Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier® Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K - Hilton Gold - Marriott Gold

New here, so sorry if I failed at searching, but was unable to find my answer. I hit Plat for 2015 and got my 2 RPUs (expiring 1/2016) so i used one in Aug and then one in Dec *after* hitting Plat for 2016 , so I had 3 RPUs in my account. After using the 2nd one, now my account shows 1 RPU expiring 1/2016 and 1 expiring 1/2017. Was I supposed to manually select the older RPU? Why would it take one of the new ones when I had one expiring?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
If flight is after 1/31/2016, will use newer one
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott (Plat Premier, LT Plat)
If your flight is before 4/30, you can call the MileagePlus Service Center and request then to have the RPU expiring on 1/31/2016 applied to the new reservation. There are reports that UA is extending unused RPUs/GPUs.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ua_sp_102366
If your flight is before 4/30, you can call the MileagePlus Service Center and request then to have the RPU expiring on 1/31/2016 applied to the new reservation. There are reports that UA is extending unused RPUs/GPUs.
Only unused GPU. No RPU.n From what I was told by MP service director there is no option in the system wherby MP agents can extend RPU. I typically have 4+ RPU expiring every Jan & MP agents have never been able to extend my RPU. GPU yes.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K - Hilton Gold - Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ranok
New here, so sorry if I failed at searching, but was unable to find my answer. I hit Plat for 2015 and got my 2 RPUs (expiring 1/2016) so i used one in Aug and then one in Dec *after* hitting Plat for 2016 , so I had 3 RPUs in my account. After using the 2nd one, now my account shows 1 RPU expiring 1/2016 and 1 expiring 1/2017. Was I supposed to manually select the older RPU? Why would it take one of the new ones when I had one expiring?
Perhaps I was unclear: I had 2 RPUs expiring 1/2016, used two in 2015, reached Plat for two more RPUs (actually 1K, but those RPUs/GPUs haven't hit yet), now I have two RPUs, one expiring this month, and another next year. I would have assumed that redeeming RPU would use the oldest (i.e., closest to expiring) before one of the new ones.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Newbie RPU question

Just made Platinum and hence received my first RPUs. From what I read on here they aren't very useful, but I have a potential use in mind and wanted some advice:

I'm planning a future trip involving an EDI-ORD leg where I would buy an award ticket in BusinessFirst for my travel companion, and I would buy my ticket myself. In theory, could I buy (say) a B fare and apply an RPU, in lieu of buying (say) a more expensive P fare? If that's true in theory, how would I tell in practice whether this is going to work before I buy the ticket? Or put differently - if I buy the B fare and the RPU doesn't clear, is there a way to buy-up to P so my companion and I don't end up in different cabins?

(Apologies for being somewhat naïve about these matters - almost all my travel is domestic on discount coach fares, so these issues haven't come up before.)
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some find useful, others not. I find them useful and have always been able to use them.

As you are looking at an international leg you can not use an RPU. They are for North America and a couple other select routes. You would need a GPU for that.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rowenb
Just made Platinum and hence received my first RPUs....I'm planning a future trip involving an EDI-ORD leg where I would buy an award ticket in BusinessFirst for my travel companion, and I would buy my ticket myself. In theory, could I buy (say) a B fare and apply an RPU...
You might want to peruse info on use of RPUs:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...gupgrades.aspx
Old Jan 9, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Just made Platinum and hence received my first RPUs. From what I read on here they aren't very useful, but I have a potential use in mind and wanted some advice:

I'm planning a future trip involving an EDI-ORD leg where I would buy an award ticket in BusinessFirst for my travel companion, and I would buy my ticket myself. In theory, could I buy (say) a B fare and apply an RPU, in lieu of buying (say) a more expensive P fare? If that's true in theory, how would I tell in practice whether this is going to work before I buy the ticket? Or put differently - if I buy the B fare and the RPU doesn't clear, is there a way to buy-up to P so my companion and I don't end up in different cabins?

(Apologies for being somewhat naïve about these matters - almost all my travel is domestic on discount coach fares, so these issues haven't come up before.)
Regional Premier Upgrades can't be used on international segments such as EDI to ORD. You'd need a Global Premier Upgrade, a high ticket class and lots of luck.... Alternatively just buy BF. It's not a super long flight IMHO but YMMV.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In theory, could I buy (say) a B fare and apply an RPU, in lieu of buying (say) a more expensive P fare? If that's true in theory, how would I tell in practice whether this is going to work before I buy the ticket? Or put differently - if I buy the B fare and the RPU doesn't clear, is there a way to buy-up to P so my companion and I don't end up in different cabins?
If you purchase a B fare, you can upgrade it for 20,000 miles, no co-pay. The upgrade is subject to capacity controls. But easier than a business saver award ticket.

You could also upfare a B (or any economy fare) to a business class ticket, likely with no change fee, paying only the fare differential (which is probably not much to a P on that route). There's no guaranty of discount business class fare availability as you get closer to departure, however, and if you have to buy a J, C, or D it could be expensive.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Perhaps I was unclear: I had 2 RPUs expiring 1/2016, used two in 2015, reached Plat for two more RPUs (actually 1K, but those RPUs/GPUs haven't hit yet), now I have two RPUs, one expiring this month, and another next year. I would have assumed that redeeming RPU would use the oldest (i.e., closest to expiring) before one of the new ones.
Have you called? It should be that the oldest are always used first. UA Customer service should be able to see the history and reapply as needed. Call or email 1k voice for help.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
After using the 2nd one, now my account shows 1 RPU expiring 1/2016 and 1 expiring 1/2017. Was I supposed to manually select the older RPU? Why would it take one of the new ones when I had one expiring?
It's been a while since I had RPUs expiring on 2 different dates, but IIRC it gave me a choice on which one to click. Even though I am pretty good with the mouse I was sweating until I was sure it was the older one.

Now isn't there a process to withdraw an RPU? Then you could apply the expiring one. I'm assuming you have to call in - I've never done it.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
sorry to ask this

But I'm sure that someone will know the answer quickly.

I (1K) am using two RPUs to upgrade biz partner and his wife (neither one has any status). This is currently waitlisted. I assume that if two seats open up in advance that instrument upgrades will clear before elite CPUs. Is it the same situation day of flight at the gate? Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by JNelson113
But I'm sure that someone will know the answer quickly.

I (1K) am using two RPUs to upgrade biz partner and his wife (neither one has any status). This is currently waitlisted. I assume that if two seats open up in advance that instrument upgrades will clear before elite CPUs. Is it the same situation day of flight at the gate? Thanks!
In the five day window up to T-24, Premier members may clear CPUs with a Y or B fare - 1Ks on M as well. This has priority over instruments.

As of 1 Feb 16, Only 1K's in Y, B, or M may get a CPU prior to from T-96 to T-24. This will still have priority to instruments, according to United.com.

From the way I read the website at T-24 the waitlist reverts to status, fare class, and finally time added to the list.

Of course this is only on CPU eligible flights.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
It's been a while since I had RPUs expiring on 2 different dates, but IIRC it gave me a choice on which one to click. Even though I am pretty good with the mouse I was sweating until I was sure it was the older one.

Now isn't there a process to withdraw an RPU? Then you could apply the expiring one. I'm assuming you have to call in - I've never done it.
I have once succeeded in having the phone agent swap the later-expiry RPU for the sooner-expiry one (without losing the upgrade). However in that case the wrong one being used was another phone agent's fault, and (probably more significantly) I had not yet flown. I'd guess once flown, which I think is ranok's (OP's) situation, it might not be possible anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.