Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier® Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: United 1k , Hertz President's Circle, Avis President's Club, Marriott Platinum, SPG platinum
So I am a 1k and I have an RPU applied for my flight tomorrow from SAN to ORD. In case an upgrade clears(highly unlikely- only 1 seat open) and no TOD was offered, how will I know if it was my RPU that makes me sit upfront vs a CPU? This is so that in case I was CPU'd I would like the RPU back.
Thanks!

Last edited by ordflyer18; Mar 8, 2017 at 4:13 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Mar 8, 2017, 3:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ordflyer18
So I am a 1k and I have an RPU applied for my flight tomorrow from SAN to ORD. In case an upgrade clears(highly unlikely) only 1 seat open and no TOD was offered, how will I know if it was my RPU makes me sit upfront vs a CPU? This is so that in case I was CPU'd I would like the RPU back.
Thanks!
RPUs are higher priority and there is not way to tell where you would have been in the list without the RPU.

So not you will not automatically get the RPU back. Guess you can try to argue the CPU would have worked but you willn't have anything to support that believe.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: United 1k , Hertz President's Circle, Avis President's Club, Marriott Platinum, SPG platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
RPUs are higher priority and there is not way to tell where you would have been in the list without the RPU.

So not you will not automatically get the RPU back. Guess you can try to argue the CPU would have worked but you willn't have anything to support that believe.
Gotcha thanks! I see that even with an RPU applied I am not going to clear the upgrade.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Anyone think it's worth burning an RPU to go from Business to First on an sUA 772 flying ORD-EWR? I booked into J (only $125 more than Y) directly, but not sure if I should do it (or if it's worth it)...more that I will have a hard time using them anyways...
If you have RPUs that aren't clearing, sure.

David
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Do Platinums earn 2 more RPU at 100K if not qualifying for 1K?

So as I'm starting to decide on my travel plans for the remainder of the year, I know that I could easily hit 100K miles. The $12,000 PQD is always a bit of a challenge.

So I know that once I hit $9000PQD, and 75,000 miles I'll get two RPU.

But if I hit 100,000 miles, but not $12,000 PQD do I still get an additional 2 RPU or not?

If not then I may change strategy as a 2MM I'll get 2 RPU regardless of weather I fly 0 miles or 100,000 miles (if I don't make PQD for 1K).

Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SF1K
.... But if I hit 100,000 miles, but not $12,000 PQD do I still get an additional 2 RPU or not? ....
The rules say no and my experience says no.

Premier members will earn two Regional Premier Upgrades upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier Platinum status, plus two more upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier 1K® status. An additional two Regional Premier Upgrades will be awarded for each 25,000 Premier qualifying miles or 30 Premier qualifying segments earned thereafter during the same calendar year that Premier 1K was reached.
Only 1Ks get additional RPUs.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The rules say no and my experience says no.

Only 1Ks get additional RPUs.
Thanks - just that I thought too. Just wanted to confirm. So weird not to try to have any incentive for 2MMs to fly UA if one doesn't think one can make 1K.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Easy way to search for upgrade (RPU) availability?

I haven't searched for flights with Regional Premier Upgrades available in some time, and am now giving it a try. It seems that I must search on a flight-by-flight basis - that is, either hover on the arrow for each flight or use Expert Mode to search R availability for each flight.

1. Is there any quicker way on united.com to search for RPU availability so that it shows up (if any are available) for all flights on a given day?
2. Do any non-united.com sites show availability more easily? It seems that Expertflyer has award availability but not upgrade availability.

Thanks for any help!
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
1. Is there any quicker way on united.com to search for RPU availability so that it shows up (if any are available) for all flights on a given day?
2. Do any non-united.com sites show availability more easily? It seems that Expertflyer has award availability but not upgrade availability.
No to both.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I haven't searched for flights with Regional Premier Upgrades available in some time, and am now giving it a try. It seems that I must search on a flight-by-flight basis - that is, either hover on the arrow for each flight or use Expert Mode to search R availability for each flight.
Not sure what you mean by this. If you're searching by upgrade type, the color changes depending on availability - green for available, yellow for waitlist, red for mixed cabin.

Of course, you're probably only seeing yellow, since upgrade certificates are useless nowadays. UA now releases close to zero advance domestic R space.

Also there have been many reports that the "search by upgrade" tool is broken. I don't use it, so can't comment on that. I long ago concluded the only reliable method is to use expert mode to look for R.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No to both.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not sure what you mean by this. If you're searching by upgrade type, the color changes depending on availability - green for available, yellow for waitlist, red for mixed cabin.

Of course, you're probably only seeing yellow, since upgrade certificates are useless nowadays. UA now releases close to zero advance domestic R space.

Also there have been many reports that the "search by upgrade" tool is broken. I don't use it, so can't comment on that. I long ago concluded the only reliable method is to use expert mode to look for R.
Thanks very much for both of your replies and for the link to that other thread.

Yes, I'm seeing only yellow (though in terms of thinking of the whole issue of availability at booking, I'm seeing red ). I didn't even know green existed until I checked Boise (which someone on the other thread had referenced) and found it for a flight.

But having discovered that green, mah, the answer to my first question (though perhaps I phrased the question poorly) would seem to be yes. That is, one can scan through all the flights seeking green...it's just that the chances of actually finding it about as likely as finding a leprechaun.

Now, having said all that, I've found a the thread that lists and details successes re GPUs upgrading. Is there such a thread for RPUs?

Last edited by Thunderroad; Mar 12, 2017 at 5:48 am
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
I often see availability on the p.s. flight on Saturdays. Checking next month, sat 4/15 EWR - SFO. Availability for a 7pm flight that would serve dinner, and the upgrade would be confirmed at booking.

- Tom
Attached Images  
Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: 1K
Consider this. DRO->DEN->MIA

Called and applied RPU to only DEN->MIA long leg and agent said to call back if it clears and they can then apply the RPU to the short leg (DRO->DEN) and if R opens up that will automatically clear. Well DEN->MIA cleared and now they say that it will be an additional RPU for DEN->DRO.

All travel on same day, same PNR.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I applied an RPU on an IAH-SFO-YVR trip. SFO-YVR cleared far in advance. For the purpose of this discussion assume IAH-SFO doesn't clear. If I SDC to a later SFO-YVR flight, what happens? Is the RPU applied to the new flight (even though it's within 24 hours), giving me higher priority for an upgrade at the gate, or is it removed and returned to my account?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 12:10 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zdog2x
Consider this. DRO->DEN->MIA

Called and applied RPU to only DEN->MIA long leg and agent said to call back if it clears and they can then apply the RPU to the short leg (DRO->DEN) and if R opens up that will automatically clear. Well DEN->MIA cleared and now they say that it will be an additional RPU for DEN->DRO.

All travel on same day, same PNR.
HUACA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.