Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
This thread is for general RPU usage questions. ---- Previous Thread was Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Questions like "will my upgrade clear" are better placed in
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight [2016]
How often do your RPUs clear?

General comments on utility / value are better placed in
My new United Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) strategy

Regional Premier® Upgrades (RPUs) are one-way, one-cabin, space available confirmable upgrades as early as the time of ticketing on eligible UA/UX and Copa Airlines-operated flights. They can be used on any fare and any flight that is also CPU eligible and on PS flights. This includes some Oceania and some COPA South America flights. They are generally not usable on flights outside of North America -- see upgrade region chart for details.

PS and non-west coast Hawaii flights are considered one of the better uses of RPUs since those flights are not CPU eligible and since elites are subject to copays on mileage upgrades.

RPUs are earned by elites -- (Re-)qualifying for Premier Platinum earns 2 RPU for the rest of the year, all of the next year and then thru 31 January of the following year. Re-)qualifying for Premier 1K earns 2 more RPUs and you can then earn 2 more RPUs for each additional 25K PQMs.
Unlike GPUs, UA does not offer an extension of unused and about to expire RPUs.

2MM, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for Platinum in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs deposited into their account around mid-January. 3MM+, assuming they did not otherwise qualify for 1K in the prior year, will have 2 RPUs and 6 GPUs deposited into their account around mid-January.

RPUs can be used for other individuals / friends / family but the upgrade priority is based on the status of the flyer, not the earning elite.

RPUs require PZ space (formerly R) to clear (except for GS RPUs which clear into PN space). For a given flight, RPU /GPU or Mileage+Copay have the same waitlist priority -- what does matter is passenger Status then Fare Class and then the time of the request. For more on waitlisting, see Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown - no exception. Miles and GPUs have an exception if the waitlisted International BF/GF (now called Polaris business / first) does not clear, the miles/GPU will be returned -- this does not apply to RPUs. Recent changes in the rules make it clear there is no exception for PS routes.

Note on most RPU routes, a "connection" needs to be under 4 hours (longer only if it is the next scheduled flight) or a single RPU will not apply. This standard stopover definition for North American flights.

A single RPU (or GPU or Miles+copay) can not be applied to flights on different PNRs (or for different carriers even on the same PNR).
Print Wikipost

General RPU earning & usage questions [Consolidated 2016 onward]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Believe I've read that you can call to revoke a cleared segment, redeposit the RPU, and end up back in Y. This requires inventory in the originally ticketed fare class.

If so, this seems to provide an incentive to try this if T-96 rolls around and the flight looks CPU-able. Do people do this? Is it frowned on? On the one hand I have more certs than I can reasonably use, but on the other it seems silly to burn one if a CPU is a sure thing..
Old May 29, 2017, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
it seems silly to burn one if a CPU is a sure thing..
not sure what that means after my experience yesterday with PHX-SFO . . . posted in "upgrade certs are worthless" thread
Old May 29, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Believe I've read that you can call to revoke a cleared segment, redeposit the RPU, and end up back in Y. This requires inventory in the originally ticketed fare class.

If so, this seems to provide an incentive to try this if T-96 rolls around and the flight looks CPU-able. Do people do this? Is it frowned on?...
That's the way it works. I do it between west coast and Hawaii where there are few last-minute F buyers. Definitely not frowned upon - you're doing absolutely nothing against the rules - not even bending them. I end up sponsoring upgrades around year's end w/ saved RPUs/GPUs. Put friends Mr. and Mrs. B in F both ways between SFO and Hawaii in January.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
not sure what that means after my experience yesterday with PHX-SFO . . . posted in "upgrade certs are worthless" thread
Fair enough - flight is still a ways out so I don't know what it will look like at T-96. But if it's R3 or better after T-96 I would speculate that my CPU chances as a 1K are at least 95%. (Currently 2 paid, my RPU that cleared at 21 days out exactly, and 13 empty on a 738 - F9 PN9 R3). 17 booked (assigned) in E+ though which is why I threw the RPU on it.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If so, this seems to provide an incentive to try this if T-96 rolls around and the flight looks CPU-able. Do people do this? Is it frowned on? On the one hand I have more certs than I can reasonably use, but on the other it seems silly to burn one if a CPU is a sure thing..
I have a flight today with an RPU that cleared on a segment where I'm almost certain I'd be able to CPU (they've been blocking seats in F for oversells). However, the overall itinerary was international with GPUs, cleared at booking, in both directions (I'm on my stopover now). I thought about calling to rescind it and decided that I didn't trust UA not to mess up the GPU on the return flight. :-)

