Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Introducing United Exclusive Assistance "United Signature Service" [Q&A-Experiences]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Link
Seamless travel, defined. Depart effortlessly. Arrive stylishly.

United Signature ServiceSM, provided by Global Airport Concierge, offers you an elevated level of assistance during your time at the airport. This option is currently available for United customers traveling to, from or through Amsterdam, Chicago O'Hare, Frankfurt, Houston, London Heathrow, Los Angeles, Munich, New York/Newark, Paris Charles de Gaulle or San Francisco.

A United Signature Service concierge will be there to help throughout your time at the airport. Your concierge will monitor your flight, guide you to or from your gate, assist with check-in and arrange any travel changes or airport accommodations that you might need. If you want to relax before your flight, you will have access to one of our United ClubSM locations. We can also arrange for special services such as language assistance, if requested in advance.

Our concierges manage all of your travel details at the airport, so you can focus on enjoying your trip.
More info

VIP Meet & Assist

Departure service

Your United Signature Service concierge will:
  • Meet you curbside or at a designated point of arrival
  • Monitor your flight
  • Assist with priority check-in
  • Expedite security screening through the Premier Access® lane (where available).
  • Arrange United Club access (United Club access is not available outside of USA)
  • Guide you to your departure gate
  • Coordinate special requests
  • Help you rebook or reschedule travel if your flight is delayed or canceled
  • Provide language assistance (if requested at the time of booking)
Connection service
  • Monitor your flight
  • Meet you at the jet bridge (or at another designated point)
  • Assist with terminal transfers
  • Arrange United Club access (United Club access is not available outside of USA)
  • Guide you to your departure gate
  • Coordinate special requests
  • Help you rebook or reschedule travel if your flight is delayed or canceled

Arrival service

• Monitor your flight
  • Meet you at the jet bridge (or at another designated point)
  • Assist you with baggage claim
  • Coordinate with prearranged transportation (optional)
  • Guide you to your preferred mode of transportation

related: Private Suite @ LAX for UA
    Print Wikipost

Introducing United Exclusive Assistance "United Signature Service" [Q&A-Experiences]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Michilander
    Even with Global Entry I might find it worth it if it made baggage recheck and reclearing security easier.
    I'd pay $325 for this at IAD when arriving in the afternoon on an international flight.

More on-topic, I can't see this new service being beneficial except in very specific cases (absent other options and depending on the itinerary, my older parents would benefit). But considering how United handles in-house customer service issues, I'd be afraid of what happens when there's a third-party involved.
    Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
    I just don't grasp what the target market is here. I sure don't see anything worth the price to me.
    Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:55 pm

The airlines charge for everything these days, pets, legroom,booking with a live person, UM etc etc

Which one will be first to charge for wheelchair service?
    Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
    Originally Posted by gene2632
    My 17 month old granddaughter often says "oh boy". It usually means something went wrong...but sometimes it means she is excited by something. Anyone care to guess her reaction if I could explain this new money grab to her? Mine is Oh BOY, thanks United for once again putting your hand in my pocket for things you used to just do.....maybe I should start charging them for tagging my own bags in LAS?
    That is what it sounds like. Start charging for things that were provided as courtesy previously. Like help with rebooking or checking in. Now I have to pay for that service

Next time you have a friend or relative visiting the US and traveling on United BEWARE. I see this as an option for United to palm them off to this service as the only way to get yourself through the system. Need help, cannot speak American English - Sorry, Cannot help you. You need to pay $325 and engage that service to get yourself sorted out.

Last edited by TravellingMan; Jan 21, 2016 at 5:18 pm
    Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by drowelf
    I just don't grasp what the target market is here. I sure don't see anything worth the price to me.
    The price makes it not worth it to me, but as for target market...
    • Parent(s) flying with multiple kids, carry ons, checked bags, strollers, etc.
    • Single parent w tiny baby (I personally help at least one a month get settled, get thru jetway, etc)
    • Elderly/parents/grandparents not used to navigating the system or who move a bit slow (and who count on us for advice and guidance on everything related to air travel).
    • Business that wants to make their client feel special.
    • Business that won't pay for first class but wants an exec to have fewer hassles.
    • Foreign pax w lack of language/cultural knowledge about USA
    • First time flyers who are intimidated

I can see it. Especially if it could be used by international pax arriving (as I said earlier, I happily paid for the arrival expedite at CAI just so I wouldn't have to deal with any of it, and it was cheaply bundled with my car pickup service).

