Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier® Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by windhund
So I've found PZ space on international routes before and have experience hunting for those. However, I've never been able to find PZ space domestically. It seems especially tough since UA has gotten really good at filling the cabins domestically.

I'd like to use RPUs on, say, IAD/EWR-HNL, but those seems equally difficult even though there are more F seats than on the domestic mainline 737s and A319/320s. Browsing here, it seems more luck of the draw (more so than with finding it on INTL flights) - but curious if I missed anything, FT RPU experts?
EWR-LAX seems to have some space at times, see comments above about PZ1 found even on a Friday evening dinner flight. Especially with the new 787-10. Back when I was Platinum the other year, I used both my RPU's on the EWR-LAX flights, a good value for almost 7 hours of seat time going west bound. So consider EWR-LAX-HNL if you're looking to get to Hawaii.

Good luck!
windhund likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Anyone having trouble with the RPU/GPU section of the UA website where you can actually apply them to an upcoming flight? I click "Manage Flight", and then "Upgrade cabin" to take me to the "Upgrade Your Flight" page, and on that page there are 2 tabs: "Purchase Upgrade" and "Use Miles to Upgrade". When it's on the "Purchase Upgrade" tab, I see 2 buttons at the bottom: "Continue to Payment" and "Cancel". However, as soon as I click on the "Use Miles to Upgrade" page, those buttons disappear, so I'm unable to save my RPU/GPU selection to apply them toward my flights. I've tried it on 2 different browsers (Chrome and IE) on 2 different computers, and they all seem to be missing the buttons at the bottom if I want to "Use Miles to Upgrade", no matter if I select RPU/GPU, or if I want to use miles and money. Any ideas? I guess I'm just going to have to call the 1K line and have them apply the upgrade.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:02 pm

Further to my question above, I have an upcoming itinerary that involves DEN-HNL-GUM-HKG...I called the 1K line to apply an RPU for the valid segments, which I thought would have been DEN-HNL, and GUM-HKG (I know that HNL-GUM is GPU only), but the agent I spoke with said that GUM-HKG wasn't valid for an RPU. I told him that I'm on the CPU list for that flight, and that I thought that all flights that are CPUable should be RPUable, but he said when he tried to apply it to that segment that it said it couldn't be done. Any idea why that would be? Do I just need to call again and ask a different agent?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Do I just need to call again and ask a different agent?
Yes. GUM-HKG is definitely RPU-able, and a single RPU should cover DEN-HNL and GUM-HKG. I've used RPUs on GUM-NRT and MNL-GUM.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: United MP 1K, Marriott Gold
I know GS GPUs are treated differently than 1K GPUs - notably the application to PN instead of PZ.
Are RPUs the same? Wondering if it might make sense to ask a outside US friend who got GS if they could apply one of their RPUs to one of my upcoming flights that has space in PN but no PZ.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by ajgarett
I know GS GPUs are treated differently than 1K GPUs - notably the application to PN instead of PZ.
Are RPUs the same? Wondering if it might make sense to ask a outside US friend who got GS if they could apply one of their RPUs to one of my upcoming flights that has space in PN but no PZ.
Yes-in general all GS upgrade instruments clear into PN
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:06 am

I have an upcoming AAA-BBB-CCC-DDD itinerary where I applied for an upgrade using an RPU on the eligible segments (AAA-BBB-CCC). BBB-CCC is not really worth it, though, as it's just over a 1 hour flight, so I don't really want to waste an RPU on that segment if AAA-BBB doesn't clear. Is there any way to stipulate that I only want to upgrade BBB-CCC if the AAA-BBB upgrade goes through? I'm guessing not, and that I need to call an agent to have them remove the RPU from the BBB-CCC segment (or remove the RPU from both segments, and reapply an RPU for AAA-BBB only, since I think that's the easiest way for them to do it). Is that correct?

If they have to reapply the RPU, does that mean I move to the bottom of the list, or anything like that? I have no idea where I am in the upgrade waitlist as of now, as the flight is still 1 month away.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any way to stipulate that I only want to upgrade BBB-CCC if the AAA-BBB upgrade goes through?
No.

