Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the 2015's threads:

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Flight isn't showing up even in timetable but reservation still shows ok.

My parents are going to Hawaii. I booked their tickets a month ago and now when I went to go check for better award availability I can't find the original flight combination
(08MAR UA 602 IAH-LAX and then UA 1296 LAX-KOA), it doesn't even show up on the time table but it does show up that everything is ok in the reservations. Does this mean they have changed/canceled one of the flights?? They wanted different flights, if its canceled or changed perhaps I can get them.

Update: The flights now show up as an option again on united.com Thats wierd

Last edited by Jerseyguy; Jul 16, 2016 at 7:13 pm Reason: *UPDATE FLIGHTS HAVE RETURNED*
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
My parents are going to Hawaii. I booked their tickets a month ago and now when I went to go check for better award availability I can't find the original flight combination
(08MAR UA 602 IAH-LAX and then UA 1296 LAX-KOA), it doesn't even show up on the time table but it does show up that everything is ok in the reservations. Does this mean they have changed/canceled one of the flights?? ....
In award flight search, if there is no availability the flights will not show up. Award space is limited, especially for non-elites.

The same visibility issue is true for paid flights but there more paid availaility and therefore this is rarer.

Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
... They wanted different flights, if its canceled or changed perhaps I can get them....
For non-elites you can make flight change for $75 per passagner ($100 if within 21 days of travel).
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:30 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
I understand that it may not show up if there are no award seats available or in paid searches if its sold out. That is when I went to the timetable to check the flight and it didn't show up. About 2-3 hours after I first saw it missing it returned. Yes, I'm aware that it can be changed for $75 + change in fare (or in this case miles) but award seats are hard to come by at the saver level so I've been checking frequently to see if any open up. However sometimes depending on the circumstances, schedule changes can work in your favor allowing you to change a ticket free if you can convience the agent that the changes made are inconvenient or somehow else unacceptable.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I m looking at a flight from LAX - OGG and would like to go LAX - LIH - OGG is there any way to force this route? do I have to use a multi city search?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Maximilion
I m looking at a flight from LAX - OGG and would like to go LAX - LIH - OGG is there any way to force this route? do I have to use a multi city search?
Multi-city is the best way if it does not naturally occur.

You can also use Google Flights or ITA or other similiar tools.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: TK Elite
If I look up options to fly on United from Phoenix to London, I get the flight PHX-EWR-LHR, with 1:35 connection time. In Phoenix, would they check bags all the way to LHR or only to EWR? Would we need to go through security again at EWR?

I wouldn't think of trying this if I have to haul myself to a different area, check bags, go through security etc.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gobus
In Phoenix, would they check bags all the way to LHR or only to EWR? Would we need to go through security again at EWR?
Yes
No
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:39 pm

If I look up options to fly on United from Phoenix to London, I get the flight PHX-EWR-LHR, with 1:35 connection time. In Phoenix, would they check bags all the way to LHR or only to EWR? ...
will be checked all the way to LHR

... Would we need to go through security again at EWR?...
@ EWR if arriving on UA and departing on UA to LHR, you will not exit the secure area and will not need to re-clear security.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by TomMM
Yes
No
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
will be checked all the way to LHR

@ EWR if arriving on UA and departing on UA to LHR, you will not exit the secure area and will not need to re-clear security.
Thank you for your reply. I was a bit nervous looking at those connection times but now I think I am more comfortable with them. I imagine this is the same for all UA-only connections at various airports (I'm seeing flights via ORD, IAD, etc.). Of course, it depends on the PHX-EWR flight being on time.

British Airways has a direct flight to London from Phoenix but I'd rather it be Star Alliance. So, I might book the PHX-EWR-LHR route.

Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
I know this would have been asked before but a search only yielded old results so I wanted to check the current rules. If I arrive into Chicago on a Star Alliance First class flight (ANA) and my connecting flight to Lax is in Y on United, can I access the united lounge based on my inward flight class. Both flights on the one ticket. Thanks
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wtcmor
If I arrive into Chicago on a Star Alliance First class flight (ANA) and my connecting flight to Lax is in Y on United, can I access the united lounge based on my inward flight class. Both flights on the one ticket. Thanks
Unfortunately not. This is the biggest hole in the star alliance lounge access rules.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:02 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
I will be meeting a friend over at CMH. We are planning on booking the same return flights up to our connection point, since I have to do CMH-IAH-LIM and he has to get to SFO. We would be on the same CMH-IAH flight, but split after that.

I know I can give him E+ on that specific segment since we'll be travelling on the same plane. However, can he also inherit my checked baggage and CPU benefits, or does he have to be on the same PNR?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by joseeantonior
... I know I can give him E+ on that specific segment since we'll be travelling on the same plane. However, can he also inherit my checked baggage and CPU benefits, or does he have to be on the same PNR?
The policy requires a common PNR to extend elite bag privileges. Some have been able to get an "cooperative" agent to extend to family members but doubt that would work for others.

As far as CPU, you may be able to get a gate agent to add an off-PNR traveling companion at the gate. It does appear to be policy anymore but it was or pmCO and some agents will still do it. Expect many to say no.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by wtcmor
I know this would have been asked before but a search only yielded old results so I wanted to check the current rules. If I arrive into Chicago on a Star Alliance First class flight (ANA) and my connecting flight to Lax is in Y on United, can I access the united lounge based on my inward flight class. Both flights on the one ticket. Thanks
If you are flying internationally and provided the Chicago-LAX leg is on the same reservation then as a 1K/Star Gold member you should be allowed in the lounge. When you get your boarding cards they should have 'International' printed at the top.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I'm booked on UA2040 SFO-EWR in I class (saver award) and was wondering two things:

- Likelihood of a SDC to an earlier redeye
- Given the 12:40am departure, which United Club closes last at SFO? Worth trying my luck at the EVA or SQ lounges (I am also *Gold)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.