Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2023, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by cfischer
BOS-LHR-India ... seen that a few times ... guiding pax to the 2B transfer security checkpoint.
Yes -- it's not often open -- but on some occasions I've seen it available. I'm quite certain that given the shortages that they have in personnel there is no way to keep it open regularly -- and to be honest it probably wouldn't receive a lot of use anyways (keeping it open to make it easier to get to the UC is not likely enough justification ). I would often connect monthly from UA to GF (during Covid GF used 2B) and never one did I see this open on my early morning arrivals from EWR.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by VRFast
Is this before transfer security? I thought they forced you through security before you could go anywhere else? I seem to remember security being in 2A somewhere, after the loooong tunnel? Who else flies out of 2B, other than UA that would need to do a 2B-->2B?
After going down the long elevator, you either go left, Yellow (immigration) or right, Purple (connections). Of course both lanes quickly merge and I always wondered why they initially split. Now I see why as the 2B to 2B special lane is right before both lanes merge. I was surprised as I never noticed this before.
When I tried to use the 2B to 2B entrance, I was denied as I not on their list (I was connecting to LX which was departing from 2A). I didn't push trying to use this lane (i.e. wish to use the United Club).
I saw on the departure board, that in addition to long haul carriers, TP flight to Lisbon was leaving from 2B. I'm not sure if TP flights all leave from 2B but my guess is that carriers are assigned to either 2A or 2B. The short haul flights airlines leave from 2A. This includes LH, EI, LX, etc. While I was waiting at the gate, there were off brand airlines in 2B going to Bergen and Athens.
​​​
SPN Lifer and VRFast like this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 6:31 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by PBAudit
I'm not sure if TP flights all leave from 2B but my guess is that carriers are assigned to either 2A or 2B. The short haul flights airlines leave from 2A.
​​​
No airline uses exclusively 2A. While the vast majority of short haul use 2A, now and then, albeit infrequently, some short haul flights will depart from a B gate and that can randomly be any airline it seems. The converse, however, is the case that there are some airlines that exclusively used 2B.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 6:40 pm

I saw on the departure board, that in addition to long haul carriers, TP flight to Lisbon was leaving from 2B. I'm not sure if TP flights all leave from 2B but my guess is that carriers are assigned to either 2A or 2B. The short haul flights airlines leave from 2A. This includes LH, EI, LX, etc. While I was waiting at the gate, there were off brand airlines in 2B going to Bergen and Athens.
​​​
It varies a bit, depending on gate availability. TAP usually departs from T2A, but I've occasionally seen it at T2B. I've also seen Lufthansa occasionally at T2B, although their lounge is in T2A. As posted above, the AC flight to Halifax now departs from T2A; all others depart from T2B, which is where their lounge is.

Very generally, long haul is from T2B and short haul is from T2A, but there are exceptions.
SPN Lifer and UAL250 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
It varies a bit, depending on gate availability. TAP usually departs from T2A, but I've occasionally seen it at T2B. I've also seen Lufthansa occasionally at T2B, although their lounge is in T2A. As posted above, the AC flight to Halifax now departs from T2A; all others depart from T2B, which is where their lounge is.

Very generally, long haul is from T2B and short haul is from T2A, but there are exceptions.
Originally Posted by ani90
No airline uses exclusively 2A. While the vast majority of short haul use 2A, now and then, albeit infrequently, some short haul flights will depart from a B gate and that can randomly be any airline it seems. The converse, however, is the case that there are some airlines that exclusively used 2B.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Yes, it sends you to a small transfer security station in 2B. It's not always open, but when it is, it easily saves you 20 minutes of walking.

Most long-haul *A flights depart from 2B. For UA passengers, flights to Asia and Africa could be possible connections.
Interesting. Thanks. And yes, I have done USA->LHR->BKK a couple of times.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
After going down the long elevator, you either go left, Yellow (immigration) or right, Purple (connections). Of course both lanes quickly merge and I always wondered why they initially split. Now I see why as the 2B to 2B special lane is right before both lanes merge. I was surprised as I never noticed this before.
​​​
I always wondered the same thing as I usually was going to the left and then realizing they ended up at the same place (and being a little annoyed that I was walking a slightly further distance for no obvious reason as well).

So last time I just took the one on the right even though I wasn't connecting. I believe there were some departure screens in that short connections corridor, so I figured that was the reason why (maybe not to hold up traffic by those stopping to look at the screens). Hadn't noticed the 2B-2B lane.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 3:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by docbert
Do you know what constitutes a 2B-2B connection - a flight that normally leaves from 2B, or only one where they have actually published the departure gate as being 2B? For example, we all know that UA always departs from 2B, but the official answer is that it could be either 2A or 2B and isn't officially 2B until an hour or so before departure.
There are similar "satellite" connection facilities at 5B and 5C, and I'd expect similar rules to apply in 2B.

According to a guide written by a very knowledgeable member of the BA forum, you can only use those facilities if your onward connection gate has been published as being in 5B/5C. However, it is suggested that the flight information displays near the entrance to the connection facilities show more than an hours' worth of flights, and/or the computers that read your BP and determine your eligibility to use the facility have more info than is shown on the displays.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Gold
UA mixed cabin award ticket (I / X) mid August:

IAD - LHR (UA)
LHR - FRA (LH)

Choice between 2:35 or 3:35 connection time. Miles, cost, equipment all equal.

Never been through LHR, but assume mid August is prime summer travel in UK, just as it is in Germany. In theory, if I booked the 2:35 connection and miss it, would get rebooked on the next one. But with it being prime summer travel, I expect LH's A320s to go out full.

Would appreciate any suggestions on which one to go with.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:17 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by IADdelayed

IAD - LHR (UA)
LHR - FRA (LH)

Never been through LHR, but assume mid August is prime summer travel in UK, just as it is in Germany. In theory, if I booked the 2:35 connection and miss it, would get rebooked on the next one. But with it being prime summer travel, I expect LH's A320s to go out full.

2.35 is more than enough time even with a one hour inbound delay.
ijgordon, IADdelayed and VRFast like this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

IAD - LHR (UA)
LHR - FRA (LH)

If all on the same ticket, I would book the 2:35 connection. Plenty of time for LHR transit.

What is the impact of a significant delay getting to MUC? If something time critical / high importance, then maybe the longer layover is worth it.
IADdelayed likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:40 am

Yes, same ticket.

Assume you mean FRA? ;-) Nothing time critical, just inconvenience for relative who would be waiting on me at the airport.

It's the 5:35 pm departure from IAD. We do tend to get some nasty late afternoon / early eve t-storms that time of year, so delayed departure is not unlikely.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite

IAD - LHR (UA)
LHR - FRA (LH)

Granted this was in early September of last year, we had a 2:40 connection in LHR coming from IAH going to OSL. We had more than enough time to scroll on our phones and do shopping. If you were flying out of EWR I wouldn't do that short of a connection....
IADdelayed likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist

IAD - LHR (UA)
LHR - FRA (LH)

I would be more than comfortable doing this. 1:30 is the minimum for me to consider, 2 hours is when I start to feel comfortable at LHR for connections. 2:30 is fine, even in summer.
IADdelayed likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 12:10 pm

Perfect, 2:35 connection booked. Thanks all!
Xyzzy, goodeats21 and UAL250 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.