Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2024, 2:07 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by MasterGberry
Hey,

My family is coming out to visit me, and are transiting from UA -> OS in Heathrow. They have about 1.5h of a connection time.
The biggest issue they face is possibility of flight delays, which are not uncommon if ex-EWR, and typically a small delay gets compounded due to LHR congestion. They should have a contingency plan for a later OS or alternative flight if there is a delay. If they must get in on that particular OS flight then may be worth a SDC to an earlier departure from US (assuming option exists).
Old Mar 17, 2024, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (1w Emerald), United Platinum (*G), Marriott Plat Elite
I have taken the UA901 SFO-LHR many times (lands around 7:30am these days) and managed to always connect to the 8:40am LX flight to ZRH. It was less tight when the time difference was again hour higher
Old Mar 18, 2024, 3:35 am

Programs: OS SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ani90
The biggest issue they face is possibility of flight delays, which are not uncommon if ex-EWR, and typically a small delay gets compounded due to LHR congestion. They should have a contingency plan for a later OS or alternative flight if there is a delay. If they must get in on that particular OS flight then may be worth a SDC to an earlier departure from US (assuming option exists).
Yeah I already looked into this, there is another OS flight 1hr later now (that didn't exist when they booked the tix)...so they have that to fall back onto.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
There are constructions going on at T2A, so a number of intra-Europe flights are departing from T2B.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 5:13 pm

Hi Everyone, please include this in the stupid question forum, but I need to ask here.

My wife and I just got the opportunity of a lifetime, not many miles used on United to get CMH-LHR, and LHR -CMH. We are mercifully able to fly to EWR, even if wee have to sit in a United Club for 8 hours before our 767-300 flight to LHR,

I have tons of data about going around London, and Paris, and I know a little about EWR, having been there several times. but I know nothing about LHR T-2, other than there is a United Club there with showers and we can access the tube from there to get downtown. Hopefully we can stash our bags at our hotel then survive the day until nighttime in London.

What do I need to know to about LHR not having been there before? Are customs easy to get through? IS it a long walk to get to ground transportation? Is it worth showering at LHR and maybe getting on the tube after the morning rush? How soon should we be back for the return flight to the US to get through customs? I have a ton of other questions, but that's more than enough for now. Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by jkumpire
Hi Everyone, please include this in the stupid question forum, but I need to ask here.

My wife and I just got the opportunity of a lifetime, not many miles used on United to get CMH-LHR, and LHR -CMH. We are mercifully able to fly to EWR, even if wee have to sit in a United Club for 8 hours before our 767-300 flight to LHR,

I have tons of data about going around London, and Paris, and I know a little about EWR, having been there several times. but I know nothing about LHR T-2, other than there is a United Club there with showers and we can access the tube from there to get downtown. Hopefully we can stash our bags at our hotel then survive the day until nighttime in London.

What do I need to know to about LHR not having been there before? Are customs easy to get through? IS it a long walk to get to ground transportation? Is it worth showering at LHR and maybe getting on the tube after the morning rush? How soon should we be back for the return flight to the US to get through customs? I have a ton of other questions, but that's more than enough for now. Thanks for your help.
UA flights usually use the B gates at LHR T2, which is a satellite building connected via an underground tunnel. So there would be a walk involved. The tube station serving T2 is right between T2 and T3, so there would be another walk involved for that as well.

Not sure about customs or time to arrive for departure at LHR T2.

UA arrival lounge is there for you to use if eligible to use (Polaris ticket), which has showers. Hours are from 6 am to 2 pm. Not sure what to do if you aren't eligible for access though.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
To get to trains, you exit building after customs exit and cross towards parking garage - you'll see elevators that'll take you down to passageway to trains. You'll have choice of 3 lines. Piccadilly line is cheapest and slowest. Heathrow Express goes only to Paddington and is the fastest/most expensive. The Elizabeth line is in the middle in terms of time and expense to central London. You can decide ahead of time which to take, depending on where you're staying. Some hotels allow early check-in w/o extra cost if it's a slow travel period (ie rooms not fully occupied night before) - you might ask.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:16 pm

Sonyeoshin and IAH Oil,

Thank you for the information and quick replies. I had never even seen this thread before my post got moved.

Sony, neither walk seems long at all, though again, I'll find out when we get there. Are there any kind of moving walkways or people movers in the terminal once you leave customs? Sadly, we are not on polaris tickets this time, and I had read the normal United Club had them. Thank you for the info.

IAH, that's great news, our first hotel is right next to a Picadilly stop. I already contacted them about leaving our luggage in storage, which they will do, I will ask about check in closer to our travel day, in many ways that would be fantastic, get in, shower, snooze for an hour or two if we absolutely have to, then get out and going.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:21 pm

Sonyeoshin and IAH Oil,

Thank you for the information and quick replies. I had never even seen this thread before my post got moved.

Sony, neither walk seems long at all, though again, I'll find out when we get there. Are there any kind of moving walkways or people movers in the terminal once you leave customs? Sadly, we are not on polaris tickets this time, and I had read the normal United Club had them. Thank you for the info.
No People Mover train available (Thats at T5)
There are moving walkways in both tunnels mentioned earlier (Satellite to T2 main and T2 to train station).
https://maps.heathrow.com Interactive Map in case you want to know more about what your journey in LHR would be.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Sonyeoshin and IAH Oil,

IAH, that's great news, our first hotel is right next to a Picadilly stop. I already contacted them about leaving our luggage in storage, which they will do, I will ask about check in closer to our travel day, in many ways that would be fantastic, get in, shower, snooze for an hour or two if we absolutely have to, then get out and going.

Hope you have a great time in London!

When you arrive, there is a pretty long walk to get to Immigration area. 10-15 minutes. There are moving walkways to help. With US passport, you will be directed to the e-gates to clear immigration. Usually pretty quick.
The United Club has showers, but there is no way to physically access the club area as an arriving passenger, so out of luck there.

The walk to the Underground is another 10-15 minutes, and again there are moving walkways for part of the way. The Piccadilly line starts at LHR, so you should be fine to get a seat and your luggage arranged. It will get noticeably more crowded as you get closer to Central London.

For the return, there is no immigration exit control; just airport security. I aim to arrive 2 hours before boarding, though I am very risk adverse and enjoy a bit of time in the Club before boarding. There has been a lot of track work on the various train / underground systems lately, especially on weekends, which has also influenced my earlier arrival times. I strongly recommend the "Citymapper" app for use when in London for best routes on public transport.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:40 pm

Goodeats,

Thank you for the information, that is very helpful! A 15 minute walk is not bad, and the hotel choice we made is looking better and better! I have always wanted to go to London, I hope it is the first of many visits. The Citymapper app is number 2 on the list when I start loading apps after I finish my absurd US tax return!
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:50 pm

Thank you again!

Originally Posted by sonyeoshin
No People Mover train available (Thats at T5)
There are moving walkways in both tunnels mentioned earlier (Satellite to T2 main and T2 to train station).
https://maps.heathrow.com Interactive Map in case you want to know more about what your journey in LHR would be.
Excuse my inexact language, I was wondering about walkways, not trains. I looked over that map you suggested, I didn't get a lot of information on it. But I will try again now that you suggested it.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Sonyeoshin and IAH Oil,

Yes - lots of moving walkways in T2 and passage to trains. Walk to Piccadilly line is a little bit shorter than to Heathrow Express.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 31, 2024 at 7:39 pm
Old Apr 10, 2024, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yes - lots of moving walkways in T2 and passage to trains. Walk to Piccadilly line is a little bit shorter than to Heathrow Express.
Thank you for the information, starting to get excited about this trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.