Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Plus there are many dozens of flights to GVA from all the other London airports if needs must. It's one of the biggest destinations at that time of year.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Plus there are many dozens of flights to GVA from all the other London airports if needs must. It's one of the biggest destinations at that time of year.
Only airlines operating direct flights seem to be LX and BA.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by wco81
Only airlines operating direct flights seem to be LX and BA.
Easyjet fly a lot of London (Gatwick, Luton, Stansted, Southend) to Geneva flights. You can select "London (All)" to see all the flights from all the airports on a given day. On weekends they have more than 20 departures a day spread across all London airports it seems. (Except for Heathrow of course.)

(I've just checked and it surprisingly seems like Ryanair's only Swiss destination nowadays is Basel, with only 1-2 flights from there to Stansted.)
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Sorry I should have clarified that I need to fly out of LHR, not one of the other London airports, because I'm hoping to connect from a TATL flight to LHR the same morning.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
If I was on separate tickets, which I try to avoid, I'd leave 4 hours for a connection, though I tend not to push my luck. Also, the UA clubs at LHR T2 are pretty nice, so don't mind spending a few hours there.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Connection time at LHR

I searched, and could not find, a Consolidated Connections/Logistics thread for LHR. Many apologies in advance if I am posting to the wrong place.

It been years since I have flown into LHR. Could someone let me know logistics (i.e. will I have to leave security, go through customs, etc) if I am connecting in on a UA flight from IAH onto an Aer Lengus flight to DUB. Current connection time is 1 hour 20 minutes, the next option is over 4 hours. Should I risk it? Would AL accommodate me if UA is delayed?

Thank you.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
I searched, and could not find, a Consolidated Connections/Logistics thread for LHR. Many apologies in advance if I am posting to the wrong place.

It been years since I have flown into LHR. Could someone let me know logistics (i.e. will I have to leave security, go through customs, etc) if I am connecting in on a UA flight from IAH onto an Aer Lengus flight to DUB. Current connection time is 1 hour 20 minutes, the next option is over 4 hours. Should I risk it? Would AL accommodate me if UA is delayed?

Thank you.
I made it from UA to 4U in about 28 min which included running. My bags didn't make it.
I can't recall if Aer Lingus is in T2. If it is I would go with the 80 min. If not would feel more comfortable with 4.
If you miss the 80 min you shouldn't have trouble getting on that next flight.

There's transfer security and a quick BP check to go back into departures of T2. Can't say if you'd have to go to another T what the deal is.
The biggest time suck will be walking from the UA arrival gate under the Tarmac through the bowels back up to the transfer security in the main part of T2.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:32 pm

EI operate from T2 as well in LHR. I would book shorter connection. If you miss it you'll be accomodated on later flights.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:48 pm

I think EI are in T2 so you should be fine.

Connections between other terminals at LHR are an absolute nightmare.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
The walk is long, but you should be fine.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Vuzuggu
EI operate from T2 as well in LHR. I would book shorter connection. If you miss it you'll be accomodated on later flights.
Assuming a single ticket. If it is separate tickets EI or UA are unlikely to provide such accommodation.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 12:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold MM, Hertz PC, Hyatt Globalist
I connected in LHR from UA to EI last week. We originally had a 60 minute connection but arrived 25 minutes early. The UA gates are a long walk from EI's and after clearing security (we had Fast Track), you have to a checkpoint where they verify your onward boarding pass and take your photo. From there we went through immigration and headed to our gate where they were already boarding our flight.

80 minutes is doable under ideal circumstances but you need to hustle.

On a related note, when we checked in at IAD, two of us had EI boarding passes with seat assignments and two of us did not. Instead we had a "this is not a boarding pass" document. The UA check in agent assured us that EI would sort this out in LHR. Long story short, we were denied boarding for our EI flight and were put on the next one an hour later. The EI supervisor indicated that UA had not correctly checked two of us in. Will deal with this upon my return next week.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
Star Alliance Lounge Heathrow

I fly into London's Heathrow this Wed 7 AM from Johannesburg via South African Airways. Then I fly SFO via United at 10:25a. 1st time through Heathrow on an international connection. Not a lot of time between flights to shower etc.

Is the South African gates near United's gates? And is there a Star Alliance Lounge near either airlines' gates? Thanks for any help.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 1:37 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Ever since T2 opened in 2014, there is no longer a combined "Star Alliance Lounge." However, if you have Star Alliance Gold status or are traveling in Business/First class, you will be able to use the United Club next to the United gates. The LHR United Club is one of the nicest in United's portfolio, and has showers if you need them. I would recommend getting on the list as soon as you arrive in the club just in case there is a wait time.

South African arrives in Terminal 2. However, it is a large terminal that is separated into an "A" section and "B" section. So, if your plane arrives at an "A" section gate, it could be a 10-15 minute walk to the lounge. The A and B sections of the terminal are connected and you can easily walk between them, it's just a bit of a hike. All of United's departures are usually very close to the United Club in T2B, though.

If you are feeling adventurous, you will also have access to other Star Alliance lounges in T2 if you have Star Alliance Gold Status. Off the top of my head, there is a Lufthansa Senator lounge in T2A and an Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge in T2B (Near the United Club). However, as I wrote above, the United Club at Heathrow is very nice compared to the ones we have domestically in the states.

Last edited by blahmeh14; Apr 10, 2016 at 1:58 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 10, 2016, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by blahmeh14
South African arrives in Terminal 2. However, it is a large terminal. So, depending on which gate your plane arrives at it could be a 10-15 minute walk to the lounge. All of United's departures are usually very close to the United Club, though.
As are South African arrivals. However, you will have to get to Terminal 2A for Flight Connections so it will be more like 20 minutes walk round trip, plus time in Security, before you find yourself back in T2B and the UC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.