Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier® Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Sorry that I haven't searched (since "CPU") is not allowed.

If I apply an RPU before the CPU threshold, and R and I inventory do get released at T-72, and I'm eligible for either, does it apply the CPU or the RPU? Is it better for me to apply the RPU at sometime like T-70 or so?
I space is for awards, not CPU, although I think the question still makes sense regardless.

The RPU will be pulled first, and rightly so because it will be giving you priority over the CPUs. You could certainly wait until T-70 to apply the RPU to try for CPU, exactly as you note, but there are two major drawbacks: (a) you will be clearing at lower priority, so also possible you missed your only chance to clear at all, and (b) it's unusual for a flight which is R0 at T-72 to clear any window CPUs.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Sorry that I haven't searched (since "CPU") is not allowed.

If I apply an RPU before the CPU threshold, and R and I inventory do get released at T-72, and I'm eligible for either, does it apply the CPU or the RPU? Is it better for me to apply the RPU at sometime like T-70 or so?
The upgrade waitlist will show you as requesting an RPU only and will use it if an upgrade seat is available for your position in the waitlist. If you think you have a really have a good shot at a CPU, you have to call and un-apply the RPU. You will then show as waiting for a CPU. You can also un-apply after receiving an RPU upgrade (your original fare class must be available) if you think your chances of CPU are really good.

RPUs trump a lot of CPUs, so whenever you think you're not going to get a CPU (before or after your window) is when to apply it.

I know there was at least one Plat+ sitting in coach SFO-OGG last night because he either 1) decided not to act Saturday when R1 showed up with only two seats left and only one upgrade granted after T-96, or 2) he was oblivious to how things works, or 3) he knew how things worked and really didn't want the upgrade. I guess there's 4) he's an eternal optimist...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 9, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Old Nov 10, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Noob question: how long does it take for RPUs to post? I crossed plat recently, the miles from that flight posted in 2 days and my MP account reflected the plat status immediately, but I don't see any RPUs yet (i.e. I don't see the option to upgrade using an RPU yet).

(And where do I even go to view how many RPUs I have?)

Fortunately I already have one good candidate for upgrading: a p.s. 777 with R=3. Not too sure where I should try to apply my other one yet - all my other upcoming long RPU-eligible flights have R=0 and are close to being sold out in domestic first. (I'll be 1k soon, so I'll have plenty of certs to use next year, I'll probably end up using my GPUs domestically for various reasons.)
Old Nov 10, 2016, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by televisor
Noob question: how long does it take for RPUs to post? I crossed plat recently, the miles from that flight posted in 2 days and my MP account reflected the plat status immediately, but I don't see any RPUs yet (i.e. I don't see the option to upgrade using an RPU yet).

(And where do I even go to view how many RPUs I have?)

Fortunately I already have one good candidate for upgrading: a p.s. 777 with R=3. Not too sure where I should try to apply my other one yet - all my other upcoming long RPU-eligible flights have R=0 and are close to being sold out in domestic first. (I'll be 1k soon, so I'll have plenty of certs to use next year, I'll probably end up using my GPUs domestically for various reasons.)
The RPUs generally deposit 6 to 48 hours after the status posts (and not instantaneously). You will see your RPU balance in the large gold box on the home page (which lists your RDM and other status), as well as in the summary of your balances on "View Account". I believe there were some reports of deposit issues - if you haven't seen them after 3 days I would call and ask about it.

Note that p.s. 772s are notorious for inventory bugs. The first question I would ask is "does this inventory make sense?", and don't be surprised if it errors out. For example, this 772 tomorrow fails the sanity check (and indeed has shown IN = R = J since it was loaded, and I have confirmed with an agent this is false):

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 1.56.03 PM.png
Views: 679
Size:  76.0 KB
Old Nov 10, 2016, 12:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Noob question: how long does it take for RPUs to post? I crossed plat recently, the miles from that flight posted in 2 days and my MP account reflected the plat status immediately, but I don't see any RPUs yet (i.e. I don't see the option to upgrade using an RPU yet). ....
A few days is nominal, more experience in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...u-deposit.html
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by findark
The RPUs generally deposit 6 to 48 hours after the status posts (and not instantaneously). You will see your RPU balance in the large gold box on the home page (which lists your RDM and other status), as well as in the summary of your balances on "View Account". I believe there were some reports of deposit issues - if you haven't seen them after 3 days I would call and ask about it.