I did consider it more seriously on a flight I had booked earlier this year, but it was a redeye and I didn't want to take the chance, small as it may have been, of ending up in Y.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Flying back from the beach ORF-ORD-IAH on Sunday 7/23 (UA1801/UA1218). 3 on PNR (wife and 8yo daughter are non-status). They don't travel often & I want to treat them to FC if I can. Only have 2 RPU's & I'm not worried about sitting in the back.

Can I apply the 2 RPU's to only them on the reservation? Is it better to apply the RPU to myself and give the seat to my wife/daughter and hope the RPU applied to one of them clears? Like I said, my goal is to get both of them up front if I can (not necessarily to clear all 3 of us).

Wondering what the best strategy is to manage this & am a little nervous about "splitting the reservation" as we will be loaded down with luggage and can't afford to have them "lose" my Plat baggage allowance on the return trip.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Flying back from the beach ORF-ORD-IAH on Sunday 7/23 (UA1801/UA1218). 3 on PNR (wife and 8yo daughter are non-status). They don't travel often & I want to treat them to FC if I can. Only have 2 RPU's & I'm not worried about sitting in the back.

Can I apply the 2 RPU's to only them on the reservation? Is it better to apply the RPU to myself and give the seat to my wife/daughter and hope the RPU applied to one of them clears? Like I said, my goal is to get both of them up front if I can (not necessarily to clear all 3 of us).

Wondering what the best strategy is to manage this & am a little nervous about "splitting the reservation" as we will be loaded down with luggage and can't afford to have them "lose" my Plat baggage allowance on the return trip.
You will need to split the PNR to apply the RPUs as everyone on the same PNR must have the same upgrade status. If your top priority is to get the two of them up front, then I would split off the wife, RPU you and your daughter, and swap seats with your wife if the upgrade clears. This gives the two of you Plat priority for the RPU, but gives up the shot of the third res CPUing.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When does RPU deposit to MP account after crossing 25K PQM? Next day? Next week? Next month?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerryK
When does RPU deposit to MP account after crossing 25K PQM? Next day? Next week? Next month?
Usually within 48 hours. I would give them a call if not seen in 7 days.

(Assuming, of course, you mean increments of 25K after qualifying for 1K)
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... (Assuming, of course, you mean increments of 25K after qualifying for 1K)
And having meet all the requirements for 1K -- such as PQD (or residence waiver)
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:34 pm

Curious thing - I am searching flights from the east coast to GCM. Any direct flight is shown as ineligible for RPU upgrade, but connecting flights show as eligible (though all "waitlisted" anyway) for both the domestic and the connecting international leg.
- Is that correct, are flights to GCM RPU-eligible?
- If they are - why is it only listed for connecting flights?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:00 am

Anyone? Chart says flights to Caribbean and Central America are RPU-eligible. What's missing?

Here is an example:

Last edited by br2k; Jun 7, 2017 at 11:16 am Reason: add screen capture
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....(Assuming, of course, you mean increments of 25K after qualifying for 1K)
You mean the first 2 RPUs will be deposited after crossing 125K PQM?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TerryK
OK, there seems to be confusion...

75K PQM and PQD obligations met (CC or spend) - 2 RPU
100K PQM and PQD spend met - 6 GPU and 2 RPU
Every 25K after 100K - 2 RPU
Every 50K PQM after 100K - 2 GPU

Obviously substitute segments for PQM if that is your thing
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
OK, there seems to be confusion...

75K PQM and PQD obligations met (CC or spend) - 2 RPU
100K PQM and PQD spend (12,000 PQD, or foreign residency) met - 6 GPU and 2 RPU
Every 25K after 100K (and have qualified for 1K) - 2 RPU
Every 50K PQM after 100K (and have qualified for 1K) - 2 GPU

Obviously substitute segments for PQM if that is your thing
Right, with the added bold. It's usually correctly inferred, but people come asking about it all the time (can I get extra RPU as a 100k Plat) anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.