Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I believe you'll arrive near the UA gate. However the caveat is that it'll probably take you closer to 30-45 minutes to get to the lounge.
If you arrive in that area you have to walk through the terminal, down under the the tarmac, back up into transit security (there is a priority lane), a quick BP check, back into the main T2 departures area and then back down under the tunnel and back into the "satellite" area where the long haul flights/UC/UA gates are.
To put it into perspective from door opening to me at the gate getting on my UA-4U connection (which was from Satelite to Main, not Sat to Main to Sat) it took me 28 min which included some jogging as I would have missed the flight otherwise.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:40 am

begs the question, why don't they do a transit facility in T2B?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
One with think with all the space in the bowels before you have to cross back under.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

To avoid splitting the staffing and construction/security costs, I'd bet.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by sbm12
To avoid splitting the staffing and construction/security costs, I'd bet.
+1 - and I'd bet that the majority of passengers arriving at LHR in that terminal are not connecting...
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
I see a lot of posts that say you are able to use other star alliance lounges if you have gold status. But what is the rule if you are traveling in J, but you have no status? For example, if flying UA in J from LHR, would I have access to the AC and SQ lounges as well? And what about when I am flying TG J? I've always assumed that I could go to any lounge with a J ticket, but I have seen a lot of replies here and elsewhere suggesting that you need star gold status to lounge hop like that, so now I'm not so sure!
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:59 am

Yes, any J gets you into any Star Alliance lounge (there may be certain exceptions which I can't remember right now, but that's the rule of thumb)
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
+1 - and I'd bet that the majority of passengers arriving at LHR in that terminal are not connecting...
And the British Authorities and Heathrow don't seem concerned at changing that. Most major new airport terminals are constructed to facilitate seamless and quick transfers. That way they attract both airline and passenger business and lot of revenue. For a new terminal, T2 is indeed a disgrace as it seems to do its best to discourage transferring passengers. How a transfer within the same terminal from gates adjacent to each other in B wing could take 40+ minutes in a new airport design shows lack of insight. Of course maybe this could be deliberate as an efficient star alliance terminal would take business from BA and T5 so it may well be intentional that transfers are so much trouble.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ani90
How a transfer within the same terminal from gates adjacent to each other in B wing could take 40+ minutes in a new airport design shows lack of insight.
Really not much different than a transfer between the B/C piers at T5. It does not make sense to put immigration/transfer points everywhere. A 40 minute connection - including security - at a major airport isn't the worst out there.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:30 am

Why not move the entire transit facility to T2B then? I'd say the number of pax connecting T2B to T2B is higher than those going T2A to T2A.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:08 am

Why not move the entire transit facility to T2B then? I'd say the number of pax connecting T2B to T2B is higher than those going T2A to T2A.
I wonder if anyone has/can pull numbers.

From the looks of it the T2B seems the l/h wide bodies for UA, AC, TG, SA, SQ. Not sure the timing of the flights but that's putting it as UA/AC TATL connect to Africa/SE.A and vv. Those would be the back track transfers.

OTOH Europe to TATL/ZA/SEA and vv seem like they'd all be A-B or B-A not B-A-B.

You can tell from the design and the shops and food that T2A is supposed to be the center focus/terminal hub.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:28 am

B to B transfers would be anything like EWR-LHR-JNB, YYZ-LHR-DEL, ORD-LHR-BKK etc. A to A transfers would be FRA-LHR-DUB or similar. I'd argue there are much more of the former than the latter.

Of course A to B and B to A transfers would require crossing the tunnel at least once regardless of whether the transfer facility is in A or B, so is largely irrelevant.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Chiro1979
I see a lot of posts that say you are able to use other star alliance lounges if you have gold status. But what is the rule if you are traveling in J, but you have no status? For example, if flying UA in J from LHR, would I have access to the AC and SQ lounges as well? And what about when I am flying TG J? I've always assumed that I could go to any lounge with a J ticket, but I have seen a lot of replies here and elsewhere suggesting that you need star gold status to lounge hop like that, so now I'm not so sure!
Passengers departing as premium cabin of a *A international flight have access to *A clubs/lounges. No guests. {UA extends that to all airport UCs if traveling same day international UA premium cabin.}

*G members have access departing in any cabin on any departing *A flight. One guest. {UA *G are not allowed UC access on domestically only itins.}

Any additional access method is via a *A lounge membership -such as UA's UC membership. Requires BP for any departing *A flight. UC members presently do not require a BP for UC access but in August will require any departing BP (not necessarily *A)

More on lounge access in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...15-onward.html.

More on the LHR UC in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...on-thread.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 10, 2016 at 12:53 pm Reason: links
Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
I have heard SQ tends to be a little pickier/more selective letting people into their lounges.
I've never had an issue with AC/UA/TK/LH/TG when flying J on another * airline, so I figured when I'm in LHR I'd like to check out the SQ lounge having not been to one, just curious if they allow others in or if should expect some pushback from them.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Chiro1979
I have heard SQ tends to be a little pickier/more selective letting people into their lounges.
I've never had an issue with AC/UA/TK/LH/TG when flying J on another * airline, so I figured when I'm in LHR I'd like to check out the SQ lounge having not been to one, just curious if they allow others in or if should expect some pushback from them.
Last month, I was connecting in LHR (UA to TK). I thought I'd check out the SQ lounge (economy class but Star Gold). I wasn't sure if the SQ lounge would refuse entry, but I had no problems getting in.

The lounge is very nice, perhaps a little bit better than the United lounge (more and better food). Prior to 9am, it was a little bit crowded (9:25 am SQ flight to Singapore). After 9 am, it was basically empty. I left around 9:45 am, and it started to fill up (another Singapore flight at 11:25 am).

Last edited by PBAudit; Apr 10, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.