But not at $300.
    Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:34 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
    Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
    Am I the only one who sees this as implicit discrimination against people who speak different languages and who are immobile? As in, pay more to speak with someone who speaks your language, or someone who needs assistance in the airport. That should be a free service to people who already pay more to travel to/from the USA, as well as those who already pay a lot out of pocket for wheelchairs, canes, etc.

My view could be completely skewed, and I could be reading this wrong, but that's kind of how I take it, as someone who has a disability (deafness).
    Not to mention for some destinations, people that speak different languages are already required (i.e. flights to Mainland China, where people must verify home return permits, some of which are the old style that do not have English on them.)
    Some airports are already navigable without any English knowledge at all (i.e. Spanish, French in all Canadian airports, as mandated by law, and Chinese in YVR.)
    Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:05 pm
    Suspended

Programs: UA1k AC SE
    Originally Posted by milepig
    OK - it turns out you can price before you enter personal information, so I clicked through. Fairly annoying to fill out the form. At the end the basic package was $325 for 2 pax, Lounge access added another $100. That's as far as I went.
    ouch that's expensive.
    Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
    The airlines charge for everything these days, pets, legroom,booking with a live person, UM etc etc

Now if they did that, I bet preboards would drop substantially as well. Always wonder how we can start with 10 wheelchairs from departure but upon arrival only 1 or 2 are needed!
    Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
    Originally Posted by riphamilton
    Unclear whether this is a mobility assistance program, or a VIP scheme.

I'm assuming this is the result of the survey questions that asked about things like having your carry-on baggage loaded for you.
    All of us who use United are "challenged" and need assistance!
    Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:35 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zebranz
    All of us who use United are "challenged" and need assistance!
    Speak for yourself. I have no problem using United.
    Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
    1) It's difficult for us who have been around for a long time not to compare this to United's own old Concierge service for 1Ks and VVIPs (et al). A key difference, IMO - all the services now in beta listed above notwithstanding - is that the Concierges were able to perform miracles in general irrops and personal irrops situations. For instance, thinking about how to knit together two separate sequential business trips (the first one broken), doing so, and handing the tickets/boarding passes across the counter, at no more charge. Just one of the simpler examples. The Concierges were and had to be senior customer service staff.

2) This is a contract organization. Two questions arise: Will they know how to optimize United policy and procedures to the elite customer's needs? And what other organizations do they contract with? My experience with United's contracted affiliates has been ticket counter and other customer contact services outside the U.S. In such cases, there could be no flexibility w/r/t policy and procedure, even if they didn't know the actual (baggage, for example) policy. And to the latter question, what is the competition for their services when everything goes to hell in a handbasket - a situation that's maximum challenge even to senior customer service staff - when they're desperately needed? And a part of this question must be about accountability.

Long-time frequent traveler program participants can remember airlines and hotel companies contracting with concierge services ... and then folding the tent.

Last edited by Firewind; Jan 24, 2016 at 8:50 pm
    Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:54 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

That would be illegal in the EU...
    Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09

That would be illegal in the EU...
    Suspicion that this is about disabled access etc seems overblown -- for legal and PR reasons. This is more about charging for special treatment. We can argue about whether this is a deval of elite benefits or a way to extract money for customer service or if it is like we see elsewhere in the world where people pay for expedite services.

Last edited by abaheti; Jan 24, 2016 at 10:49 pm
    Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
    Originally Posted by abaheti
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Suspicion that this is about disabled access etc seems overblown -- for legal and PR reasons. This is more about charging for special treatment. We can argue about whether this is a deval of elite benefits or a way to extract money for customer service or if it is like we see elsewhere in the world where people pay for expedite services.
    Aka "unbundling", which is the strategic trajectory of the industry ...
    At the bottom end - leg room - so why not at the top end, a la Willie Sutton?
    Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:35 am
    mp2

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
    Signature Service by United - Is this new?

I got an email from United today, talking about United Signature Service. I haven't seen this before, and wondering if anyone else got this.

Tried searching the forum, but nothing showed up.

Link for details: http://united.globalairportconcierge.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.