Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier® Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Thanks to FT I learned something recently which I had not properly appreciated.

I need to get from Europe to Australia and would normally do back to back trips but did not have sufficient GPUs. I actually booked a flight from Europe to Austrlia via the USA on UA and I only needed one GPU for the outbound and one for the return (to Europe). Had not appreciated this was possible and had assumed I would have needed a GPU for each long leg.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
FWIW, this year I had a trip ORD-IAH-BTR where the ORD-IAH did not clear and the IAH-BTR did clear. After the flights, the RPU was redeposited. I know another FTer posted the same RPU behavior. Even though IAH-BTR is a short trip, my time sitting in that First Class seat got longer as the plane had to do an unexpected landing at JAN.
Interesting - short leg is DEN-BZN, which is about 2x IAH-BTR, although the overall percentage of distance is about the same (25%).
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
Interesting - short leg is DEN-BZN, which is about 2x IAH-BTR, although the overall percentage of distance is about the same (25%).
I got an RPU returned once when I cleared LAX-IAH but failed to clear IAH-AUS. It's not a policy thing; UA's systems are just broken.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by drewguy
Maybe it will not work as DEN-BZN is 524 miles. The other FTer surmised that the return of the RPU was due to the fact that the short segment was shorter than 500 miles. Anyways, I happily applied that RPU to another trip where it cleared.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
First for me, had ONE RPU and many GPUs left from 2018. Just booked a couple of flights with my wife one was SFO-LAS-SFO. Had to break up the booking into two separate PNR's, was told while one passenger can mix an RPU with a GPU you cannot mix in an RPU when two (or more) people are traveling and the other(s) is using only GPUs as UG instrument. Seemed strange but no big deal, just split the booking.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
First for me, had ONE RPU and many GPUs left from 2018. Just booked a couple of flights with my wife one was SFO-LAS-SFO. Had to break up the booking into two separate PNR's, was told while one passenger can mix an RPU with a GPU you cannot mix in an RPU when two (or more) people are traveling and the other(s) is using only GPUs as UG instrument. Seemed strange .....
All passenger on the same PNR have to be handled the same. Including the same type of instruments used for upgrades.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
All passenger on the same PNR have to be handled the same. Including the same type of instruments used for upgrades.
Yeah, interesting rule, but a single pax CAN mix instruments. As stated, not a big deal just split the PNR.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, 6C AMB, HH Silver
How/Do I need to cancel RPU request? Ticket was upgraded by my employer, but the RPU had already been requested. UA site still shows the RPU request (waitlisted no less). Can I assume that RPU will NOT be pulled?

Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by model_un
How/Do I need to cancel RPU request? Ticket was upgraded by my employer, but the RPU had already been requested. UA site still shows the RPU request (waitlisted no less). Can I assume that RPU will NOT be pulled?

Thanks!
How was it "upgraded?"

Generally, if you take no action, the upgrade instrument will be returned post-flight if unused. Depending on what happened with the ticket (some changes) can hang-up the auto-return, And a call to MileagePlus Service Center will be needed it get it straighten out.

If you want an early return, calling the MPSC should get it returned early.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If the upgrade still shows as "requested", I would call immediately to get that cleared out and the certificate back. I would be surprised if you are actually in a state of having a confirmed premium segment while waitlisted for PZ, but this is technically possible in the backend and could result in you clearing into PZ which would cause a mess.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by findark
If the upgrade still shows as "requested", I would call immediately to get that cleared out and the certificate back. I would be surprised if you are actually in a state of having a confirmed premium segment while waitlisted for PZ, but this is technically possible in the backend and could result in you clearing into PZ which would cause a mess.
Thanks Findark. Just to confirm... this is what I'm 'seeing'... Seats assigned.

Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by model_un
Thanks Findark. Just to confirm... this is what I'm 'seeing'... Seats assigned.

Ah, yes. I have no idea how on earth they got your reservation into that state, but you should call and request to have the waitlisted segment deleted (and the instrument back if you don't have it yet). You don't have any risk of getting kicked back to Economy, but your mileage credit will get messy if you don't change this before PZ opens up.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:03 pm

Thanks... On it... Happy New Year!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
I have a question regarding using an RPU that's set to expire at the end of January...I was going to try to apply it to a LAX-SFO segment (of a larger international itinerary) that's a little over a week from now, but when I view the reservation, I don't even see that I'm on the CPU list for that segment (and it shows there are no instrument options available for that segment). However, scrolling further down the itinerary, it seems that I'm waitlisted for PZ on that segment. How did that happen? And what does that mean? Could this somehow be related to the fact that I'm in a Premium Plus on my SFO-HKG segment (even though there is no "Premium Plus" yet, and I didn't pay for any sort of upgrade)?

Also, I'll be flying NRT-GUM-HNL (where GUM-HNL is the island hopper) on UA. Is it possible to apply an RPU to any of those segments?

Or, I'll also be flying KOA-DEN-YYZ, and I think I can apply it to KOA-DEN, but have no interest in applying it to DEN-YYZ if KOA-DEN doesn't clear. Can I call UA and ask an agent to only apply the RPU to the KOA-DEN segment?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
I have a question regarding using an RPU that's set to expire at the end of January...I was going to try to apply it to a LAX-SFO segment (of a larger international itinerary) that's a little over a week from now, but when I view the reservation, I don't even see that I'm on the CPU list for that segment (and it shows there are no instrument options available for that segment). However, scrolling further down the itinerary, it seems that I'm waitlisted for PZ on that segment. How did that happen? And what does that mean? Could this somehow be related to the fact that I'm in a Premium Plus on my SFO-HKG segment (even though there is no "Premium Plus" yet, and I didn't pay for any sort of upgrade)?

Also, I'll be flying NRT-GUM-HNL (where GUM-HNL is the island hopper) on UA. Is it possible to apply an RPU to any of those segments?

Or, I'll also be flying KOA-DEN-YYZ, and I think I can apply it to KOA-DEN, but have no interest in applying it to DEN-YYZ if KOA-DEN doesn't clear. Can I call UA and ask an agent to only apply the RPU to the KOA-DEN segment?
LAX-SFO upgrade: not related to your seating on SFO-HKG. If it says waitlisted for PZ, then theoretically you may get an upgrade on opening of PZ. I have no clue how you you have an upgrade request if you didn't make one.

NRT-GUM-HNL upgrade: yes to NRT-GUM, I think no to GUM-HNL hopper, but someone else has to answer that.

Waitlist for KOA-DEN only: yes, by calling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.