Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier® Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Perhaps a question for a new thread entirely, but does anyone know if the language around earning additional RPUs was ever modified when PQDs were instituted? It occurs to me that there are now people who could theoretically have 100k+ PQM but not hit the PQD requirements necessary to get from Platinum to 1K (like myself this year, most likely!). I feel like it would be 'nice' to give Platinums 2 more RPUs for each additional 25k PQM (which is the policy once you hit 1K), even if they haven't satisfied the PQD to get to 1K.
Still clearly states to get the 3th & 4th RPU (& additional ones for each addition 25K) you must meet the qualification for 1K.

Premier members will earn two Regional Premier Upgrades upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier Platinum status, plus two more upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier 1K® status. An additional two Regional Premier Upgrades will be awarded for each 25,000 Premier qualifying miles or 30 Premier qualifying segments earned thereafter during the same calendar year that Premier 1K was reached.
UA is focusing their benefits on those that generate the needed spend levels.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:25 pm

Curious if something has changed in the system. Didn't it use to be that if you applied an RPU (or GPU technically), it would state something along that lines of "an upgraded has been requested with a Regional Premier Upgrade...."

Can't remember the exact wording, but thought it would state something like that when you have been waitlisted. As usual, I have applied an RPU and of course waitlist and probably no luck in clearing as I still have all my RPUs, but when I hover over the blue arrow in manage reservations, it states this:

"Your complimentary space-available upgrade to United First for this flight has been automatically requested. Upgrade requests will remain active up to flight departure time and will be cleared in priority order."

This to me is indicating it is trying to process it as a CPU rather than an RPU, or am I wrong?

My flight it within the next 48 hours and I know it normally states this within the 96 hour window for me, but I swore in the past it would continue to say upgrade requested with an RPU if it still didn't clear. And to confirm, it did deduct an RPU from my account and even clicking on the redeem upgrade presents no options for me since the RPU was applied.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I'm new to RPU/GPUs this year. Most of my travel is outpost-Hub-outpost & I usually clear CPU (unless on an RJ200).

Next month I'm flying outpost-SFO-PHL & I thought I'd apply the RPU to try to sit up front on the SFO-PHL leg. However, my outpost-SFO is an RJ 175 (which I love). I've never missed a CPU on that leg & equipment combo & often there is an empty seat or two up front.

Do I understand correctly that if I use an RPU, it could clear only on the outpost-SFO leg and not the leg I really want it for?

If so, any way to avoid that result?

Thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by greenskin
I'm new to RPU/GPUs this year. Most of my travel is outpost-Hub-outpost & I usually clear CPU (unless on an RJ200).

Next month I'm flying outpost-SFO-PHL & I thought I'd apply the RPU to try to sit up front on the SFO-PHL leg. However, my outpost-SFO is an RJ 175 (which I love). I've never missed a CPU on that leg & equipment combo & often there is an empty seat or two up front.

Do I understand correctly that if I use an RPU, it could clear only on the outpost-SFO leg and not the leg I really want it for?

If so, any way to avoid that result?

Thanks.
Domestically, yes, any one leg clearing uses it. Call and ask to apply RPU to waitlist for only the longer flight you want. If that clears, call back and have it extended to shorter flight.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 13, 2016 at 4:35 pm Reason: R for G
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:14 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
UA CSR: Upgrade May Not Clear When Booked Through Travel Agency

TL;DR A United representative told me that tickets not booked through .bomb may not clear upgrades

Flying BOS-SFO for work. As normal I apply an RPU (which normally don't clear anyway). It comes down to a battlefield upgrade where I'm #1 on the list and there are 2 seats available. Obviously these are sold within an hour before the flight (I'm assuming TOD), rather than giving a 1K an upgrade on an RPU. I tweet my frustration at United and they actually got back to me saying to DM them with my PNR. I DM them giving them the PNR and explain I don't expect them to do anything, but the system is just frustrating that elites are given these upgrade vouchers which are very hard to use. They get back to me saying

I am seeing that this was booked through a travel agency which may have caused the upgrade not to clear.
I work in technology consulting and need to book all travel through my corporate travel department (as I'm sure many other FT people do as well). I don't know whether to think this may be some weird limitation in SHARES or this was some customer service agent looking for a reason why my upgrade didn't clear (I'm thinking the latter).

