Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier® Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by televisor
Some reports from my recent RPU adventures:

1. Applied RPUs for 2 passengers on a Transcon (west coast, to IAD) + short-hop (100 mile flight), the short-hop cleared 1 month out, the transcon never cleared. Both RPUs returned automatically 1 day after the flight. (I don't know if I would've cleared the CPU on the second flight, the upgrade list was 20 people for a CRJ-700, I was on a lowish fare).

2. Applied RPU to a similar transcon + medium hop (500 miles), both segments cleared a few weeks out. Had irrops on the transcon, decided to cancel the second segment. Cancelled online, my RPU was returned (the website told me I'd get my RPU back during cancellation, even though I'd flown the long segment).

It's unlikely that I'll be able to use many of these upgrades over the next year, so there's no chance of my being able to use that extra RPU I got from (2) anyway even if I wanted to (but I'd consider that unethical regardless).
huh ... that's weird.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I have 6 RPUs between myself and my wife that I have no idea how we are actually going to use them prior to their expiration. I am sitting here with an RPU on OMA-DEN-EWR that I applied months ago that will almost certainly not clear (OMA-DEN only has one F left - it's the weekend of the Berkshire meeting - while the sCO 752(!) on DEN-EWR that was just put on the route still has availability...but would not be surprised to see that sold out from under me).

RPUs are worth little more than moving up in the CPU chain at this point. Ridiculous.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I just had a waitlisted RPU clear today and the reservation got stuck in an "R class confirmed" state (the mouseover text suggested this would fix itself, but the coupon was still in K and the old seat was assigned). Called and got it sorted out, but had no notifications of this so just goes to show babysitting reservations is the way to go.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I found a temporary use for my RPU before the trip. EWR-NRT and NRT-GUM were cleared with a GPU, but GUM-MNL was waitlisted. A few minutes later, SHARE put me back in economy for NRT-GUM. I did not want to call 1K line to fix this. So, I grabbed a RPU for the FC seat of NRT-GUM flight. I will try to get the RPU back after the trip.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I have 6 RPUs between myself and my wife that I have no idea how we are actually going to use them prior to their expiration. I am sitting here with an RPU on OMA-DEN-EWR that I applied months ago that will almost certainly not clear (OMA-DEN only has one F left - it's the weekend of the Berkshire meeting - while the sCO 752(!) on DEN-EWR that was just put on the route still has availability...but would not be surprised to see that sold out from under me).

RPUs are worth little more than moving up in the CPU chain at this point. Ridiculous.
When do they expire? I assume next year. With just 6 even cynical me thinks you would be able to use them even out of EWR. I have had similar issues as it is very tough out of SFO. With the large number of GS customers out of SFO even using them I find I am still often well down the CPU chain as you state.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 8:11 am

I have used 3 RPU's for my family on a domestic leg, LAX-IAD. Does it affect our chances of upgrade if we split the reservations or not?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Patrick Zhang
I have used 3 RPU's for my family on a domestic leg, LAX-IAD. Does it affect our chances of upgrade if we split the reservations or not?
Welcome to FT!

I would keep them on the same PNR so they will have your priority. If you split them out, they will be on the upgrade list based on their status (so if they are lower, you will be separated a bunch on the list).

Originally Posted by nomad420
When do they expire? I assume next year. With just 6 even cynical me thinks you would be able to use them even out of EWR. I have had similar issues as it is very tough out of SFO. With the large number of GS customers out of SFO even using them I find I am still often well down the CPU chain as you state.
Yes, next year. It's mainly that (to be frank) I do not fly a lot of domestic routes out of EWR that are easily RPU-able (lots of TCON or connecting through hubs, as opposed to nearby leisure O&D).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 5, 2017 at 12:00 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Mar 5, 2017, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Patrick Zhang
I recommend reading the wiki here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1550031

The one thing that I'm not sure is what happens if you book a single PNR and then split it before OLCI. I think the prevailing theory is that all passengers will keep the priority of the original PNR.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
The one thing that I'm not sure is what happens if you book a single PNR and then split it before OLCI. I think the prevailing theory is that all passengers will keep the priority of the original PNR.
It was reported yesterday that after splitting itinerary prior to check-in, 1K was #1 on the waitlist while husband dropped to #17.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
It was reported yesterday that after splitting itinerary prior to check-in, 1K was #1 on the waitlist while husband dropped to #17.
I may have misunderstood the OP from that thread, but I was under the impression that they had been told to originally book two PNRs? But I would believe the former as well.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:45 pm

What do folks think about the chances of clearing the really late (12:30 AM) LAX-EWR departure with an RPU on a Saturday night?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
What do folks think about the chances of clearing the really late (12:30 AM) LAX-EWR departure with an RPU on a Saturday night?
Mid to Low unfortunately.

4 reasons:
  1. 28J planes fly primarily on the SFO-EWR route and United Continental seems to like to keep the late night/red-eye flights for both LAX-EWR and SFO-EWR on 16J planes (fewer J seats)
  2. TOD/HOD upsells at check in (FCM)
  3. Both biz and leisure travellers on the weekends so they're willing to pay the TODs/HODs to get into IPTE seats that then step on any elites trying to use instruments (more bidders)
  4. No positive R space before T-24 on LAX-EWR or SFO-EWR (real reason)
Good luck.

David

Last edited by DELee; Mar 5, 2017 at 3:50 pm Reason: add #4
Old Mar 5, 2017, 8:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
Originally Posted by Kacee
I may have misunderstood the OP from that thread, but I was under the impression that they had been told to originally book two PNRs? But I would believe the former as well.
Agree the OP stated they booked separately per the recommendation of an agent -- bad advice.

Originally Posted by bamboola
... Silently cursing the 1K rep who had told me to book two different PNRs instead of a single PNR for the two of us.

So believe the book together but split PNR still retains the elite's waitlist status for both.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 5, 2017 at 9:01 pm Reason: linked in actual post quote
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Oh right. Originally booked on same PNR, but changed to different flight on different PNRs.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:46 am

Anyone think it's worth burning an RPU to go from Business to First on an sUA 772 flying ORD-EWR? I booked into J (only $125 more than Y) directly, but not sure if I should do it (or if it's worth it)...more that I will have a hard time using them anyways...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.