I'm guessing not, and that I need to call an agent to have them remove the RPU from the BBB-CCC segment (or remove the RPU from both segments, and reapply an RPU for AAA-BBB only, since I think that's the easiest way for them to do it). Is that correct?
Removing it from one segment should be perfectly straightforward. If it ends up clearing (in advance) on AAA-BBB, you can call back and add BBB-CCC again.

If they have to reapply the RPU, does that mean I move to the bottom of the list, or anything like that? I have no idea where I am in the upgrade waitlist as of now, as the flight is still 1 month away.
It would if you had them pull and re-apply; it wouldn't if you just have them remove the single segment.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
If it ends up clearing (in advance) on AAA-BBB, you can call back and add BBB-CCC again.
Can adding BBB-CCC again be done day of, assuming AAA-BBB doesn't clear until at the gate, etc?

Thanks for all the info! ^
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can adding BBB-CCC again be done day of, assuming AAA-BBB doesn't clear until at the gate, etc?

Thanks for all the info! ^
They might struggle to do that for you, but I'm not sure. In practice, it seems rare that for shorter flights the RPU will make a difference for upgrades, since you may clear CPU beforehand, or you may not have any chance at all.
jsloan and mpiotrow like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I have an upcoming AAA-BBB-CCC-DDD itinerary where I applied for an upgrade using an RPU on the eligible segments (AAA-BBB-CCC). BBB-CCC is not really worth it, though, as it's just over a 1 hour flight, so I don't really want to waste an RPU on that segment if AAA-BBB doesn't clear. Is there any way to stipulate that I only want to upgrade BBB-CCC if the AAA-BBB upgrade goes through? I'm guessing not, and that I need to call an agent to have them remove the RPU from the BBB-CCC segment (or remove the RPU from both segments, and reapply an RPU for AAA-BBB only, since I think that's the easiest way for them to do it). Is that correct?

Is the BBB-CCC flight less than 500 miles? I had an experience last year where I was flying ORD-IAH-BTR. My RPU cleared on the IAH-BTR flight but not on the ORD-IAH flight. My RPU was returned. When I reported this, some other FTers reported the same effect and it seemed that the less than 500 miles was triggering the return.
Kannai likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Is the BBB-CCC flight less than 500 miles? I had an experience last year where I was flying ORD-IAH-BTR. My RPU cleared on the IAH-BTR flight but not on the ORD-IAH flight. My RPU was returned. When I reported this, some other FTers reported the same effect and it seemed that the less than 500 miles was triggering the return.
Oh, I didn't think about that...yes, it's definitely less than 500 miles (closer to 250, actually). I knew (or thought I knew) that there was some sort of "rule" about getting back your upgrade back if the shorter segment cleared but a Polaris segment didn't, but I didn't know anything about this 500 mile limit...
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, I didn't think about that...yes, it's definitely less than 500 miles (closer to 250, actually). I knew (or thought I knew) that there was some sort of "rule" about getting back your upgrade back if the shorter segment cleared but a Polaris segment didn't, but I didn't know anything about this 500 mile limit...
It's not a published rule (as the Polaris one is). It just seems to happen.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by fumje
It's not a published rule (as the Polaris one is). It just seems to happen.
So maybe it's not necessary for me to remove BBB-CCC from my RPU request? Or should I just remove it anyway because I don't really care if I get that upgrade or not, and don't want to have to "waste" an RPU on that segment if AAA-BBB doesn't get confirmed, and I'm not one of the lucky ones that gets the RPU returned?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So maybe it's not necessary for me to remove BBB-CCC from my RPU request? Or should I just remove it anyway because I don't really care if I get that upgrade or not, and don't want to have to "waste" an RPU on that segment if AAA-BBB doesn't get confirmed, and I'm not one of the lucky ones that gets the RPU returned?
If you know you don't want the RPU to be considered used without AAA-BBB clearing, I would remove the request. I have once had a certificate returned when only the sub-500mi segment cleared (on a sub-500mi + super-500mi itinerary). But since I've only once allowed clearing like that to happen, and there's no stated policy, I wouldn't feel confident relying on it happening.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.