Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:48 am

re check in london heathrow

hey,

i know there is a room for all american airline flights when connecting from T5 to T3 where you get a new boarding pass issued by AA. My question now im flying with eurowings from DUS to heathrow then with UA to lax (same booking). Will there be a room like aa or is the boarding pass enough which i will get at the check in counter in DUS ?

thanks a lot
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:06 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
If you get a boarding pass for your UA flight at DUS that is all you need.
If not, and assuming your luggage is checked through, you can collect one while in transit at LHR, just follow the flight connections signs for T2. There are service desks prior to security.

http://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
connection question - UA to BA at LHR

Next week, my honeymoon trip involves flying SFO-LHR on UA, followed by LHR-INV on BA (separate ticket). 2.5 hour connection time. I recognize I have no protection on BA if the UA flight is delayed; decided I could live a little.

But if I assume for the moment that the UA flight arrives on time: Can somebody hand-hold me through the logistics of making the connection?

Looks like we arrive at T2 and depart at T5. Heathrow airport website says there's a flightside bus? But when/where would we actually check in to the flight with BA? Is there a BA check-in desk in T2, or would we carry our luggage with us on the bus and then check-in flightside in T5? Or is the flightside bus a mirage since we won't have checked in to our BA flight yet?

Cheers,
Rowen
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
If you go to this page: http://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections and fill out your flight details it should give you a step-by-step plan of action.

Edit: However, since they are separate tickets, you probably won't be able to interline your bags, which means Flight Connections won't work. You'll probably have to go through Arrivals, collect your bags, take the landslide bus/train to T5 and then check in and go through security.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
If you are checking bags there's an extremely high chance this isn't going to happen. You can't interline UA to BA on separate PNRs (you can't even interline AA to BA on separate PNRs anymore) and would need to collect your bags, change terminals, and re-check which is a tough act in 2.5 hours at LHR.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:34 am

There are 2 choices.

1/If you can get United to through check your bags to INV with BA,follow the purple signs to flight connections and take the airside bus to T5,where you will clear immigration.Customs will happen at INV.

2/The more likely scenario United will not through check your bags.You will need to clear immigration,collect your bags and clear customs.You will then need to take the tube or heathrow express to T5 then go to the BA check in.For a domestic flight you will have a photo taken at security,and must pass security 35 minutes before departure,known as conformance.

If your first flight is on time 2.5 hours should be enough.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
Originally Posted by rowenb
Next week, my honeymoon trip involves flying SFO-LHR on UA, followed by LHR-INV on BA (separate ticket). 2.5 hour connection time. I recognize I have no protection on BA if the UA flight is delayed; decided I could live a little.

But if I assume for the moment that the UA flight arrives on time: Can somebody hand-hold me through the logistics of making the connection?

Looks like we arrive at T2 and depart at T5. Heathrow airport website says there's a flightside bus? But when/where would we actually check in to the flight with BA? Is there a BA check-in desk in T2, or would we carry our luggage with us on the bus and then check-in flightside in T5? Or is the flightside bus a mirage since we won't have checked in to our BA flight yet?

Cheers,
Rowen
When you arrive in the UK I believe you still have to clear customs and then check-in at the BA transfer counter and then re-enter security again so I don't think the flightside bus would be available for you to use.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:10 am

Is there a ua transit desk LHR T2 PRE SECURITY?

Howdy

Booked urgent last minute ticket on ua jnb lhr ord and sa agents in jnb cannot print me the boarding pass lhr to ord. This leaves me in the position of having to get a boarding pass in lhr. But from what I recall there is no transit desk in lhr between arrivals and the transit security checkpoint? Those desks are after security and the useless lhr employee who scans your boarding pass.

I have a 90 min cnx and I need to make this. Is there a desk before security o will they let me thru with itenerary only? Thanks
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by phbl
Howdy

Booked urgent last minute ticket on ua jnb lhr ord and sa agents in jnb cannot print me the boarding pass lhr to ord. This leaves me in the position of having to get a boarding pass in lhr. But from what I recall there is no transit desk in lhr between arrivals and the transit security checkpoint? Those desks are after security and the useless lhr employee who scans your boarding pass.

I have a 90 min cnx and I need to make this. Is there a desk before security o will they let me thru with itenerary only? Thanks
Did this last year and probably still valid now (but please correct me if I'm wrong) — You can get through LHR T2 security with a print out of your itinerary and get your BP for your onward flight at the transfer desk post-security.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Had a similiar issue, no BP for onward connection for T2 LHR, the security check at T2 would accept an itinerary or bag check tags.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 30, 2016 at 6:55 pm Reason: keyboard issues :-(
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Had a similiar issue, no BP for onward connection fro T@ LHR, the security check at T2 would accept an itinerary or bag check tags.
I have enough baggage in my life and I definitely do not need to check any with no airline! So I presume itinerary on my cellphone will suffice.

This issue is related to a downline carrier yet to issue the coupon, I believe. Thanks everyone.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:35 am

no transit desks before security at t2 and nobody checked my boarding pass before security. not even for the fast track

purple vest checking boarding cards at lhr let me thru on my word alone. so that is that.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by truncated
Did this last year and probably still valid now (but please correct me if I'm wrong) — You can get through LHR T2 security with a print out of your itinerary and get your BP for your onward flight at the transfer desk post-security.
Just beware that this might not work when connecting to a UK domestic flight (not relevant to the person you were answering, but relevant to others on this thread): they require a photo which is taken either when entering security from the check-in hall, or at the border crossing in transfers. This photo is matched to your BP, you can't board without a photo connected to that BP (as proof of being on/amitted onto UK territory).

I guess you could collect the BP at the airside desks, but you'd then have to remember to backtrack to the border crossing part of transfers or you'll be refused boarding.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by televisor
Just beware that this might not work when connecting to a UK domestic flight (not relevant to the person you were answering, but relevant to others on this thread): they require a photo which is taken either when entering security from the check-in hall, or at the border crossing in transfers. This photo is matched to your BP, you can't board without a photo connected to that BP (as proof of being on/amitted onto UK territory).

I guess you could collect the BP at the airside desks, but you'd then have to remember to backtrack to the border crossing part of transfers or you'll be refused boarding.
Oddly enough had this with YUL-LHR-BHD on AC/EI — i.e. the exact situation you mention — and no problem there either; if you don't have your boarding pass security just takes your photo anyway and prints out a sticker with a barcode that is then attached to your passport. That barcode is then scanned at the gates as you board and brings up your photo again (so make sure you don't lose it). So INT-INT and INT-DOM connections without an onward BP both shouldn't be a problem.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by truncated
Oddly enough had this with YUL-LHR-BHD on AC/EI — i.e. the exact situation you mention — and no problem there either; if you don't have your boarding pass security just takes your photo anyway and prints out a sticker with a barcode that is then attached to your passport. That barcode is then scanned at the gates as you board and brings up your photo again (so make sure you don't lose it). So INT-INT and INT-DOM connections without an onward BP both shouldn't be a problem.
Nice to know, I clearly had too little confidence in the ability of us brits to run an airport! (Another issue, aside from losing the sticker would be reprinting a BP if that's what was used for the photo - I think there are some reports in the BA forum of people being refused boarding with a BP printed at the lounge, when they used a different BP to enter airside.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.