SFO is the best you're going to get.
And how is that going to work when there are no sufficiently early flights out of the originating city to connect to UA metal in SYD given the 0945/1030 LAX and SFO departures -- be it on NZ or, as in my case, on any airline, at all? Would seem to go against the promise that customers will not be coming out of pocket if I have to pay to RON in SYD, aside from the significant inconvenience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.