Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Yikes. Not advisable. Terminal changes, security screenings etc.

Also, I've had the experience with BA at LHR where my BP wouldn't successfully scan at security because my flight was less than 30 minutes away.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That would be insane.

MCT is 90 minutes.

Originally Posted by noah
Also, I've had the experience with BA at LHR where my BP wouldn't successfully scan at security because my flight was less than 30 minutes away.
Yeah BA is renowned for this.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by EliteNewbie
has anyone ever successfully completed a 45 min connection time at LHR (touchdown to takeoff)

Incoming flight on UA, outgoing on BA (international) - two different itineraries, no checked baggage, and a new pair of running shoes so I can "OJ" through the airport...

Thoughts?
If you were in the same terminal - MAYBE - still wouldn't try it though. Connecting to BA from a UA flight - NO WAY - switching terminals alone at LHR kills this idea...
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
has anyone ever successfully completed a 45 min connection time at LHR (touchdown to takeoff)

Incoming flight on UA, outgoing on BA (international) - two different itineraries, no checked baggage, and a new pair of running shoes so I can "OJ" through the airport...

Thoughts?
I would advise against this due to conformance and the terminal change from T2 to T5.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold

Thoughts?
Did you consider looking at the LHR website to see the physical layout of the terminals (rather far apart and requiring bus transfers), let alone what the MCT between prospective terminals was?

Last edited by J.Edward; Jun 2, 2015 at 6:53 pm Reason: Focus on the issue, not the poster.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
I advise that you do not try this.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: *
I think it is safe to say that this connection is impossible without outbound delays or early flight arrival.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Conformance is at T-30 mins and is 100% enforced. You might make that in 30 minutes - just - from a UA arrival if you sprint to Flight Connections AND your bus leaves very quickly. So, to do this you need your flight to arrive at least 15 minutes early and to get off very quickly and to sprint for 5 minutes and to have your bus leave quickly and to reach the conformance station in T5 without any delay.

So, in short, it's not going to happen.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
I've had 2+ hour connect times at LHR that felt iffy. Transfers between terminals can take forever, multiple security checks, signage that sometimes seems not-quite-right. To put it in perspective, it's a bit of a fun challenge navigating the labyrinth that is CDG. But LHR, no matter how many times I've gone through it... there's no joy, no sense of accomplishment. Just an ordeal.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:25 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Only using a transporter.

Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
But LHR, no matter how many times I've gone through it... there's no joy, no sense of accomplishment. Just an ordeal.
Which makes me wonder why anyone in the know would ever opt for a transfer at LHR that involved two terminals - it just seems not worth it when there are other European airports with seamless transfer available. LHR is not built for transfers - period. Other than intra terminal transfer (for UA that is good for connections with star alliance in new T2) I would not opt for any other transfers within LHR. Indeed you can almost get yourself to LCY or LGW in time it can take to navigate LHR terminals!
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Qatar Airways Privilege Club
Thanks all for the help! I guess I'll look for another route in Europe ...
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ani90
Which makes me wonder why anyone in the know would ever opt for a transfer at LHR that involved two terminals - it just seems not worth it when there are other European airports with seamless transfer available. LHR is not built for transfers - period. Other than intra terminal transfer (for UA that is good for connections with star alliance in new T2) I would not opt for any other transfers within LHR. Indeed you can almost get yourself to LCY or LGW in time it can take to navigate LHR terminals!
Having done T3<->T5 a few times, it's not bad at all. Not that different going T5 to T1 at ORD or B to C at EWR.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ani90
This seems over-dramatic. It's really not that bad. There's a simple and logical process. 1 - Follow Flight Connections to get to the correct terminal, which involves a bus transfer as the terminals are separate buildings. You will need to prove you are actually flying from that terminal by showing a bp. 2 - Clear security at that new terminal. 3 - go to the gate and fly. It's sort of like arriving at LAX in TBIT and transferring to a domestic flight or onto another international flight except a) it takes much less time and b) you don't have the attitude and pain of dealing with US Immigration people.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
This seems over-dramatic. It's really not that bad. There's a simple and logical process. 1 - Follow Flight Connections to get to the correct terminal, which involves a bus transfer as the terminals are separate buildings. You will need to prove you are actually flying from that terminal by showing a bp. 2 - Clear security at that new terminal. 3 - go to the gate and fly. It's sort of like arriving at LAX in TBIT and transferring to a domestic flight or onto another international flight except a) it takes much less time and b) you don't have the attitude and pain of dealing with US Immigration people.
To be fair, I did to a T5C to deep T1 connection that was just about the worst/longest experience I can remember but the basic BA/AA and vice versa ones aren't bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.