Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the 2015's threads:

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Wooglin
It's just how pricing works. Demand to get from IAH to SFO is higher than demand from IAH to SEA.

If you aren't checking a bag, you can book the one-way IAH-SFO-SEA and skip the SFO-SEA segment, but skipping end segments regularly could cause you to forfeit your Mileage Plus account entirely, so use discretion (and/or don't put your MileagePlus account on the reservation)
Well I can go Frontier for $134 one-way on 10/1. I was hoping I can book a United flight and get into the upgrade list.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by absdotan99
Well I can go Frontier for $134 one-way on 10/1. I was hoping I can book a United flight and get into the upgrade list.
I'm pretty price sensitive, but I avoid Frontier absolutely.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
If I book a roundtrip award ticket from San Francisco to Quebec with a connection in Newark, can I include a stopover in Newark? Does it matter whether it is first class or coach? Does it matter whether it is a saver or a standard award?

Spent 15 minutes searching - sorry as I know this has been discussed elsewhere.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JerryFF
If I book a roundtrip award ticket from San Francisco to Quebec with a connection in Newark, can I include a stopover in Newark? Does it matter whether it is first class or coach? Does it matter whether it is a saver or a standard award?
1. Makes no difference standard versus saver.
2. Canada is treated as domestic in terms of miles. You'll pay 10K extra for the stopover.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Yes, as long as you put in your MP#

As soon as you finish on AC, go to UAL.com, look under My Reservations and you will see your flight. Select change seats, and voila

And E+ does make a difference with 2X2 as well.
Looks like this may be true if flights are on UA metal, but in my case it was AC flights, so zero benefit to having United Gold FF number on the res.

Flights not visible on UA.com, no E+ seating access. Confirmed with AC via Twitter.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JustBreathe
in my case it was AC flights, so zero benefit to having United Gold FF number on the res.
You do get things like free bags and better boarding priority for having a *G number on your reservation.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 12:51 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Looks like this may be true if flights are on UA metal, but in my case it was AC flights, so zero benefit to having United Gold FF number on the res.

Flights not visible on UA.com, no E+ seating access. Confirmed with AC via Twitter.
Ya, if no UA flights, then no E+

I was working on the assumption that at least some segments were on UA metal.

And as mahasamatman says, you do get *A boarding ahead of the masses.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... in my case it was AC flights, so zero benefit to having United Gold FF number on the res. ....
for more on what benefits you might get

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-benefits.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ed-united.html

Some UA elites have been able to get preferred seating on AC aircraft especially at the airport - not a certainty, but worth a try.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Couldn't think of a better place to ask this question, its kind of random.

I'm trying it figure out what's going on with my flight this Thursday (8/4) UA895 ORD-HKG. Up until yesterday, it was wide open with tons of availability, even some RN spaces were available for GPUs. All of a sudden, its completely sold out - even Global First (which was F7).

Interestingly, the seat map hasn't really changed. It still shows seven GF seats open, as well as one in BF, over 65 available in E+, and five in E-.

My only completely random thought is that United booked a lot of cargo, so they can't take any more passenger weight? Does that even happen?

With all those empty seats in E+, I was kind of hoping I might even have my own row to stretch out in for 15 hours. Now I don't know what to expect.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by alanstar
I'm trying it figure out what's going on with my flight this Thursday (8/4) UA895 ORD-HKG. Up until yesterday, it was wide open with tons of availability, even some RN spaces were available for GPUs. All of a sudden, its completely sold out - even Global First (which was F7).
Quite possibly there will be a cancelled flight to Asia and they will need the seats to accommodate pax.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Could be typhoon related. Either there are other cancelled flights or they may cancel yours.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Quite possibly there will be a cancelled flight to Asia and they will need the seats to accommodate pax.
A canceled flight (mine or another) didn't occur to me, as its still five days away. Hmmmm, guess I'll have to wait and see what happens.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
A canceled flight (mine or another) didn't occur to me, as its still five days away. Hmmmm, guess I'll have to wait and see what happens.
There's currently a waiver for HKG through 8/3 due to Typhoon Nida. If it hits, will be chaotic for at least a day or two after.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
There's currently a waiver for HKG through 8/3 due to Typhoon Nida. If it hits, will be chaotic for at least a day or two after.
Good catch, that would explain the change.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think you nailed it. Turns out that both yesterday and today's ORD-HKG flights were canceled. I'm sure they probably protected a bunch of passengers onto flights later in the week, including mine.

Never occurred to me to check the current weather conditions. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.