Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the 2015's threads:

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: MileagePlus, One World, Star Alliance, SkyPass
So another follow-up from this Q: Recently we flew to Asia and I had purchased a biz class ticket. On the leg overseas (LA to Narita) I also purchased an upgrade for my spouse (she's also Gold Status now) at the gate. When she later requested PQD credit for this UAL notified her that any upgrade purchases at the gate don't count.

Has anyone else encountered this? If so, what is the reasoning?

I'm also a bit disappointed that there were a few biz class seats available but we didn't get the automatic upgrade for the overseas leg. UAL claims that they won't upgrade until Economy seats are all sold out. Is this the case? Would the response be different if I was a higher status?

I have another trip to Asia coming up in a week and I purchased Econ seats, but might want to upgrade at the gate, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by elecblue
So another follow-up from this Q: Recently we flew to Asia and I had purchased a biz class ticket. On the leg overseas (LA to Narita) I also purchased an upgrade for my spouse (she's also Gold Status now) at the gate. When she later requested PQD credit for this UAL notified her that any upgrade purchases at the gate don't count.

Has anyone else encountered this? If so, what is the reasoning?
This is correct and stated as such on United.com. Only fare, fuel surcharge and E+ purchases count towards PQD credit. It is the way UA wants to run the program.

I'm also a bit disappointed that there were a few biz class seats available but we didn't get the automatic upgrade for the overseas leg. UAL claims that they won't upgrade until Economy seats are all sold out. Is this the case? Would the response be different if I was a higher status?
This is correct and the same for every airline I know. UA will not give out free biz upgrades unless coach is oversold. Status does not matter here. You either pay or use an upgrade certificate.

I have another trip to Asia coming up in a week and I purchased Econ seats, but might want to upgrade at the gate, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Upgrade offer at the gate are very rare. You can see what UA wants to charge you when managing your reservation or during OLCI. These offers can be attractive or not; I have seen it both ways.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are no comp upgrades on long haul international flights, and no, having higher status does not help (other than the rare coach oversale case where the may need to bump up some passengers to business to make room).
Eligible comp upgrade routes are documented here --

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../upgrades.aspx

No PQD credit for gate purchased upgrades. If you want PQD credit, you need to do it beforehand and get the ticket refared (but that would have likely cost more money). There's an existing forum discussion on this topic --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-don-t-9.html
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Can I get some clarity?

Parents were supposed to fly UA 1999 tonight - DEN-DTW. Inbound plane diverted to CYS due to weather, and arrived at Denver about 3 hrs late.

My parents called me and told me the flight was cancelled due to crew time out (they aren't travel savvy at all, so they would only tell me that if they were told that). I tell them to get in (the very long) Denver CS line and I will get their flights rebooked while they try to get a hotel and food voucher.

I get them rebooked tomorrow morning on Delta. They tell me CS tells them they see I got them the DL flights, but it was a weather delay that caused the pilots to time out, so it was a weather delay and thus no hotels and no vouchers. They are just going to stay in the terminal overnight. I know weather = no vouchers, but this was a crew time out...or if a weather causes a crew timeout, it's still not valid?

Last edited by BThumme; Jul 23, 2016 at 10:28 pm
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Changing award booking

If you change the flight and airline details but keep the destinations the same, can you still do this for free if booked done within 24 hours I have no status
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wtcmor
If you change the flight and airline details but keep the destinations the same, can you still do this for free if booked done within 24 hours I have no status
You can make any change with no change fee within 24 hours of original ticket issuance.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
You can make any change with no change fee within 24 hours of original ticket issuance.
Thanks one more quick question how long does it take for the miles to post when you purchase them
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wtcmor
Thanks one more quick question how long does it take for the miles to post when you purchase them
It can depend on how you purchase them.

The Purchase Personal Miles states up to 48 Hours.

The Award Accelerator seems to be quicker, well under 24 hours.

Originally Posted by BThumme
... Parents were supposed to fly UA 1999 tonight - DEN-DTW. Inbound plane diverted to CYS due to weather, and arrived at Denver about 3 hrs late.

....They tell me CS tells them they see I got them the DL flights, but it was a weather delay that caused the pilots to time out, so it was a weather delay and thus no hotels and no vouchers. They are just going to stay in the terminal overnight. I know weather = no vouchers, but this was a crew time out...or if a weather causes a crew timeout, it's still not valid?
The underlying creation of the problem was WX (and it led to the crew time out as required by the FAA). None of this was in UA's control or UA caused.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:51 am

A quick question. Is throwaway ticketing allowed if I book using miles on united. I need to fly a route where dropping the last leg uses less miles. What's the general rule on this and has anyone done it without issues? Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
I have an upcoming reservation which I have to cancel
how do I know how much refund (if any) I will receive ?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seti007
A quick question. Is throwaway ticketing allowed if I book using miles on united. I need to fly a route where dropping the last leg uses less miles. What's the general rule on this and has anyone done it without issues? Thanks
1. It is not permitted in the UA CoC.
2. Whether they enforce it for one random flight is usually "no".

But without knowing your itinerary, whether you have international legs, and your checked bag situation, nobody can give you an answer.

Suggest asking to merge into the "dropping last leg" thread for better responses once you address the questions above.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iandm
I have an upcoming reservation which I have to cancel
how do I know how much refund (if any) I will receive ?
This depends on the original fare rules which if you did not capture at time of booking are hard to re-access -- you will need to call to determine.

Most discount economy tickets are non-refundable. There is no fee to cancel but if you cancel prior to the schedule departure and wish to apply the flight value toward a future trip, there will be a change fee (typically starting at $200 for a domestic flight and generally higher for most international trips).

There is much more about this in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...le-flight.html .

If you have traveled any portion of the ticket, things are much more complicated and generally only an agent can answer this.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:04 pm

Hello I am arriving business class from Lufthansa flight into LAX. I have over 4 hours for my connection to my domestic UA flight. I am a United star gold member. Am I able to access the Star Alliance Lounge at the International Terminal prior to catching my United flight. I thought I was able to under the rules?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by FlyGuy24
Hello I am arriving business class from Lufthansa flight into LAX. I have over 4 hours for my connection to my domestic UA flight. I am a United star gold member. Am I able to access the Star Alliance Lounge at the International Terminal prior to catching my United flight. I thought I was able to under the rules?
Yes you are, enjoy

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...ge-access.html
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:18 am

Star Alliance Credit

Hi,
I had a flight with Lufthansa in Premium Economy and tried to credit the miles to my MP account. I received feedback that fares in class "K" are not eligible?! Is this really true? Many thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.