Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
Free trains run between Terminal 2 and T4. Four per hour. Takes 20 minutes. I do remember that from check in to the gate for my UA flight to D.C. took about 15 minutes? Long walk. Do you have luggage to check? Will you have Fast Pass for security? Non EU passport? If all goes as planned, it's doable. A little tight for me but I am the person who arrives at the airport hours before international flights.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:15 pm

Thanks! Sounds like we're similar. I've had some super long lines at LHR, it's winter, and from what I understand I can't use the transfers route due to not being a through ticket.

I should have included:
1. US Passport
2. No fast pass
2. Carry-on only
3. AMS - LHR would be in economy, LHR - SFO is in J
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by gregcw
Thanks! Sounds like we're similar. I've had some super long lines at LHR, it's winter, and from what I understand I can't use the transfers route due to not being a through ticket.

I should have included:
1. US Passport
2. Carry-on only
3. AMS - LHR would be in economy, LHR - SFO is in J
I now live outside of AMS so this is actually my preferred way to get back to LAX. KL to LHR and then I pick up the LHR - LAX flight on UA. Gotta keep the status!

Take the bus from T4 to T2. As long as you are already checked in on the UA app, you just go to the connecting flights area and clear security. Since you are carrying on, you should be fine.

It ends up being lots of walking and takes about 30 minutes total once you reach the United Club -- but this is the fastest way, trust me!

Only risk is being on 2 separate tickets - KL and UA. My KL flight had an engine issue in October and the flight cancelled. Missed my UA flight and had to pony up $1000 to change it to the next day. It's a risk, but I still roll the dice.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
from what I understand I can't use the transfers route due to not being a through ticket.
Why do you say that?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
https://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections will give you a blow-by-blow plan for what you need to but, but simply put 3 hours is more than enough presuming carry-on or a single ticket. As avi8tir has said, there is an air-side bus that runs every few minutes.
​​
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
Free trains run between Terminal 2 and T4. Four per hour. Takes 20 minutes.
The train takes 4 minutes, not 20. It then drops you at the train station which is a ~5 minute walk from Terminal 2. However this would only be needed if you had to go landside such as to collect/check bags.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Why do you say that?
I had read that I would have to go landside even with a carry-on. It seems that this is not the case.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
This is from the Heathrow website:

Terminal 4 to

Terminal 2 or Terminal 3

Free shuttle trains run between Terminal 4 station (Platform 1) and Heathrow Central station (Terminals 2 & 3). There are four trains an hour.Average journey time: 20 minutes

When I flew Business Class to DC, I was given a "fast pass" (not sure what they call it at LHR) to get through Security faster and it was REALLY fast - that would be helpful! I don't know about landside/airside in your situtation but good luck!
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

from what I understand I can't use the transfers route due to not being a through ticket.
This is incorrect. Just go to the transfers bus and you'll be fine. If you had checked bags you'd need to clear and it would be more challenging but likely still fine.

I'd book this without major concerns. Weather on day of travel could hose you, of course, but that's a value trade-off you have to make based on fare difference.
This is from the Heathrow website:
That assumes the OP will be land-side, not air-side. It does not apply in this scenario.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
This is incorrect. Just go to the transfers bus and you'll be fine. If you had checked bags you'd need to clear and it would be more challenging but likely still fine.

I'd book this without major concerns. Weather on day of travel could hose you, of course, but that's a value trade-off you have to make based on fare difference.

That assumes the OP will be land-side, not air-side. It does not apply in this scenario.
Yeah, I think if it comes to it (weather-wise) I can just fly in the night before. I'd miss some post-meeting events but my guess is that there should be at least one last-minute ticket available between AMS-LHR in the evening. My boss would just eat the extra 4.5k and just make the easy change, but then I'm the one he makes meet with finance on our budget so I tend to be a bit more conservative .

Edit - Thanks for all your help everyone!
sbm12 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I had read that I would have to go landside even with a carry-on. It seems that this is not the case.
NT true. When you arrive follow the signs for 'Flight Connections' and catch the bus to your departure terminal. Once there you will have to go through security screening. 3 hours should be far more than enough time. I usually find I've cleared LHR security at my departure terminal by 30 minutes (but never more than 45 minutes) after I exit my arrival aircraft. If you fly the night before you'll almost certainly have to enter the UK and find a hotel.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There are four trains an hour.Average journey time: 20 minutes
The train is the Heathrow Express connection between T4 and T2/3 - their website says it takes 4 minutes. https://www.heathrowexpress.com/time...ondon-heathrow

I'd guess the 20 minute average they have listed is end-to-end, including an average ~8 minute wait for the train, plus the ~5 minute walk at each end.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:15 am

Hi frequent flyers.

In a few weeks I will be arriving into T2 around 6:20am on a Friday from Newark. Any recent observations regarding how long I should expect to wait at the non-EU immigration/passport check line?

Thanks!!
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by NJwasp
Hi frequent flyers.

In a few weeks I will be arriving into T2 around 6:20am on a Friday from Newark. Any recent observations regarding how long I should expect to wait at the non-EU immigration/passport check line?

Thanks!!
Extremely busy time on a Friday no less. Expect to wait for a while. Will you be in J or F? If so, your wait time could be fairly short with Fast Track. If you're in Y, I'd say expect to wait anywhere between 20ish minutes to 45 minutes. That's been my experiences at LHR.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by UAL250
Extremely busy time on a Friday no less. Expect to wait for a while. Will you be in J or F? If so, your wait time could be fairly short with Fast Track. If you're in Y, I'd say expect to wait anywhere between 20ish minutes to 45 minutes. That's been my experiences at LHR.
I am at the front of Y and am a fast walker Thanks for the feedback.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:13 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Is the Fast Track line the same as Star Alliance Gold Track?
Would a UA1k/*G flying in UA Y be able to use the Fast Track immigration line in LHR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.