Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier® Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by cece4
Thank you again. OK one LAST scenario if I may (yes I am ruthless in trying to get best value).
So what IF I found an R category flight and then purchased it on Amex travel (United is my platinum airline). Could I then call United to apply the RPU...or even better do it myself online at United?
Yes, usually. The rewards agencies sometimes issue BULK fares which cannot be upgraded by any means. But you always have a 24-hour cancel period (call the agency to void if an agency ticket) so you can check it out.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Had a weird one today.

Booked an itinerary after finally finding some R space. R4 on both the original search, as well as subsequent checks...but apparently it is phantom inventory. When I tried to apply the RPU, it indicated waitlist only.

Checked with both 1K desk and web desk - they say no upgrade available. I then got a rather snotty lecture from the web desk person that expert mode is "informational only" and doesn't mean the information is accurate

I was within 24 hours, so just cancelled the trip.

Is anyone else experiencing phantom R on United flights?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
p.s. 772 inventory is wrong in Expert Mode. I haven't encountered phantom R elsewhere though. What flight?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by findark
p.s. 772 inventory is wrong in Expert Mode. I haven't encountered phantom R elsewhere though. What flight?
Wow. You called that one.

p.s. 772 EWR->SFO UA418

I didn't realize this was a known issue.
Frustrating to finally find the increasingly elusive R space, then find out it doesn't actually exist.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, unfortunately a known problem. It can be somewhat more obvious when the flight has been booked heavily and shows something like J4 R4 IN4 I0, which is patently absurd.

Notably this also causes phantom revenue inventory, where P appears to be available but cannot be purchased. It can also be backwards (flights that show R0 but actually have R space). Using ExpertFlyer or another GDS source will show accurate inventory, but R is not published.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If R is available, your purchased fare can be upgraded at that time.

Award tickets cannot be upgraded using RPUs.
I had similar questions about R class tickets and RPU's so thanks in advance. I have a bunch of RPU and GPU's that expire in 1/2018 so I may look into the Adv Search and purchase some R class tickets. Are there other ticket classes that also apply to basically instant upgrade with RPU or GPU? I thought I saw something about ON seats???
As and aside I travel on biz SFO - KOA and SFO - HNL and use the RPU/GPU's when I can. I have found they will clear but often just at 24 hours, usually easier into KOA.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nomad420
....I have a bunch of RPU and GPU's that expire in 1/2018 so I may look into the Adv Search and purchase some R class tickets. Are there other ticket classes that also apply to basically instant upgrade with RPU or GPU? I thought I saw something about ON seats???...
You don't actually purchase R class. You buy a ticket in a paid fare class and then upgrade into R. The fare class you bought remains in the shadows.

ON is the what one looks for when upgrading from a paid Business ticket into First:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...uckets-ua.html
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA-plat, HH-Diamond, Marriott-gold
Originally Posted by gre2ft
I have a couple UA RPU regional upgrades expiring end of this month 1/31/2017.

Does UA extend expiry date for RPU ?
No they don't, I gave a couple to my friends and it worked for them. Lol I tried to use them about 5 times this past year!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: United Premiere 1K, SW Companion, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You don't actually purchase R class. You buy a ticket in a paid fare class and then upgrade into R. The fare class you bought remains in the shadows.

ON is the what one looks for when upgrading from a paid Business ticket into First:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...uckets-ua.html
Just when I thought I was getting somewhere. OK so I have expert mode enabled...and I SWEAR that when I first did this last week that searching for RPU award was a possibility (in the fare preference - upgrade type drop down box-RPU was there) but now do not see such a thing (only thing there is MUA).

It also appears that now when I put if my flight - ie IAH to LAX (or anywhere) I get a list of available flights and then I have to click on EACH ONE to see if there is any R inventory available (and so far have found 0 on any)??

Please tell me I am missing something important here.