Anybody else hear anything like this?
Old May 11, 2016, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Getting RPU returned when confirming a ToD

Dear sages,

I had applied a CPU to my LAX-BOS flight. When I checked in, I was number 2 on the list with 1 seat left. I took the bait and paid $299 for the upgrade.

Is the return of the CPU generally an automated thing, or do I need to advocate for myself?

Thank you!
Old May 11, 2016, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think you meant RPU.

It may return automatically, give it a few days. At about a week out, I'd call MP service center. That should be a quick call.
Old May 11, 2016, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think you meant RPU.

It may return automatically, give it a few days. At about a week out, I'd call MP service center. That should be a quick call.
LOL! I've been on the board so long, yet I still don't know the right terms!

Can we just call them CR1's?
Old May 11, 2016, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zrs70

^
Old May 11, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zrs70

Only if we can earn 1 for every 10K flown on UA metal in a quarter

(if I remember how we earned them before correctly)
Old May 12, 2016, 12:34 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Baze
Only if we can earn 1 for every 10K flown on UA metal in a quarter

(if I remember how we earned them before correctly)
2xRPUs per quarter in which you flew at least 10K miles

and 4xe500s per 10K miles.
Old May 17, 2016, 8:14 am

Question on Regional Upgrade

Need help on this as flight is departing in 6 hours.

I applied a RPU to my itinerary (AAA-BBB-CCC). AAA-BBB cleared (50 minutes flight) and BBB-CCC (waitlisted but fully booked - 3 hours flight). Since there is no chance to getting BBB-CCC cleared, I do not want to waste my RPU on a flight that is just 50 minutes. What can I do at this point?

I was checked in last night (within 24 hours window) in hope to get a higher priority based on check in time. That was when there was still a chance for BBB-CCC to clear at that time. I remembered reading online that if you are checked in, they would not be able to undo the upgrade and have RPU redeposit back to the account. So what I ended up doing is that I undo the check in, called UA to get back my RPU. Called twice and they said the same thing that I have already checked in and they cannot undo the upgrade.

My past experience is that you can always cancel the upgrade prior to taking the flight. Even the supervisor insists that since I was checked in, regardless if I undo the check in online, system still shows I am already checked in and she cannot return my RPU and put me back to coach.

Any advise is much appreciated! I just don't want to waste a hard earned RPU on a 50 minute flight
Old May 17, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by qplazm1982
My past experience is that you can always cancel the upgrade prior to taking the flight.
That has been my experience, although I've just done it with CPUs, not RPU. Sounds like you probably got a supervisor who was backing up the first agent.

You could call again or try to do this at the airport.

One issue you may bump into is that technically you must have original fare class available to move back to Y. A phone agent will need supervisor approval to override that rule . . . at the airport they can just move you back.

btw, for future reference the trick here is to NOT apply the RPU to the short segment until the long one has cleared.
Old May 17, 2016, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
That has been my experience, although I've just done it with CPUs, not RPU. Sounds like you probably got a supervisor who was backing up the first agent.

You could call again or try to do this at the airport.

One issue you may bump into is that technically you must have original fare class available to move back to Y. A phone agent will need supervisor approval to override that rule . . . at the airport they can just move you back.

btw, for future reference the trick here is to NOT apply the RPU to the short segment until the long one has cleared.
Original fare class is still available and suppose they should be able to move me back. I am thinking that the supervisor might have noted something down on the record so any future calls would rendered useless...

Yeah, lesson learned to not apply the upgrade on the short haul flight next time and call back to get it added after the fact. But there is a chance that you would run into another poorly trained agent who would want to demand another RPU for that short haul upgrade request...
Old May 17, 2016, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by qplazm1982
Original fare class is still available and suppose they should be able to move me back. I am thinking that the supervisor might have noted something down on the record so any future calls would rendered useless...
I would be concerned about that as well and might just try at the airport check-in counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.