Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the 2015's threads:

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: United Premier Silver
Quick question;

For those of you who have flown the E175 would you take that FC seat over a 737/8/9?

I am looking at flights home to PHL for the summer and one is on an E175. I've never flown that aircraft.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Personally, I would keep mainline if it were all the same otherwise, just for the oven. But the E75 seat is just fine. I'm in the minority of FTers who have no issues with the sCO 737 seat, so others might tell you to take the E75 to avoid the 737 (it also has the feature of being both a window and an aisle, which is nice).
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
... For those of you who have flown the E175 would you take that FC seat over a 737/8/9?

I am looking at flights home to PHL for the summer and one is on an E175. I've never flown that aircraft.
F on E175 is nice (and some prefer the seat) but no warm meals and no DirecTV (only half 739s have DirecTV). E175's Internet access is GoGo and presently not as fast as the satellite system for 739s. Also a slight increase possibilities for delays in WX situations (preference for mainline).

All that said, I take the one with the best timing. Or if you want to check-off the E175 F box and none of the above are an issue, go for it.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:10 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I don't buy FC, so only get it with an u/g. And by the time u/g clears (when and if), most of the time ALL single FC seats are gone.

But when there is an open single seat, well, that's a nice ride in FC with nobody sitting beside you
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: United Premier Silver
Thanks, guys - good point about the mainline. I didn't think of that. It is certainly something that I need to consider.

I will wait for another trip when I have more wiggle room in the schedule in case of irrops.

I don't mind the 73's seats except for the new 739s. I will avoid those.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:46 am

Programs: United 1K, Lufthansa Senator *,Marriott platinum
PPB upgrade

Am flying from Asia to USA on United on a United issued ticket 016 stock.

The return is on Lufthansa and Swiss and am using points form our PPB (partner plus benefit) account to upgrade from economy to business.

My experience has been that mileage for sectors upgraded using PPB points is never credited automatically.

The online form has also never worked and have had to submit copies of the original ticket showing paid class of service and boarding cards.

My question is that will United do the credits checking their own reservation system considering United has issued the paid ticket and miles are to be credited on United Mileage Plus ?

Again my experience shows that mostly Unuted has told me that my request has been rejected on the ground that Lufthansa or Swiss has not verified the paid class of travel leading me to followup for long periods of time to have the credits done.

This is first time I am using PPB points to upgrade on a United issued ticket.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:43 am

What is the cost to change an award for a general member within 21 days of the trip? Does the close in booking fee get added to the change fee as well to make it $175 total?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RAMSWISS
Am flying from Asia to USA on United on a United issued ticket 016 stock.

The return is on Lufthansa and Swiss and am using points form our PPB (partner plus benefit) account to upgrade from economy to business.

My experience has been that mileage for sectors upgraded using PPB points is never credited automatically.

The online form has also never worked and have had to submit copies of the original ticket showing paid class of service and boarding cards.

My question is that will United do the credits checking their own reservation system considering United has issued the paid ticket and miles are to be credited on United Mileage Plus ?

Again my experience shows that mostly Unuted has told me that my request has been rejected on the ground that Lufthansa or Swiss has not verified the paid class of travel leading me to followup for long periods of time to have the credits done.

This is first time I am using PPB points to upgrade on a United issued ticket.
Unfamiliar with the LH PPB or how it works with UA. Appears similiar to UA PerksPlus.

In the *A mileage system, credit is provided by the operating carrier. UA waits to hear from the operating carrier to notify UA the flight was taken and what account to credit. If crediting does not occur, you can notify UA after 15 days and UA will manually request verification.

So to your question, UA requires the verification from the operating carrier. There have been occasional reports of UA giving the credit have repeated attempts to verify, but that probably should be considered highly unusual.

If UA is the operating carrier, then no other carrier will be involved and this should work better, assuming the upgrade fare class is a traditional upgrade fare class -- R, PN, ...

What fare class do these tickets book in to?

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
What is the cost to change an award for a general member within 21 days of the trip? Does the close in booking fee get added to the change fee as well to make it $175 total?
No, fee are not additive, just the higher fee prevails.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 2016 at 10:30 am
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
When you see something like a http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26910874-post1.html will make you miss your connection, at what point can/should you contact united to proactively ask to change flights? Especially when trying to make a partner airline international flight connection.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by 100% Green
When you see something like a http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26910874-post1.html will make you miss your connection, at what point can/should you contact united to proactively ask to change flights? Especially when trying to make a partner airline international flight connection.
Without a waiver, generally not until the mis-connect is a fact. Occasionally an agent will be more pro-active (especially GS agents) but generally it is a no until a mis-connect is a certainty. This is why formal WX waivers are highly desired when appropriate.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
As a Platinum or 1K member, can you cancel award bookings and re-deposit miles for free if redeemed for travel on non-UA metal?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
As a Platinum or 1K member, can you cancel award bookings and re-deposit miles for free if redeemed for travel on non-UA metal?
Yes.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: United 1K, Lufthansa Senator *,Marriott platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Unfamiliar with the LH PPB or how it works with UA. Appears similiar to UA PerksPlus.

In the *A mileage system, credit is provided by the operating carrier. UA waits to hear from the operating carrier to notify UA the flight was taken and what account to credit. If crediting does not occur, you can notify UA after 15 days and UA will manually request verification.

So to your question, UA requires the verification from the operating carrier. There have been occasional reports of UA giving the credit have repeated attempts to verify, but that probably should be considered highly unusual.

If UA is the operating carrier, then no other carrier will be involved and this should work better, assuming the upgrade fare class is a traditional upgrade fare class -- R, PN, ...

What fare class do these tickets book in to?

No, fee are not additive, just the higher fee prevails.

United is also part of the lufthansa PPB and suppose it will be similar.

Upgrades on Lufthansa and Swiss rebook to fare class I. This is the class for both mileage tickets and upgrades.

When one updrages certain sectors then the ticket has both I class and say S class. This means all sectors are paid for as a mixed award ticket cannot be issued. What intrigues me is that even in this case it is a major effort having the miles credited.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by RAMSWISS
... Upgrades on Lufthansa and Swiss rebook to fare class I. This is the class for both mileage tickets and upgrades. ...
For LH & LX this dual use of I has led to problems for others also. UA mostly uses R (upgrades) and I (awards) to separate the different situation. There are a few other sub-cases but I would think R is what will be used in your case (a chance it might be PN).
Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

delete

Last edited by fumje; Jul 15, 2016 at 8:28 pm Reason: delete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.