Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier® Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Newbie question from a first-time Plat UA member:

How soon before RPU would be made available to the MP account?
It traditionally posts within 48 hours of the status posting to your account; if you have not seen it with 5 business days I would poke MPSC and get them to manually fix it.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by findark
It traditionally posts within 48 hours of the status posting to your account; if you have not seen it with 5 business days I would poke MPSC and get them to manually fix it.
Thanks for the prompt reply! Will do.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

If you don't want an RPU wasted on a short segment, call and apply only on the longer segment.
Only way to do this is to call in, right?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
Only way to do this is to call in, right?
Correct.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a roundtrip coming up next week and one RPU expiring 1/18 and four expiring 1/19.

Right now the one expiring this month is waitlisted on the outbound. Let's say I apply a 1/19 RPU to the return and the outbound does not clear but the return does. Does that mean I'll end up with a 1/18 RPU in my account and the 1/19 one will be used, or will the system pull the 1/18 and I'll keep the four 1/19 certs?

What's the best strategy in this case? The outbound probably won't clear, but it's a transcon and thus worth waiting out. The return is a connection, and the shorter flight will clear CPU, longer segment may clear CPU as well, so I'd only apply the RPU if it's the one expiring this month anyway.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:29 am

I requested an rpu hnl-sfo but 4 days out inventory shrunk from j9 to p2. Got sketched and bought the upgrade for 300 bucks. It says p" class confirmed r class requested" on the ticket now.

Whats that mean? Will the rpu refund automatically?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by be001
I requested an rpu hnl-sfo but 4 days out inventory shrunk from j9 to p2. Got sketched and bought the upgrade for 300 bucks. It says p" class confirmed r class requested" on the ticket now.

You're going to have to call MPSC.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by be001

Nothing harmful but the RPU will not be returned until the flight has occurred. If you want it back sooner you will need to call.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you have time, call Reservations and get the waitlisted R segment deleted. It can clear if there is R space, which would just cause a complete mess of things (I think you be fine to fly in First, but you might lose PQM bonus from the flight).
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Gold
If I change a reservation on the same day and the RPU applied never cleared will the RPU transferred or I will be listed waiting for a CPU on my new itinerary?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ariel024
If I change a reservation on the same day and the RPU applied never cleared will the RPU transferred or I will be listed waiting for a CPU on my new itinerary?
RPUs will not transfer with SDC but if the SDC is done by an agent, the agent may be able to reapply the RPU.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
FWIW, I had a similar situation — RPU applied to only the long segment and not the short, long did not clear, short CPU'd — and it took only three minutes on the phone to get the certificate redeposited. However it's definitely worth taking a screenshot of the reservation with the upgrade request status. I was apprehensive that I might have a situation like Two Bee did and pleasantly surprised not to get any pushback or (cold drumsticks).

Enjoy the 25m CPU.
I just had this happen today. Had originally applied to both segments, but called in ~2 weeks ago to remove first segment as I knew I would clear CPU (should have set it up that way from beginning). Checked reservation after and everything looked as intended. Sure enough, cleared CPU on segment 1 as I expected and received email, however my reservation online said "your upgrade to United First is confirmed using a Regional Premier Upgrade".... oh boy. Called in and the agent insisted that the regional was used on segment 1. Just spent ~15 minutes on hold while she went back to a supervisor (I told her to check the notes, or pull the phone tapes, anything). They finally came back and said they could fix it but for some reason had to redeposit and then pull the RPU again for the second segment. The entire time, my CPU on segment 1 remained and now the correct CPU verbiage is showing "your upgrade to United First has been confirmed". Although thinking about it now, I likely lost positions on the wait list since I had originally requested it ~2 months ago. Probably nothing I can do there, right?

