Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the 2015's threads:

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goldenad
Trying to book a flight using award miles from SCL to EWR. I'm seeing XN9 but I am still getting quoted 65k miles rather than the 30k saver rate. Any ideas why? I have the Chase MPE card that opens up the XN bucket to me.
Most likely you are not fully logged in. Log out, then log back in.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
If you look up PTY to EWR by itself, is it available?

Are you fully logged in? And are you an Elite/have the CC?
I do have the CC, which is why I think I have access to the XN bucket.

The PTY-EWR leg is available for award miles, and I see an XN seat, though for some reason I am not seeing the complete list of fare buckets available

Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Most likely you are not fully logged in. Log out, then log back in.
Hmm, I just tried and I'm still seeing 65k miles. When I search for just the SCL-PTY leg, it looks like that flight doesnt have saver availability. I'm not sure if its because it is a partner airline or what. I figured if the original flight (SCL-PTY-EWR) shows XN9, then it wouldnt be an issue. Or is that XN9 only for the PTY-EWR leg?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hmm, I just tried and I'm still seeing 65k miles. When I search for just the SCL-PTY leg, it looks like that flight doesnt have saver availability. I'm not sure if its because it is a partner airline or what. I figured if the original flight (SCL-PTY-EWR) shows XN9, then it wouldnt be an issue. Or is that XN9 only for the PTY-EWR leg?
What's your travel date?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:37 am

November 19, 2016. The flight leaves at 3:21am that morning.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:44 am

November 19, 2016. The flight leaves at 3:21am that morning.
It's booking the CM flight into G rather than X. Does the same thing if you try to book SCL-PTY separately - 40k rather than 20k. I've never seen that before; perhaps it's the CM equivalent of a standard award? If you're really curious you could call UA, but not sure you will get a satisfactory resolution.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MillenniumFlyer
Expert Flyer is also showing no availability. That makes no sense....the flight was wide open yesterday and now there's not one seat.

I don't get it.
I would guess that there was either an equipment swap, resulting in fewer available seats, or another flight to your destination was cancelled and a large number of people were rebooked onto it. I would continue to monitor E+ availability until departure -- some of those seats may open back up as people find alternative flights, move around the cabin, or as upgrades to business / first clear.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:28 am

If someone signs up for the Chase MPE card, how quickly after approval do they have access to the additional fare buckets (XN, etc)? Is it immediately after approval? Only upon activation of the card...?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If someone signs up for the Chase MPE card, how quickly after approval do they have access to the additional fare buckets (XN, etc)? Is it immediately after approval? Only upon activation of the card...?
It is not immediate but seems to occur before you get the physical card.

Go to your MP Account Summary and in the upper left corner you will see "Mileage Expiration" with a date below it -- hover your mouse or click on "Mileage Expiration" -- does a notice pop up about being a "Chase MileagePlus cardholder" pop up?

BTW for 19 Nov 2016 SCL-EWR @3:21AM, I am see XN0 X0 and being quoted the Standard Award rate or 65K. But there are two 30K options, arriving in EWR at about the same time.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 6, 2016 at 10:22 am Reason: 19 Nov data
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

BTW for 19 Nov 2016 SCL-EWR @3:21AM, I am see XN0 X0 and being quoted the Standard Award rate or 65K. But there are two 30K options, arriving in EWR at about the same time.
I see those as well, but am trying to avoid the extra 12-15 hours of travel time that comes with the discount!
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Also note that Expert Mode is broken for award searches - the data you see is not reliable. You can replicate it as a revenue search to see the real X/XN inventory.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by findark
Also note that Expert Mode is broken for award searches - the data you see is not reliable. You can replicate it as a revenue search to see the real X/XN inventory.
The PTY-EWR flight was X0 XN9 when I first searched this morning (on .com).

The problem here was the CM flight booking into G, which I strongly suspect is COPA standard award inventory, newly available to UA. That caused the UA segment to book into YN, and the whole award to price at the standard level.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Basic Booking Question

Hi folks, I'm currently a Premier Gold member but will become Platinum before the end of July. I need to buy tickets for a trip in the middle of September. Is there any reason to wait until I reach Platinum status before purchasing the tickets?

Thanks for the help!
Defendem (Elite Status newbie)
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:56 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Defendem
I need to buy tickets for a trip in the middle of September. Is there any reason to wait until I reach Platinum status before purchasing the tickets?
Not really, you won't get a better fare, and your u/g chances will be based on your status when you fly, not when you buy.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Why does United carve out complimentary upgrades for EWR to LAX/SFO? Because they can? Or?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.