Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

Apply 'em to every flight I take. Since they don't work 95% of the time I have nothing to lose. If at the very least I am ahead of someone else without a RPU then great, if not it goes back into my (unused) bank.

What a sad airline this has become.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I just started doing the same thing! I use to save them for PS flights (as those have miles and co-pay now). I fly SFO-BOS almost every week and will be #20 on the upgrade list after everything clears as a 1K. I just put RPUs on all the return legs of those trips (have 4 in right now). I expect to get them all back.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
I was 6/6 for US Airways upgrades as a Platinum for the last month and a half. That just went away last week, though.

My United CPU rate as a 1k is substantially lower than that, but not to the point where I feel applying an RPU to every flight would do nothing. I remember reading somewhere that the RPU refunds if an upgrade clears within the CPU window, is that true?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teeceedee
I remember reading somewhere that the RPU refunds if an upgrade clears within the CPU window, is that true?
Huh? I assumed of course the RPU is automatically re-deposited if it wasn't redeemed.

Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
That was my strategy for all of my 2015 UA flights. And, my 2015 RPU upgrade percentage was a whopping 12%. Yes, 12%

My 2014 upgrade percentage was higher at 19%.

After passing 100K UA miles in June, I am now done with UA for the rest of the year. All of my flying is now on Delta. My upgrade percentage has been very good on Delta. In a few short weeks I will be Delta Diamond Medallion. So, sorry UA, you are missing out on this revenue that you normally would have gotten.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
I remember reading somewhere that the RPU refunds if an upgrade clears within the CPU window, is that true?
No, I do not believe this is correct. If you have applied a RPU and it clears (inside or outside of the CPU window), then the RPU is considered "used".

Originally Posted by enviroian
Huh? I assumed of course the RPU is automatically re-deposited if it wasn't redeemed.

Yes, if you do not clear, the RPU is automatically re-deposited after a day or two or three. Sometimes you have to call in to have the RPU put back into your account.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
My strategy is to wait until near departure when no-shows / bucket opening push R>0, then queue jump the wait-list. This works quite well on afternoon / evening flights, where misconnects are more likely.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by tealeaf99
No, I do not believe this is correct. If you have applied a RPU and it clears (inside or outside of the CPU window), then the RPU is considered "used".
This is correct. It will be considered used.

The strategy here is that if you use a RPU, you are higher than someone who is just waiting for a CPU. GS confirmed this with me last week.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
This is correct. It will be considered used.

The strategy here is that if you use a RPU, you are higher than someone who is just waiting for a CPU. GS confirmed this with me last week.
Before the great TOD sell-off of front cabin space, I'd had success booking an upgrade with an RPU, then waiting to T-96 and seeing if there was a lot of empty space in the front cabin. If there was, I'd call in and un-upgrade, redeposit the RPU, and let the CPU engine upgrade me for "free."

Now, I'll bet that they'd just sell the space to somebody at OLCI.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:09 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
United should really stop selling TODs, until all elites are upgraded. Their elite flyers have earned CPUs & RPUs as their payment for upgrades.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chitownflyer
United should really stop selling TODs, until all elites are upgraded. Their elite flyers have earned CPUs & RPUs as their payment for upgrades.
Tell me about it. Here I wait with two waitlisted upgrades for tomorrow's flights (phx-lax-ORD) with an RPU only to see the TOD upgrade available right now
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What happens when only 1 out of 2 RPU's clears? e.g. tomorrow's flights I applied 1 RPU for both. Let's say the phx-lax clears (the leg I could care less about) and the lax-ord doesn't?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
What happens when only 1 out of 2 RPU's clears? e.g. tomorrow's flights I applied 1 RPU for both. Let's say the phx-lax clears (the leg I could care less about) and the lax-ord doesn't?
Danger, Will Robinson!

Get on the blower and un-waitlist yourself for PHX-LAX. If it clears and LAX-ORD doesn't, your RPU will be be considered used! If that's not what you want, you have to waitlist specific legs on the phone.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transportprof
Danger, Will Robinson!

Get on the blower and un-waitlist yourself for PHX-LAX. If it clears and LAX-ORD doesn't, your RPU will be be considered used! If that's not what you want, you have to waitlist specific legs on the phone.
Oy! Yeah thanks for that tip! I didn't get done finishing the last word in your reply before I was hitting the UAL phone number on my iphone

She took away the phx-lax waitlist, and kept it on the lax-ord.

phew!
Old Oct 26, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by transportprof
Danger, Will Robinson!

Great tip, I need to remember that for myself for the future, thanks. I'm always learning something new from this forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.