Last edited by cece4; Jan 22, 2017 at 8:10 am
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Just when I thought I was getting somewhere. OK so I have expert mode enabled...and I SWEAR that when I first did this last week that searching for RPU award was a possibility (in the fare preference - upgrade type drop down box-RPU was there) but now do not see such a thing (only thing there is MUA).

It also appears that now when I put if my flight - ie IAH to LAX (or anywhere) I get a list of available flights and then I have to click on EACH ONE to see if there is any R inventory available (and so far have found 0 on any)??

Please tell me I am missing something important here.
For issue 1: double-check that you're logged in. If you already are: log out and log back in. The website (or even parts thereof) can easily get confused and think you're not logged in. I see "MUA", "RPU", and "GPU" options (you won't have the last one if not 1k).

For issue 2: most flights don't have R inventory open, so you're unlikely to easily find anything. However the website also has an issue here: it only seems to show R inventory if you search for individual legs. So if e.g. SFO-LAX has inventory, searching SFO-LAX-IAH would show R0 for both legs. (The upgrade for SFO-LAX would still go through, it just won't show while you're booking the ticket.)
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: United Premiere 1K, SW Companion, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by televisor
For issue 1: double-check that you're logged in. If you already are: log out and log back in. The website (or even parts thereof) can easily get confused and think you're not logged in. I see "MUA", "RPU", and "GPU" options (you won't have the last one if not 1k).

For issue 2: most flights don't have R inventory open, so you're unlikely to easily find anything. However the website also has an issue here: it only seems to show R inventory if you search for individual legs. So if e.g. SFO-LAX has inventory, searching SFO-LAX-IAH would show R0 for both legs. (The upgrade for SFO-LAX would still go through, it just won't show while you're booking the ticket.)
Issue 1 - I am logged in - tried logging out and in again but still only thing in drop down is NO UPGRADE or MILEAGE PLUS UPGRADE

Issue 2 - I am only searching individual legs at this time - and R0 is showing on each possible option. Could it be because it somehow does not know I have RPU Available to use (even though 4 are showing in my account and I am logged in)

Maybe I will go try a different browser next!!

*** UPDATE ***

So apparently that was the problem??
Chrome - shows no RPU available when I search inventory
(or is not recognizing my log in maybe??)

When I switched to Explorer and signed in -it now shows RPU availability.

WOW this is crazy

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 22, 2017 at 11:42 am Reason: Merged update by same member
Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Maybe I will go try a different browser next!!

*** UPDATE ***

So apparently that was the problem??
Chrome - shows no RPU available when I search inventory
(or is not recognizing my log in maybe??)

When I switched to Explorer and signed in -it now shows RPU availability.
It's not your browser, I promise. It is, however, possible that your cookie on Chrome was corrupted, so logging in with IE allowed you to log in fully. Resetting Chrome should solve the problem.

Intermittent problems with a website can be confusing. If the problem manifests, then you switch browsers and the problem is suddenly gone, it's tempting to think you've discovered the issue. But modern e-commerce sites like UA's almost always work in all up-to-date browsers.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
It's not your browser, I promise. It is, however, possible that your cookie on Chrome was corrupted, so logging in with IE allowed you to log in fully. Resetting Chrome should solve the problem.

Intermittent problems with a website can be confusing. If the problem manifests, then you switch browsers and the problem is suddenly gone, it's tempting to think you've discovered the issue. But modern e-commerce sites like UA's almost always work in all up-to-date browsers.
Yes you are right - I had originally closed chrome completely before reopening it thinking that would help but it didn't. After your message I searched how to do a hard reset it worked. Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Expiring RPU, will united 1k CS extend date?

Hi,

I have some expiring RPU that is due soon on 1/31. Will 1k extend these like the GPUs til april? Much appreciated for your response.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by twkidM3
.... I have some expiring RPU that is due soon on 1/31. Will 1k extend these like the GPUs til april? ...
easy answer - No!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.