Note that p.s. 772s are notorious for inventory bugs. The first question I would ask is "does this inventory make sense?", and don't be surprised if it errors out. For example, this 772 tomorrow fails the sanity check (and indeed has shown IN = R = J since it was loaded, and I have confirmed with an agent this is false):
Thanks!

And huh - looking in expert mode I actually see R=0. I was previously looking at the upgrade screen which showed "3 seats available" for a miles+copay upgrade, which I had assumed was directly linked to R=3, but apparently not. I'll wait to see what happens if/when my RPUs post.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!

And huh - looking in expert mode I actually see R=0. I was previously looking at the upgrade screen which showed "3 seats available" for a miles+copay upgrade, which I had assumed was directly linked to R=3, but apparently not. I'll wait to see what happens if/when my RPUs post.
Errors happen both ways, so if you have your eyes on a p.s. 772, best to call and ask for a quote of R space. Entirely possible the reservation screen is correct - while the united.com fare quotes and Expert Mode are wrong, the backend validator is correct (because it will not sell you a ticket or clear an instrument into phantom inventory), and the GDS data that ExpertFlyer pulls is also correct (it being different from Expert Mode is another major red flag). A reservations agent will see the true and correct R count.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
On Dec. 30, I'm expecting to cross a mileage threshold that should earn me 2 additional RPUs. Does anybody have experience with such a late term threshold crossing, and how long the RPU's earned at the end of a year would be valid?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by transportprof
On Dec. 30, I'm expecting to cross a mileage threshold that should earn me 2 additional RPUs. Does anybody have experience with such a late term threshold crossing, and how long the RPU's earned at the end of a year would be valid?
My guess is Jan. 31, 2018. The expiring date should be the same as the rest of your RPUs earned during 2016.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by transportprof
No different than those earned today or 10 months ago. 31 Jan 2018.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Got my first ever RPU's just now. I don't think they had these back when I was a 1K long ago, unless these operate the same as the old paper regional upgrades?

Anyhow, I assume they are valid til the end of next year?

And if I have a future IAD-IAH flight booked, and it says waitlisted on the upgrade screen, I guess I cannot use the RPU? I just have to wait and hope for a CPU? Or is there someway to use the RPU later? Or does that not make any sense?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Got my first ever RPU's just now. I don't think they had these back when I was a 1K long ago, unless these operate the same as the old paper regional upgrades? ...
Think of them as CR-1.

...Anyhow, I assume they are valid til the end of next year? ...
good until 31 Jan 2018.

... And if I have a future IAD-IAH flight booked, and it says waitlisted on the upgrade screen, I guess I cannot use the RPU? I just have to wait and hope for a CPU? Or is there someway to use the RPU later? Or does that not make any sense?
On any GPU eligible flight and PS & HNL<>EWR/IAD/IAH flights, you can use a RPU -- it will give you a boost in the waitlist priority.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 6:09 pm

And if I have a future IAD-IAH flight booked, and it says waitlisted on the upgrade screen, I guess I cannot use the RPU? I just have to wait and hope for a CPU? Or is there someway to use the RPU later? Or does that not make any sense?
You need to go to the "Redeem Upgrade" button to use RPUs (that shows you the buyup/miles/RPU/GPU options, if available).
Old Nov 22, 2016, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
You need to go to the "Redeem Upgrade" button to use RPUs (that shows you the buyup/miles/RPU/GPU options, if available).
It doesn't seem to be available. Let me explain further. I have a booking that is IAD-IAH-DFW. The IAH-DFW portion is available, but the IAD-IAH leg shows waitlist. So if I click on redeem upgrade, does it upgrade me on the spot for the IAH-DFW leg, but the IAD-IAH leg is waitlisted? And is that waitlist the same priority list as I would be on if I CPU'd?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It doesn't seem to be available. Let me explain further. I have a booking that is IAD-IAH-DFW. The IAH-DFW portion is available, but the IAD-IAH leg shows waitlist. So if I click on redeem upgrade, does it upgrade me on the spot for the IAH-DFW leg, but the IAD-IAH leg is waitlisted? And is that waitlist the same priority list as I would be on if I CPU'd?
Higher priority than CPU.

Consider calling and ask them to apply it only to the IAD-IAH segment, unless you're willing to burn it on IAH-DFW, regardless whether the longer segment clears.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.