Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier® Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
So, my thoughts:
R fare does not indicate RPU? I clear into R on a CPU as well. By my previous statement logic, you DID clear via a CPU and the RPU was just redeposited by the normal UA systems. That's what I would guess
Or your letter worked but I would think they hadn't received it yet if there's no response. *shrug*
How can we really know LOL
On UA.com > Manage Reservations...when I hovered my mouse over the little Upgrade icon just below the flight number, equipment, fare class, meal, etc...It said something to the effect of "Upgraded to United First through the use of a Regional Premier Upgrade." ...and this was after the flight was complete.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
When I looked at my account yesterday, it shows that my ORD-GRR leg was an R fare (indicating RPU). I called the 1K desk, explained the entire situation (including the fact that F had empty seats) and the agent is super receptive...but she needs to call Mileage Plus. She returns from hold and tells me, "I'm sorry, since you sat in first class, the RPU is considered used." She did add some anecdotal commentary that "sometimes when the long-haul leg doesn't clear, the systemwide will go back into your account." ...ymmv.
That's typical. RPU and CPU both clear into R. If you have an RPU applied, UA will consider it burned even if you would have CPU'ed. Indeed, these days an RPU will typically only clear on flights where you would have CPU'ed anyway.

As a last resort, I wrote my sob story to Customer Care (using almost all 2,000 characters in the process) and to my surprise, I logged in this morning to see that the RPU had been redeposited as of yesterday, despite not yet getting a response from Customer Care. Coincidence? Luck?
Who knows. Most likely agent intervention at some point.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
For the first time, I reached the Platinum level and got 2 Regional upgrades deposited in my account. With my travel this year, I would probably reach 1K status. When I do, will I receive 4 more of these upgrades or 6 in addition to what I had received? Thanks.
Did you reach Platinum this year, or last? If you reached last year, then your 2 RPUs will have been deposited, and you start over from 0 miles to earn status again as of Jan 1 this year. If you then get 1K this year, you will get an additional 4 RPUs, bringing your total to 6 (assuming the other 2 are from last year). However, if you've reached Platinum this year (in the first 64 days of 2018), then as @jsloan mentioned, you will get 2 more once you've reached 1K status (as well as receiving 6 GPUs at that point). You will not receive a total of 6 RPUs unless you fly at least 125K miles (and have 1K status) in a single calendar year.

Here is the info I found on this link on the UA website:
Premier members will earn two Regional Premier Upgrades upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier Platinum status, plus two more upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier 1K® status. An additional two Regional Premier Upgrades will be awarded for each 25,000 Premier qualifying miles or 30 Premier qualifying segments earned thereafter during the same calendar year that Premier 1K was reached.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As a last resort, I wrote my sob story to Customer Care (using almost all 2,000 characters in the process) and to my surprise, I logged in this morning to see that the RPU had been redeposited as of yesterday, despite not yet getting a response from Customer Care. Coincidence? Luck?
It's a commonly reported issue. UA has basically no insight after-the-fact into how an R class ticket was supported and they tend to see the fact that an RPU was debited, applied to the reservation, and that you flew in R.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
It's a commonly reported issue. UA has basically no insight after-the-fact into how an R class ticket was supported and they tend to see the fact that an RPU was debited, applied to the reservation, and that you flew in R.
Customer Care replied...

Dear Mr. LRMERNST:
We’re always glad to hear from Premier 1K members like you. Thanks for writing.
The Regional Upgrade deducted February 28th has been redeposited.
Thanks for flying United®.

LRMERNST - 1, United - 0 (Assuming we're only keeping score from the last 24 hours )
mpiotrow likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:30 am

I have an upcoming flight from EWR-LAX that I'm trying to use an RPU on. Looking at the upgrade page, it says that online upgrades are not available, but still has a button for me to press to apply an RPU. Here is what that screen looks like:

When I press the button, the screen changes to the following:

However, I don't see a "Save Selection" or "Continue" or anything else to click on, and so when I exit out of the upgrade page and then go back into it, it looks like the first image again. I realize that the RPU won't clear immediately, but I'd at least like to get on the list. Am I doing something wrong? I've tried on a couple different browsers, and get the same results from each.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
However, I don't see a "Save Selection" or "Continue" or anything else to click on, and so when I exit out of the upgrade page and then go back into it, it looks like the first image again. I realize that the RPU won't clear immediately, but I'd at least like to get on the list. Am I doing something wrong? I've tried on a couple different browsers, and get the same results from each.
Same thing happened to me the other day applying a GPU. I called and the agent was able to take care of it, although it took her two tries (and withdrew twice the GPUs, although that was fixed quickly via an email to 1kvoice).
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Same thing happened to me the other day applying a GPU. I called and the agent was able to take care of it, although it took her two tries (and withdrew twice the GPUs, although that was fixed quickly via an email to 1kvoice).
Seems to be a recurring problem, it has happened to be and it has been mentioned on other threads. I now basically call all my upgrade in until this is fixed. Make sure you instruments are used first in and first out.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:13 pm

Problem solved...I called, and they were able to apply the RPU for me, so at least I'm waitlisted for the upgrade.
Originally Posted by nomad420
Seems to be a recurring problem, it has happened to be and it has been mentioned on other threads. I now basically call all my upgrade in until this is fixed. Make sure you instruments are used first in and first out.
Regarding the FIFO on the instruments, you're talking about if you have instruments that don't expire at the same time, and to make sure that the ones that expire first are used first, correct?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Problem solved...I called, and they were able to apply the RPU for me, so at least I'm waitlisted for the upgrade.
Regarding the FIFO on the instruments, you're talking about if you have instruments that don't expire at the same time, and to make sure that the ones that expire first are used first, correct?
Yes absolutely. The agents have screwed this up for me several times, I always double check and ask them which one they are applying as I still have 4 from last year (2 from wive's account) and obviously want to use those first (although good luck with that, nothing has cleared for me since the first of the year).
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
Yes absolutely. The agents have screwed this up for me several times, I always double check and ask them which one they are applying as I still have 4 from last year (2 from wive's account) and obviously want to use those first (although good luck with that, nothing has cleared for me since the first of the year).
I only have 2 anyway...and they both expire at the same time. I'm not counting on this working, but figured it was worth a shot. It's pretty much the longest (best use?) for an RPU, so that's why I figured I'd at least try.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
RPU request removal

Hello, as part of international itinerary, I will be flying EWR-SFO-LAX and, on the return, LAX-IAD-EWR. The trancon segments have not cleared whereas the SFO-LAX and the IAD-EWR segments cleared. I do not want to waste RPUs on these short segments. Until when do I have to request removal of RPU upgrade requests on the non-cleared transcon segments? Travel on 19 and 21 March. Thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cagcag
... Until when do I have to request removal of RPU upgrade requests on the non-cleared transcon segments? ....
You can wait until you are at the gate but the choice of economy seats will be continually diminishing.

Prior to the gate, your original fare class will be needed to downgrade -- otherwise, there will be a fare difference.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can wait until you are at the gate but the choice of economy seats will be continually diminishing.

Prior to the gate, your original fare class will be needed to downgrade -- otherwise, there will be a fare difference.
Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

One last question, please. On the westbound on 19 March, if I request a removal of the applied RPU for the SFO-LAX segment, now, would I still be eligible for a possible CPU on same flight, if it becomes available?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.