Separate question - I can't remember if it has to do with upgrading or companion upgrades/splitting PNR's (tried to search), but can someone confirm if there is any benefit/drawback to checking in right at T-24 or waiting when you have an RPU that hasn't cleared? Obviously, when I check in for segment 1 tomorrow morning segment 2 will be ~28 hours away but I just wasn't sure if that somehow helped or hurt my chances of the RPU clearing.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
I just had this happen today. Had originally applied to both segments, but called in ~2 weeks ago to remove first segment as I knew I would clear CPU (should have set it up that way from beginning). Checked reservation after and everything looked as intended. Sure enough, cleared CPU on segment 1 as I expected and received email, however my reservation online said "your upgrade to United First is confirmed using a Regional Premier Upgrade".... oh boy. Called in and the agent insisted that the regional was used on segment 1. Just spent ~15 minutes on hold while she went back to a supervisor (I told her to check the notes, or pull the phone tapes, anything). They finally came back and said they could fix it but for some reason had to redeposit and then pull the RPU again for the second segment. The entire time, my CPU on segment 1 remained and now the correct CPU verbiage is showing "your upgrade to United First has been confirmed". Although thinking about it now, I likely lost positions on the wait list since I had originally requested it ~2 months ago. Probably nothing I can do there, right?

Separate question - I can't remember if it has to do with upgrading or companion upgrades/splitting PNR's (tried to search), but can someone confirm if there is any benefit/drawback to checking in right at T-24 or waiting when you have an RPU that hasn't cleared? Obviously, when I check in for segment 1 tomorrow morning segment 2 will be ~28 hours away but I just wasn't sure if that somehow helped or hurt my chances of the RPU clearing.
Reservations seem to have some unintended history w.r.t. particular flights and upgrade requests, so it can take some doing to properly undo all of that. As you note, best to avoid waitlisting to begin with.

As far as check-in time, the final tiebreaker on the gate (visible) list is stated to be check-in time, so nominally you should check in ASAP, but my own superstition is that with an upgrade waitlisted I wait until as late as possible to check in.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Reservations seem to have some unintended history w.r.t. particular flights and upgrade requests, so it can take some doing to properly undo all of that. As you note, best to avoid waitlisting to begin with.

As far as check-in time, the final tiebreaker on the gate (visible) list is stated to be check-in time, so nominally you should check in ASAP, but my own superstition is that with an upgrade waitlisted I wait until as late as possible to check in.
Thanks! I thought that was the case so I guess I'll see what I decide to do in the morning. She told me the number of other 1K's waiting for an upgrade and based on the seats still for sale, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't clear the waitlist at T-24... but this is the upgrade game after all.

To your point - my own superstition makes me think I'll mess up my chances somehow by having my name sitting on the visible list for the second segment prior to T-24. Decisions, decisions...
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
2 tickets/2 changes/2 agents/2 competencies

Have two r,t, reservations, both with returns from Las Vegas to Maui via West Coast. Applied RPUs to both online. Made separate calls this afternoon to remove my name from the waitlists for the shorter LAS-West Coast segments.

First agent (first ticket): "no problem' - click, click, click - "while you're waiting, do you need a car in Las Vegas? ' (me: "no thanks - I'm good") click, click, click, "you're all set - if you go to your reservation page, you'll see the upgrade requested only for the longer segment". It was.

Second agent (2nd ticket): "I don't think you can do that because it's considered a thru ticket because of the upgrade request, but let me ask about it" disappears for a while, coming back: "OK, I can do it, but I have to re-deposit the RPU and then re-apply it, bear with me" disappears again, coming back, "OK now I am going to remove the RPU and re-deposit, bear with me" disappears, coming back: "OK, what is your least favorite vegetable and what did you want to be?" disappears, coming back "OK you're all set - do you need a Hertz car in Las Vegas?"

End members of the efficiency spectrum relative to this type of request. I'm pretty sure someone was coaching the second agent one (inefficient) way of doing what I wanted and the first agent knew the efficient way to do it. Unfortunately the second agent now has been trained in the inefficient way.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 17, 2018 at 7:58 pm Reason: speling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.