Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier® Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ruhr
I have some GPUs expiring in January, and with no planned international flights coming up, I'm getting desperate to use them. So I've begun using them as I would RPUs. I have a same day mileage run coming up: PHL-SFO-LAX-DEN-PHL. Due to a quirk, the system lets me apply one GPU to this FOUR segment itinerary (maybe because it's same day?). I'd love to do my run in First class. But I'm worried that only the short SFO-LAX segment is going to clear, thus consuming my entire GPU.

1) Should I try calling the 1K desk and have them apply the GPU to only the other segments? (risking them denying me the application on FOUR segments) or
2) Just apply the GPU to the entire itinerary, sit back and wait, and enjoy the ride--whatever clears, clears?
If you can't find enough applications for R/GPUs, I'd just apply it to the MR. I'm not sure what an agent would do if you requested applying it to everything except SFO-LAX; I suspect just give you PHL-SFO or LAX-DEN-PHL requested.

For what it's worth, last year I used a GPU or RPU on ORD-IAH-MSY, and only IAH-MSY cleared. It was January and expiry time, so I didn't pay much mind, but I noticed it was recredited about the same time the flights posted. Of course, it then expired a week later, so that wasn't much help, but it makes me think there is some kind of goodwill recredit for only-short-flight clearings. (That is, of course, not what the rules say, so perhaps it's was just a technical burp.)
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:41 pm

Interesting RPU glitch

I had an RPU clear on an outbound leg of a roundtrip. Then, I had to cancel the return, as my travel plans have changed. The cancelation somehow triggered a redeposit of the RPU.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I would not involve a human in looking at this, as it's a system glitch. Up to you if you think it's worth it based on the clearance odds.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Sorry if this has been asked:

Two separate itineraries and all flights are on the same date, can one RPU apply to all flights across two itineraries?

Thanks very much!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
.... Two separate itineraries and all flights are on the same date, can one RPU apply to all flights across two itineraries? ....
No -- RPU/GPU/miles can not be used across different PNRs ( or different carriers).
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I had an RPU applied to an itn (not cleared) and did a SDC. The change was to an earlier flight and since it was within 24hrs, I was told they cannot reapply the RPU. I understand this is in accordance with UA policy.
However, I've read that there is some success via the 1K line and HUCA getting an agent to add it anyways.
I just want to clarify. In these cases is R/PZ>0 required? Or is the whole thing a YMMV/HUCA situation.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
I just want to clarify. In these cases is R/PZ>0 required? Or is the whole thing a YMMV/HUCA situation.
The policy specifically covers the waitlist. If PZ > 0, you're not asking for a favor. If PZ = 0, then the agent isn't supposed to allow you to add an RPU (or to move an existing request), but some may.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jsloan
The policy specifically covers the waitlist. If PZ > 0, you're not asking for a favor. If PZ = 0, then the agent isn't supposed to allow you to add an RPU (or to move an existing request), but some may.
Ah I see, if PZ>0, then it is not a wait list thus the 24hr rule does not apply. Getting added after 24hr to the waitlist is the policy exception that some agents may do.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:41 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Have a bunch of RPUs expiring soon, so was trying to apply them to some upcoming PNRs but I can't seem to find the RPU option.
Is it just me or did they remove it from that upgrade page? I'm only seeing $$ upgrades.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mr8
Have a bunch of RPUs expiring soon, so was trying to apply them to some upcoming PNRs but I can't seem to find the RPU option.
Is it just me or did they remove it from that upgrade page? I'm only seeing $$ upgrades.
They're hidden on the 'use miles to upgrade' tab. It's a really awful UI, even for United.
mr8 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:59 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
They're hidden on the 'use miles to upgrade' tab. It's a really awful UI, even for United.
Aaah! I see it now! Thank you!

Funny how the new UI uses large fonts and puts all the 'paid' stuff in big blue buttons, but keeps the import stuff like RPU/GPU in "small" fonts.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:46 am

Long-time flyer, first time plat.

Decided to use one of my newfound RPUs to waitlist ORD-YVR next March. When I went through the process online, the final screen says:
Total Price: 1 Regional Premier Upgrade(s) 34 Miles

What's with the 34 miles? Are they charging me in miles for perhaps a difference in taxes (didn't think there would be any) for flying up front vs. Y, or is this just some computer technical glitch? There doesn't seem to be a 34-mile debit on my account, and it seems odd anyway, so I'm leaning towards a glitch in how the confirmation screen shows it.

Tried searching for the answer in this thread, but at 45 pages, not exactly an easy task to see if it's been raised before.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I saw this recently too. I was not charged the number of miles.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I have a connecting flight with a long segment/short segment. Hoped it would clear, so I could call in to apply it to the short leg as well.

But, hasn't cleared and I'm about 10 days out. Is there a cut off for calling in, or should I just leave it be? The short leg looks like it should CPU anyway (J8 with only 7 E+ seats selected), although there's never a guarantee on that.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by drewguy
I have a connecting flight with a long segment/short segment. Hoped it would clear, so I could call in to apply it to the short leg as well.

But, hasn't cleared and I'm about 10 days out. Is there a cut off for calling in, or should I just leave it be? The short leg looks like it should CPU anyway (J8 with only 7 E+ seats selected), although there's never a guarantee on that.
FWIW, this year I had a trip ORD-IAH-BTR where the ORD-IAH did not clear and the IAH-BTR did clear. After the flights, the RPU was redeposited. I know another FTer posted the same RPU behavior. Even though IAH-BTR is a short trip, my time sitting in that First Class seat got longer as the plane had to do an unexpected landing at JAN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.