Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier® Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
KOA - SFO cleared 5 days prior to flight which for me is almost unheard of. Obvious tourism is down on the Big Island so flights seem wide open now. I saw only one seat in F was sold and no R space (typical) so I called 1K desk and asked what gives. Almost freakishly the agent agreed and pushed the instrument upgrade through.
Wow! Miracle!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
triple miracle:
1. 1K pushed thru an instrument upgrade with R=0
2. Upgrade was on a HI flight
3. It was nomad420 getting an instrument supported upgrade

impossible!

David
Kacee and SFOdelayed like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nomad420
KOA - SFO cleared 5 days prior to flight which for me is almost unheard of. Obvious tourism is down on the Big Island so flights seem wide open now.
United has some great fares IAH-KOA right now. I booked for $394/rt earlier today for a long weekend in July and there don't seem to be any min stay requirements or anything. Even the return KOA-DEN red eye with lie flat seats has R space!
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
I'll be flying PDX-SFO-IAD on July 20th on a full Y fare. PDX-SFO cleared as an instant upgrade immediately after ticketing, and the SFO-IAD leg currently shows F4, so I was thinking I should throw an RPU at it if I want to have any chance (however small) of clearing that leg. Will the fact that my first leg has already been upgraded cause any issues? I don't want to apply to RPU, fail to clear the second leg, and then have the RPU still count as used since the first leg was upgraded already. Should I call in and ask them to apply the RPU to just that leg? Any thoughts on whether a Platinum on full Y has a chance of it clearing on a 4pm Friday hub to hub flight?

Thanks for the help. This is my first time using RPUs, so just trying to make sure I don't make a mistake.

Last edited by shutter41; Jul 12, 2018 at 2:57 pm Reason: Added detail
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by shutter41
Any thoughts on whether a Platinum on full Y has a chance of it clearing on a 4pm Friday hub to hub flight?
Low odds. You'll still be behind all GS and all 1Ks using instruments, and that could easily be a dozen (or more) on this route. But I don't see much harm in giving it a shot. The record will show you cleared the first segment before the instrument was applied, so even if they screw up the refund initially, you should be able to get your instrument back.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:08 pm

RPUs on NH NRT to SIN Leg?

Can they be applied for this? If so how?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Can they be applied for this? If so how?

Safe Travels,

James
No.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Should RPU be returned after IRROPS rebooking?

Both my friend and I were rebooked into different fare classes after IRROPS. RPUs were applied before the trip. Mine was cleared instantly (R1), but my friend was not cleared at all. I was rebooked to P class on a later flight and credited with 2 x distance PQM. My friend was rebooked twice, first into Z class on a later flight and then F class on another later flight (three redeye flights for LAX-IAD). He was credited with full Y (1.5 x distance PQM), not ZY if this matters. Should zero, one or two RPUs be returned under these two different rebookings? Apparently, none of them was automatically returned. Our records were very messed up; we were once rebooked to AA flights and then changed back to United flights. I do not want to call MPSC before I know my chance. Thanks.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:14 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
Do I have to book in a specific fare class in order to use my RPUs? I want to use them as a Platinum member in December on a flight to HNL from either IAH, ORD or EWR. Any recommendations when it comes to best routes or aircrafts?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Goflyer100
Do I have to book in a specific fare class in order to use my RPUs? I want to use them as a Platinum member in December on a flight to HNL from either IAH, ORD or EWR. Any recommendations when it comes to best routes or aircrafts?
Not for RPUs. Best to find R availability and ticket immediately. Upgrade to HNL in December will be very tough, even off season is not easy.

Good luck.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:59 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Not for RPUs. Best to find R availability and ticket immediately. Upgrade to HNL in December will be very tough, even off season is not easy.

Good luck.
Thanks, I'm currently a Gold member right now and I have to book my flight before I will be Platinum. Are there any days in the week that are better to get an upgrade with my RPUs?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goflyer100
Thanks, I'm currently a Gold member right now and I have to book my flight before I will be Platinum. Are there any days in the week that are better to get an upgrade with my RPUs?
Midweek -- but don't have high expectations. 1Ks have a hard time using RPUs on those routes.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
IAD-SFO RPU cleared 23 hrs before flight. Passenger is a GM and we paid $25 fee for 1 bag. Will it be refunded automatically? If not, how can I request a refund.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
IAD-SFO RPU cleared 23 hrs before flight. Passenger is a GM and we paid $25 fee for 1 bag. Will it be refunded automatically? If not, how can I request a refund.
Did the passenger pay before the upgrade? If so, the standard answer is no refund but a you might get a ETC from Customer Support
Ruhr likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
I have some GPUs expiring in January, and with no planned international flights coming up, I'm getting desperate to use them. So I've begun using them as I would RPUs. I have a same day mileage run coming up: PHL-SFO-LAX-DEN-PHL. Due to a quirk, the system lets me apply one GPU to this FOUR segment itinerary (maybe because it's same day?). I'd love to do my run in First class. But I'm worried that only the short SFO-LAX segment is going to clear, thus consuming my entire GPU.

1) Should I try calling the 1K desk and have them apply the GPU to only the other segments? (risking them denying me the application on FOUR segments) or
2) Just apply the GPU to the entire itinerary, sit back and wait, and enjoy the ride--whatever clears, clears?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.